Sponsored

New facelift as 18 not well received

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
https://uk.motor1.com/news/316109/ford-camouflaged-mustang-bullitt-test/

The current triangular-shaped vent design for the driving lamps was part of the Mustang’s mid-cycle refresh for the 2018 model year, and to be honest, we’ve heard no small amount of criticism from the Mustang enthusiast community over the changes. Sales data suggests the facelift wasn’t well received either – 2018 Mustang sales fell to 75,842 units, which is the lowest figure since 2011.
Sponsored

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
...but the drop in sales 2018 versus 2017 was only 6,000 whereas the drop in sales 2017 versus 2016 was 24,000... I think what you're seeing is a combination of the usual tail-off during a model cycle, the fact that 2018 production year was quite short, people still moving away from cars to SUVs, prices creeping up, the economy, ...

People ALWAYS complain about facelifts/change. I used to love the Vette C4, and when the C5 was launched I said I didn't like it...but I still bought one. And when the C6 came out I said I liked it less than the C5...but I still bought one! (I also hated the C7, and this time didn't buy one - but not because of the looks...it was just too expensive and no real performance step from the C6)

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

People ALWAYS complain about facelifts/change. I used to love the Vette C4, and when the C5 was launched I said I didn't like it...but I still bought one. And when the C6 came out I said I liked it less than the C5...but I still bought one! (I also hated the C7, and this time didn't buy one - but not because of the looks...it was just too expensive and no real performance step from the C6)
Well that's not true - "people always complain about facelifts.." - that may be your position but many people embrace good redesigns.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Well that's not true - "people always complain about facelifts.." - that may be your position but many people embrace good redesigns.
Sigh...no, that was the premise of your original post - that people didn't like the facelift. Personally I do like it, and that's why I'm buying a '19 rather than getting a cheap '17. My point was that people who have an emotional investment in the "old" often make critical comments about the "new" - as per your original post - for a range of reasons (familiarity, justifying their own choice, etc). Whereas those who don't have that investment are often more open-minded. And of course, most of the people on this forum are long-time Mustang fans and so are probably way more critical than regular punters.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

If I had the choice, I would put the '17 V6 nose and rear bumper on my '18. It just looked cleaner, IMO. Never understood the necessity of the hole underneath the '18 headlights.

Change is what makes the world go 'round, I guess.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I like the fact that you don't have to do much modding to the 18+ to make it amazing. Drop in filter, E85 tune, cat delete, suspension, and you're set? That's awesome to me. Especially since you get that manifold on the car already stock.

Sponsored

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
I know this sounds stupid but the 18+ models look 110% better without the front pony. Something about the big chrome pony in the front just throws a wet blanket on it for me. Every 18+ I've seen with a blank front grill has looked awesome to me.
Sponsored