Sponsored

Yet another Ported Cobra Jet install completed...

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting, I will definitely pay attention to this when the time comes.... That app, just search for Tremec in the app store?
Correct
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So what is the magic angle or are you aiming for stock angle? I don’t know what the stock angle is either.

I already have the QA1 carbon and didn’t do anything special and am not having any issues but I may measure and try to lower my trans to restore the correct angle. Just need that angle.
As long as you’re over 1* you’ll avoid wearing out the yoke bearings prematurely. Any figure above that but under 3* is generally considered to be completely acceptable.
This link might help out a little.
The video will help to understand the impact of numbers done wrong.
https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/driveline-angles.html

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
looks good. so jelly!

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you’re over 1* you’ll avoid wearing out the yoke bearings prematurely. Any figure above that but under 3* is generally considered to be completely acceptable.
This link might help out a little.
The video will help to understand the impact of numbers done wrong.
https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/driveline-angles.html
One more question, what spot did you use on the trans to measure the first angle, using the Tremec app? I was thinking maybe the bottom of the pan? Thanks.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
One more question, what spot did you use on the trans to measure the first angle, using the Tremec app? I was thinking maybe the bottom of the pan? Thanks.
Angle 1 is measured vertically at the flange.
Angle 2 is the angle of the driveshaft (horizontal).

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Angle 1 is measured vertically at the flange.
Angle 2 is the angle of the driveshaft (horizontal).
I was hoping you wouldn't say that for Angle 1. I don't really have any room up there because I have a BMR driveshaft loop in the way of getting my phone up there on it. Guess I will get creative with it.

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have a six speed and lowered my engine 1/2 inch. The jerkyness and thuds as I shift up and down as the driveshaft slams the joint was ridiculous. I just lowered my trans a 1/4 inch to fix the angle and it’s way better but there’s still some Mild thudding/jerkyness. I think if I go another 1/4 down on the trans it’ll be fixed. Fingers crossed and I hope the crossmember bolts are long enough for a half inch drop. These companies that sell motor brackets and mounts should be putting a disclaimer out there that pinion angle will be affected and things will need to be adjusted accordingly!

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a six speed and lowered my engine 1/2 inch. The jerkyness and thuds as I shift up and down as the driveshaft slams the joint was ridiculous. I just lowered my trans a 1/4 inch to fix the angle and it’s way better but there’s still some Mild thudding/jerkyness. I think if I go another 1/4 down on the trans it’ll be fixed. Fingers crossed and I hope the crossmember bolts are long enough for a half inch drop. These companies that sell motor brackets and mounts should be putting a disclaimer out there that pinion angle will be affected and things will need to be adjusted accordingly!
Mine bangs a bit also and I have 10speed. It happens in on/off throttle situations at lower speeds. I am getting ready to put 1/2 inch spacers in between the chassis and tranny crossmember to lower mine also. You think doing this will end up jacking up the pinion angle too bad? What are you using for spacers?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
So, @jmeiers , your Kooks headers and ported Cobra Jet IM improved your mph by a nice amount.

Your et and mph corrected to 0 DA for both runs in your signature:
[email protected]
[email protected]

+3.8 mph, not too shabby!

Your signature says "best ET" and "best mph", so I'm not sure those ets and mph coincide with each other.

Is the 3,875 lbs w/ driver, or no driver?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, @jmeiers , your Kooks headers and ported Cobra Jet IM improved your mph by a nice amount.

Your et and mph corrected to 0 DA for both runs in your signature:
[email protected]
[email protected]

+3.8 mph, not too shabby!

Your signature says "best ET" and "best mph", so I'm not sure those ets and mph coincide with each other.

Is the 3,875 lbs w/ driver, or no driver?
Thanks. It is 3,875 with driver. The “Best” numbers are from the same passes in both cases. I was hoping for more but I left after getting the 10.99 since that was my ultimate goal and I quit while I was ahead. There was more in there though because I spun a bit on launch with the transbrake. Getting ready to order a converter so I can go back to footbrake launches.

Some other differences about the runs, although not sure how much impact, the IATs at launch were 55 degrees and engine was barely warmed up on the 11.06 pass because it was a private track rental. On the 10.99 pass from last weekend, my IATs were 109 degrees at launch and my engine was heatsoaked from the staging lanes of a test-n-tune. Both passes were done at the same track though.

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Curious, is a ported CJ good for a turbo setup or would the GT350/ported 2018 be better? Really want to get a CJ for an NA setup, but would like to be able to reuse it with a turbo if I ever went that route. I get the financials and that is a lot of money over a 2018 for what you get, but I have yet to see anyone run a CJ intake and an FI setup.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious, is a ported CJ good for a turbo setup or would the GT350/ported 2018 be better? Really want to get a CJ for an NA setup, but would like to be able to reuse it with a turbo if I ever went that route. I get the financials and that is a lot of money over a 2018 for what you get, but I have yet to see anyone run a CJ intake and an FI setup.
The CJ is plastic like the stocker so I don’t see strength being a problem. I just think you don’t see a CJ with boost often because most go from stock to boost and all the kits are designed that way as far as inlet piping. I am sure you could get a centri blower or turbo to work with the CJ. Who knows, I may try it eventually once I run out of N/A stuff to do.

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Mine bangs a bit also and I have 10speed. It happens in on/off throttle situations at lower speeds. I am getting ready to put 1/2 inch spacers in between the chassis and tranny crossmember to lower mine also. You think doing this will end up jacking up the pinion angle too bad? What are you using for spacers?
Yes, low speed and shifting. My buddy is a master mechanic and I took it to his shop we rode in it he felt it then we put it on the lift and he said the pinion angle is off. After studying the driveline for a minute he said if I lower the trans crossmember it should recorrect, so I said ok I’ll drop that half inch as well. He told me to try a 1/4 inch first because as you go back on the driveline you should need less because of the angle. I put in gold grade 8 washers three on each side I believe that measured out to a 1/4 inch on a tape measure. After I drove it I noticed immediately it was way less harsh, but it wasn’t completely gone. I think I may need 3/8 drop or the whole 1/2 inch drop.

OP
OP
jmeiers

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, low speed and shifting. My buddy is a master mechanic and I took it to his shop we rode in it he felt it then we put it on the lift and he said the pinion angle is off. After studying the driveline for a minute he said if I lower the trans crossmember it should recorrect, so I said ok I’ll drop that half inch as well. He told me to try a 1/4 inch first because as you go back on the driveline you should need less because of the angle. I put in gold grade 8 washers three on each side I believe that measured out to a 1/4 inch on a tape measure. After I drove it I noticed immediately it was way less harsh, but it wasn’t completely gone. I think I may need 3/8 drop or the whole 1/2 inch drop.
I just hit up Lowe’s for some washers and got enough to do 1/2” on each of the 4 bolts of the trans crossmember. I guess the stock bolts were long enough for the 1/4” then? Wonder if they will be long enough for the whole 1/2” drop? Thanks.
Sponsored