Sponsored

Powered Subwoofer Install w/ Pics (RF Punch 12)

Thom G.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thom
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang EcoBoost Coupe
So I know this is an old post but it is a great one. I did a lot of reading and research before I ever attempted to add a subwoofer to my new 2021 Mustang. This is my first time ever dealing with car audio myself and I was terrified to mess something up on my brand new dream car.

This post, along with a few others that outlined the specifics of the wiring for the factory stereo and amp, allowed me to replace all of the factory speakers, the factory amp, and add a powered subwoofer and I have been super please with the results.

I did hit a hiccup today though that I want to warn others of so I can save someone some potential headache.

I purchased some hood struts and went to install them today. Unfortunately, they use the same oval hole that my subwoofer power wire is run through. This one:

1655838743584.png

This means I am going to have to redo some of the work, drill another hole for the power wire and disconnect it from the fuse holder and run it back up through the new hole to free up space for the hood struts. I don't think this will be too big of a deal, it was just frustrating to get ready to install the struts only to realize it was going to be a lot more involved than I had though. Had I realized it previously, I could have drilled the hole and run the power wire through it initially.

I did check and it looks like the Ford Performance, Roush, and Red Line hood struts all use this same mounting hole, while the MMD ones use a different solution, though I got a very god deal on these new in box on FB marketplace, so a re-working of the power wire is definitely in my future.

Once again I get to remind myself that it is always a good idea to take as many of your future plans into account when taking on a task like this.

Much thanks to HappySquirrel for his engineering and documentation in helping me make my 'Stang sound so amazing.
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You could always reroute your power wire behind the battery and down to the gourmet located on the passenger side of the vehicle that you access after removing the front right wheel.