Sponsored

MMR OPG's

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I called TSS today and he would not reveal the supplier.
I put in a "guesstimate" quote request to a place that specializes in making OPG but I'm cringing at what they might come back with for minimum order quantity. It's typically 500 units if they're a small shop and 5000 units for any kind of commercial customer-base.

Anyone got the CAD for these parts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
I put in a "guesstimate" quote request to a place that specializes in making OPG but I'm cringing at what they might come back with for minimum order quantity. It's typically 500 units if they're a small shop and 5000 units for any kind of commercial customer-base.

Anyone got the CAD for these parts?
Would be ideal to find out who TSS supplier is if you dont get a reply i will call them again. Buddy there said they only order in small quantities . What makes this place you contacted any different that would make you contact them , just curious. asking for a friend :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What makes this place you contacted any different that would make you contact them
just some searching and a hunch.

I do have a place I've had make small runs for me but I can't get a real quote from them without an actual drawing - their minimum order price starts to resemble reasonable at qty=30 but 50 is normally the inflection point.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
just some searching and a hunch.

I do have a place I've had make small runs for me but I can't get a real quote from them without an actual drawing - their minimum order price starts to resemble reasonable at qty=30 but 50 is normally the inflection point.
That makes sense,no point setting up for any less quantity. Hard to say how much demand is out there.

Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Here were the boundary gears out of my old engine. Currently running Ford Cobra Jet OPG.

IMG_20200509_221951.jpg

IMG_20200509_221518.jpg
WTF, that doesnt look good. Appears the tolerance was too tight. I wonder since the billet is harder, the scaring looks worse then the factory gears.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WTF, that doesnt look good. Appears the tolerance was too tight. I wonder since the billet is harder, the scaring looks worse then the factory gears.
actually the tolerances for the shaft and bore are likely WAY too loose, especially the shaft. Remember the outer ring floats within it's basket and the little one floats on the shaft. if those tolerances are too loose, you get rubbing at the apex of tooth/mound even if when held by hand it all seem reasonable.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I got a set of boundary gears that I plan on putting in soon. After seeing this I want to do a hardness check on mine using equipment at work. I am unfamiliar with the housing that this sits in- will the "burr" caused by the divet in the hardness test cause a problem in the housing? Do I need to slightly sand down the "burr"?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
will the "burr" caused by the divet in the hardness test cause a problem in the housing?
depends where you put the burr. Yeah I know, not helpful. :) there's 2 (more?) sweep surfaces but you'd have to look at the housing to find the perfect spot.

Or just slap some 600+grit on your granite surface plate (or 1/4"+ piece of glass) and polish it up. If you really want to go crazy break out the Dykem.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
depends where you put the burr. Yeah I know, not helpful. :) there's 2 (more?) sweep surfaces but you'd have to look at the housing to find the perfect spot.

Or just slap some 600+grit on your granite surface plate (or 1/4"+ piece of glass) and polish it up. If you really want to go crazy break out the Dykem.
That's what I will do. I have a worksharp that uses a 1/2" thick piece of rotating glass that I can go all the way to 3000 grit on it if I want. I use it for sharpening chisels and planer blades.

Sponsored
OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
That's what I will do. I have a worksharp that uses a 1/2" thick piece of rotating glass that I can go all the way to 3000 grit on it if I want. I use it for sharpening chisels and planer blades.
As stated above all thats required is a flat surface such as glass and a very minor polish with some oil to reveal any high spots.I can not feel the dimples on my gears after testing the intrusion is minor. There is also a test called a Vickers test that uses a smaller diamond to test the hardness of the surface itself.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got an answer to Livernois.
the gen 3 correct number for just oilpump gear is LPP701126 ($200)
lpp701149 is the cmbo for gen3 crank and oil pump combo ($300)

significantly cheaper than TSS and the like. Question is 'why'? I've posed that question to them as well.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP thanks for the addt’l images of your gear set. I don’t think anyone is calling you a liar at all. We’re just asking for additional info to support the thread topic and concerns.

OPG’s are one of the most important upgrades for the Coyotes, so the discussion is just as equally important. Any factual testing of the metals or gear sets is also a plus for those wanting to know more.

—-
I don’t’ know anything about MMR and “Gavin” as you stated in your follow up post, so I’m staying out of that part of the discussion.

——

So are there varied versions of the MMR Coyote oil pump gear sets out there? I’m seeing online images where the gear sets look different. Some appear to have etched laser logos (and what appears to be a dull composition) as well other images with stamped logos and a higher quality advertised “billet” surface as the example pics show:

400224-10__32700.1555954675.jpg

Look at the logos and surface quality when making these pics really large:
433200XR___50786.1595466133.jpg

Supposed “billet” quality and in these images you can see what appears to be a MMR part or serial #:

433200XRR_.jpg

1615920680774.jpeg

1615920999902.jpeg

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
OP thanks for the addt’l images of your gear set. I don’t think anyone is calling you a liar at all. We’re just asking for additional info to support the thread topic and concerns.

OPG’s are one of the most important upgrades for the Coyotes, so the discussion is just as equally important. Any factual testing of the metals or gear sets is also a plus for those wanting to know more.

—-
I don’t’ know anything about MMR and “Gavin” as you stated in your follow up post, so I’m staying out of that part of the discussion.

——

So are there varied versions of the MMR Coyote oil pump gear sets out there? I’m seeing online images where the gear sets look different. Some appear to have etched laser logos (and what appears to be a dull composition) as well other images with stamped logos and a higher quality advertised “billet” surface as the example pics show:

Look at the logos and surface quality when making these pics really large:

Supposed “billet” quality and in these images you can see what appears to be a MMR part or serial #:

The ones on top almost look like a Chinese rip off. Probably similar to those Chinese Tial BOV's out there.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
between that series of images the cut-outs for the crank key are very different.
Sponsored