Sponsored

Powered Subwoofer install

juandagis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto 2018 Ford F150 STX 2.7
I have a new to me 2018 Ford Mustang Gt with the 9 speaker system without a subwoofer. The system is adequate, But I want to add more bass. Can I just buy a powered subwoofer, hook it up to rear speakers and call it a day? I keep reading all this stuff about Forscan and LC2i, Do I really need any of that?
Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If the sub amp takes a high level input you don't need the LC2i but you still need to run power obviously. The system is 'eq'd" meaning bass is cut at a certain volume level so you need Forscan to disable that. Perhaps you can find someone to do it for you. I just removed my LC2i and sub amp as adding a sub didn't get me there. The sound system was still unsatisfactory. Now I am replacing everything except the head unit and speaker wiring.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Three years ago I was in the same situation as you; have the 9-speaker Shaker system but there was no shake.

Here's my old thread from when I installed my subwoofer and amp. I've since flipped 180-degrees and installed a full system, but that's not the focus here. You will either need a Line Output Converter (LOC) of some kind or an amp that takes high-level (speaker level) signals. You'll tap into one of the rear deck speakers and you're good.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...at-install-long-post-heavy-pic-warning.78694/

Since then I've learned that it's actually better and easier to run the power wire behind the battery box, like this. I have a monster-sized fuse holder, so had to put it in this location b/c it wouldn't fit anywhere else safe. There are easier placement options for a smaller fuseholder.

IMG_20201007_122948359.jpg

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Since then I've learned that it's actually better and easier to run the power wire behind the battery box, like this. I have a monster-sized fuse holder, so had to put it in this location b/c it wouldn't fit anywhere else safe. There are easier placement options for a smaller fuseholder...
I see you like those strain relief bushings too :) I ran my power cable the other route but didn't know about those bushings then. Maybe I could use one still where it comes through the inner fender

Last edited:

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Those Fastronix bushings are simply the best thing out there IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0841QYB7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are stout, well-made and have a rubber sleeve inside that clamps completely around the wire. Very pleased with them. A regular, thin rubber grommet can easily pull out of the hole when you're pulling the cable through, but this thing doesn't budge once you tighten the retaining nut a couple of turns.

Sponsored

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
I have a new to me 2018 Ford Mustang Gt with the 9 speaker system without a subwoofer. The system is adequate, But I want to add more bass. Can I just buy a powered subwoofer, hook it up to rear speakers and call it a day? I keep reading all this stuff about Forscan and LC2i, Do I really need any of that?
I have a 2018 GT and the 9 speakers.
I added a 12" powered sub (I would suggest at least a 10") . The sub had high level inputs so I tapped the rear speakers.
I changed the back speakers with PowerBass OE652-FDs because they are made for Fords with the same plug.
The front speakers are decent, but the rears are junk.

I would also suggest getting rid of the center speaker in the dash, IMO it sounds awful.
I played around with forscan, I changed it to disable the EQ, but ended changing it back because it seemed to make the sub over power the fronts. And with the new speakers in the rear I don't seem to get any roll off. I play the radio at 15-20 level and it sounds good.

It took a little time adjusting the sub to my liking, but I think it sounds 100x better now.

Is it the best system?....NO , but it sure beats what I had .
Total cost $ 320.......$200 for sub, $100 for rears, $20 install kit.

I did the install myself, local shop would have charged $100 to install.

Last edited:
OP
OP

juandagis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto 2018 Ford F150 STX 2.7
I have a 2018 GT and the 9 speakers.
I added a 12" powered sub (I would suggest at least a 10") . The sub had high level inputs so I tapped the rear speakers.
I changed the back speakers with PowerBass OE652-FDs because they are made for Fords with the same plug.
The front speakers are decent, but the rears are terrible.

I would also suggest getting rid of the center speaker in the dash, IMO it sounds awful.
I played around with forscan, I changed it to disable the EQ, but ended changing it back because it seemed to make the sub over power the fronts. And with the new speakers in the rear I don't seem to get any roll off. I play the radio at 15-20 level and it sounds good.

It took a little time adjusting the sub to my liking, but I think it sounds 100x better now.

Is it the best system?....NO , but it sure beats what I had .
Total cost $ 320.......$200 for sub, $100 for rears, $20 install kit.
What powered sub did you use?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I had 9 speaker car

tossed in an amp from12 speaker car and an acm from it too (enabled hd radio) and then I ran wires from oem amplifier under kick panel to my JL audio 500 under seat

used forescan to disable factory eq and made flat, low level.

bam. Got me a subwoofer using oem signal no lc2i etc

tossed 2ohm 6.5’s in all the6.5 spots too

my car came wit’s 4om

the 6.5’s in shaker pro are 2ohm since I took the amp I upgraded the speakers too. Doubled the sound output from them

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
I had 9 speaker car

tossed in an amp from12 speaker car and an acm from it too (enabled hd radio) and then I ran wires from oem amplifier under kick panel to my JL audio 500 under seat

used forescan to disable factory eq and made flat, low level.

bam. Got me a subwoofer using oem signal no lc2i etc

tossed 2ohm 6.5’s in all the6.5 spots too

my car came wit’s 4om

the 6.5’s in shaker pro are 2ohm since I took the amp I upgraded the speakers too. Doubled the sound output from them
Let me get this right... you got a shaker pro amplifier like this one -->

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144232549420?hash=item2194ee0c2c:g:XG8AAOSwzDBhWz8l

Replaced the amp with it, then wired a JL Audio 500 amp in series with it to power the sub?

What sub did you use?
Sponsored