Going Ported Cobra Jet manifold on my 2018 Mustang GT A10

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My 11.06 pass was launched at idle. This weekend I will be launching off the transbrake ~3,000 rpms to start. I will adjust depending on how well the track is hooking or not. I have a QA1 carbon driveshaft and GForce Renegade axles so theoretically it should hold up. I have the complete VMS wheel setup with the same 305/45/17 ET Street Rs on the back. I also now have my rear camber set to nearly vertical -0.5. I had some -2.5 rear camber on my 11.06 run.
Curious to see what you run! I have the Chromoly DS, FP half Shafts and a slew of BMR Suspension Parts with Vikings. Next upgrade is the CJ, but like you - I want to see that 10 second number before I do anything CJ related.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
My 11.06 pass was launched at idle. This weekend I will be launching off the transbrake ~3,000 rpms to start. I will adjust depending on how well the track is hooking or not. I have a QA1 carbon driveshaft and GForce Renegade axles so theoretically it should hold up. I have the complete VMS wheel setup with the same 305/45/17 ET Street Rs on the back. I also now have my rear camber set to nearly vertical -0.5. I had some -2.5 rear camber on my 11.06 run.
I think I would try footbrake or idle launch for the first run just incase the driveshaft doesnt like the transbrake and to see if the track will hold even with just the footbrake.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Off the transbrake I'd be using a lot more tire than that. Just some friendly advice.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Off the transbrake I'd be using a lot more tire than that. Just some friendly advice.
I agree I think bias ply slicks would dampen the driveline shock of the transbrake and give a better chance of hooking, but then you also need bias ply frontrunners.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I agree I think bias ply slicks would dampen the driveline shock of the transbrake and give a better chance of hooking, but then you also need bias ply frontrunners.
Yep. Goes with the territory. I see a lotta peeps go from hero to zero in less than 60 ft because of tires (me for one).

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the N/A Steeda car uses the same tire and higher stall converter and transbrake launches in the 1.4’s.

I will make first pass with what I know works on my car, off idle, and then go for the transbrake after that. If I blow the tires off, then I will go back to what works. My rear tires slip on the rim so that may help the initial hit off the brake.

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
So I decided to go the Cobra Jet manifold route. I'll update this thread as I go along. I also have I texas speed headers and 3" high flow catted xpipe / JLT intake.

With stock manifold and throttle body I made 476hp.

I initially tried the ported 18 manifold and ported oem throttle body route, but I actually went down in power (469hp). PBD couldn't see why that was case, I sent them tons of logs and the tune was doing what it was supposed to be doing. No knock. Lots of timing with good quality e85. The power just wasn't there like it should compared to stock. Went back to stock manifold and throttle body and power went back up.

Not being satisfied with that, I'm going cobra jet manifold. I don't want to go boosted, I want to stay N/A so this is the next progression. Goal is simply to hit 10's at 125+ without having to take out the back seat and with the street drag radials I have. I've seen how the A10 Cobra jets are running 128+ down here in Florida. That's faster than my old stock Hellcat with a CAI (127 trap). Though, I'd be happy to get somewhat close to that without having to remove the back seats, which I actually use (for the kids). For reference I went 11.2 @ 123 with stock manifold and throttle body and full weight on E85.

---

So far I bought a ported cobra jet manifold being worked on by Brett Barber at AFS. That should be done in a few days.

Haven't purchased a throttle body yet, but looking at the VMP 69mm twinjet throttle body.

For intake I'm looking at the tried and true PMAS cobra jet intake.

To lower the engine I'm looking at the steeda motor mounts.

Rob Shoemaker said one of his client cars went 10.9 @ 128 with the cobra jet setup similar to what I'll have, but mine will be ported, hopefully bringing some extra power all across the powerband.

I'm patient for a black friday deal, but I want this to be installed and tuned prior to Black Friday. Hint to vendors reading this lol.
Am also a N/A 10r80 owner driver full weight minus passenger seat 3540 lb car and I’m no light weight my self 220 lbs. on a good day lol.. E-85 catless ported GT 350 manifold Bullitt T.B Steeda cai circle D converter MT 305s VMS wheels full drag pack 10:83 @ 128 1.59 60ft 6.9 1/8th mile last month 500 DA have done minor changes since rear seat delete weld wheels S77 drag pack and C-85 has gotten me an 1/8th mile 6.8 1.49 60ft it’s looking like 10:6s 1/4 time fingers crossed will be going to 1/4 track next week and will post times and slips. My buddies all running the stock ported Brett barber 18 manifold 10r80 stock converter full weight minus pass seat 10:99 127 mph 1.6 60ft 7.0 1/8 that’s pretty impressive to me.

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
The second maf hole was perfectly blocked off, didn't have to do anything.

OK so since taking apart and putting back the steed cj CAI, car no longer dies at idle under load (like at a stoplight). Idle is also much more stable. I don't know what happened, or what I did to correct it. Maybe it's the car fucking with me for putting on all these mods with less than 3k miles on the odometer.
not to worrie my car had cai and e85 tune less then 100 miles on way home from dealer we put torco and 91 racing on the mexico streets in less then 2 hour old car they love it lol

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
This weekend I will be launching off the transbrake ~3,000 rpms to start.
So how did you do? my CJ will be installed in a few weeks.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for asking but the track got shut down over Coronavirus. However, I was able to get on a track rental this upcoming Sunday at Maryland International Raceway. As of right now, it is still going to happen and they are limiting the whole thing to 50 people to meet the current social distance rules. DA should be very good!

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for asking but the track got shut down over Coronavirus. However, I was able to get on a track rental this upcoming Sunday at Maryland International Raceway. As of right now, it is still going to happen and they are limiting the whole thing to 50 people to meet the current social distance rules. DA should be very good!
Lucky, Texas Motorplex can only have 10 TOTAL people at the track, so with the two track preppers and two FIRE/EMT, leaves 6 people allowed to race. Hope you are able to get a pass in this weekend man!

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky, Texas Motorplex can only have 10 TOTAL people at the track, so with the two track preppers and two FIRE/EMT, leaves 6 people allowed to race. Hope you are able to get a pass in this weekend man!
Well, at MIR, the 50 total is actually including 10 track workers. Then each car signed up is allowed a total of 3 (1 driver, 2 crew). So dividing the 40 potential people left, that is 13.3 cars total allowed to race. I will be able to run almost repeatedly until all my E85 is gone. Ha!

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang

I made a separate post of my CJ install if you guys want to check it out.

Thanks to Heavyhitter, he helped out quite a bit.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...overview-install-on-2018.138373/#post-2842450
Sponsored