Ported Cobra Jet intake on 2018 GT???

S550DarkHorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone know what all it takes to fit this on a 2018 Gt? Also does anyone have any Dyno charts on a Ported CJ intake on a 2018 GT?
Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
You would need a twin 65mm throttle body, and entirely different cold air intake, and a re-tune since the Cobra Jet intake manifold does not come with IMRC function. Plus at the end of the day, the CJ set-up would net you very little extra HP in return.

You'd be much better off just porting your stock '18 GT intake manifold.

See the video below:

OP
OP
S550DarkHorse

S550DarkHorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You would need a twin 65mm throttle body, and entirely different cold air intake, and a re-tune since the Cobra Jet intake manifold does not come with IMRC function. Plus at the end of the day, the CJ set-up would net you very little extra HP in return.

You'd be much better off just porting your stock '18 GT intake manifold.

Yeah I just see how long the CJ pulls on the top end compared to the ported 18. I will probably go with the 18 ported however since it costs so much less.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think it's a lot of expense for a few hp. The Cobra Jet does have amazing pull on the top end. On the low end torque it's among the worse of all of them, but what you're paying for is that amazing top end.

The 2018 manifold makes good power and carries power pretty high and when it falls off it doesn't fall off that much. I'm not going to act like it's better than the Cobra Jet.

I agree with the above, get your 2018 manifold ported if you want a bit more gain.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
If you're trying to maximize your set up NA then the cobra jet is absolutely a step up from even a ported 18 IMO. The VMP test is BS in my personal opinion, they stop the pulls at 7500 I'm sure to give the test a level playing field but they're really preventing the cobra jet from shining. The CJ makes peak power ~ 750 rpm sooner than the ported 18 and carries that power through the end of the pull unlike the ported 18 which peaks and then drops off immediately. Port the CJ and you'll spread the difference between the two even more.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If you're trying to maximize your set up NA then the cobra jet is absolutely a step up from even a ported 18 IMO. The VMP test is BS in my personal opinion, they stop the pulls at 7500 I'm sure to give the test a level playing field but they're really preventing the cobra jet from shining. The CJ makes peak power ~ 750 rpm sooner than the ported 18 and carries that power through the end of the pull unlike the ported 18 which peaks and then drops off immediately. Port the CJ and you'll spread the difference between the two even more.
I agree. For max effort. Cobra Jet. And yeah if they revved it out to 8000 RPM the disparity would be larger. However, when the 18 manifold makes peak power, it does drop off but not a lot.

My friend's car on stock headers and just a CAI, he made over 400whp from 5750 to 7500 rpm (2015 GT). Unported 18 manifold. It's still a great power curve. But yes, the CJ is better.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
@TGGT did the CJ on his 18. Did require Steeda motor mounts to lower the engine to fit under the stock hood. He seems happy with the performance though.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Iā€™ve had my Cj mani on and off several times, and itā€™s been my experience that it makes more power than the stock 18 mani everywhere in the power band. I actually just put the stock manifold back on today and my whole drive home I was missing the power

Sponsored
OP
OP
S550DarkHorse

S550DarkHorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Iā€™ve had my Cj mani on and off several times, and itā€™s been my experience that it makes more power than the stock 18 mani everywhere in the power band. I actually just put the stock manifold back on today and my whole drive home I was missing the power
So what did you decide to do with all the ticking going on??? I just got my first oil change today and im already noticing noises got louder. I want to modify so badly..... but i do work at a dealership so maybe they would take care of me even if i do decide to modify.

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
So what did you decide to do with all the ticking going on??? I just got my first oil change today and im already noticing noises got louder. I want to modify so badly..... but i do work at a dealership so maybe they would take care of me even if i do decide to modify.
Thats actualy why I put the stock intake back on. The ticking doesn't bother me so much, but my rattle is so loud that if anyone gets in my car the first thing they say is my god whats that noise ? I'm going to put the stock exhaust manifolds back on in the next wek or two and take it back to the dealer one more time. If they wont fix it then I'm probably going to sell the car. I love the car and would much rather have it fixed ,but I cant be driving around in a 40k dollar rattle machine

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
If and I say IF you can eat the cost of the CJ mani it is STILL the coyote mani king. The whole TQ loss down low is a buncha BS if thats the case find a different tuner.

I had a CJ on my 2016 tuned by AED and it was a freaking riot on e85 to 8k rpm!!

Sadly the car got totaled but Im in a 2018 A10 car now.

I miss the 8k rpm goodness so bad I may have to find a CJ for this car too. Im not looking to set and track record or run 9s a simple ALL MOTOR 10 sec car with no blower no nitrous no turbo is VERY appealing to me!!

1st time I racked that 2016 to 8k on the interstate i giggled like a little girl thinking OMG when is this thing going to shift. That CJ mani on E85 with AED tune was worth every damn penny.

Now speaking of pennies if you want to pinch them the stock 2018 is a damn good piece for the gen2 2015-2017 crowd.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
Very well put together video with the comparison of intake manifolds! Thank you for that valuable information!

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If and I say IF you can eat the cost of the CJ mani it is STILL the coyote mani king. The whole TQ loss down low is a buncha BS if thats the case find a different tuner.

I had a CJ on my 2016 tuned by AED and it was a freaking riot on e85 to 8k rpm!!

Sadly the car got totaled but Im in a 2018 A10 car now.

I miss the 8k rpm goodness so bad I may have to find a CJ for this car too. Im not looking to set and track record or run 9s a simple ALL MOTOR 10 sec car with no blower no nitrous no turbo is VERY appealing to me!!

1st time I racked that 2016 to 8k on the interstate i giggled like a little girl thinking OMG when is this thing going to shift. That CJ mani on E85 with AED tune was worth every damn penny.

Now speaking of pennies if you want to pinch them the stock 2018 is a damn good piece for the gen2 2015-2017 crowd.
Makes me wonder exactly how that car got totalled...??
Sponsored