Sponsored

Polisher advice/recommendation needed

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Guys I think I’m gonna look into a polisher. As a frame of reference the last buffer I had was a big ol’ honkin’ Black and Decker variable speed rotary machine that would probably go completely through the metal if you wanted it to. It weighed a natural kiloton. Those days are way past gone. Now I need something pretty lightweight to handle and preferably cordless.

This will only be used to maintain my two newer Mustangs that don’t need correction and get only nice day usage. I won’t use fancy products, mostly Meguiar’s waxes and maybe their Hybrid Liquid Ceramic Wax. I’ll probably apply a base protection/shine product like their A12 Cleaner Wax twice a year and in between use their Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Spray Wax.

I‘m not looking to cheap out but no need in buying a lot more than I can use or need. I’d appreciate your thoughts.

There‘s something about me that wonders if I should just stick to hand application but I’m no spring chicken and if I could lighten the workload it would be good.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is a very interesting proposition, what machine to get and when. There are a few different ways you can approach this, which I will break down shortly.

Firstly, this is the progression of polishers in order of what to buy first. Now, you may only want to get the first one and be happy with that, if you as deranged as me, then obviously you will add other machines to complement each other.

1/A 5 inch machine. This will do the bulk of the work, the other areas will then be taken care of by hand or the other two machines. I would definitely choose a 5 inch machine over a larger 6 inch, the 5 is a happy medium for size.

2/A 3 inch machine. This will get into most other areas with ease.

3/A 1/2 inch machine. This is a luxury item for getting into those last 1% of areas.

From here, you need to decide what power source you want, electric or battery. Ten years ago, the choice would have been a clear winner to electric, but battery machines have progressed so far that it's actually so much more convenient not having a power cord hanging over your shoulder.

Here are a couple of machine suggestions for you, focusing on the 5 inch machines for now (Please Note - Being in another country, I have provided links to websites that I know of, so just google search to find a preferred supplier.) -

Electric -

1/Rupes LHR15 MKIII - This is the benchmark electric polisher, buy one and you will have it for the rest of your life.
RUPES BigFoot LHR15 Mark III Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING (autogeek.net)

2/If you want to go for something a little smaller physically but still with a 5 inch backing plate, then have a look at the Rupes Duetto.
RUPES LHR 12E Duetto Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING (autogeek.net)

3/Griot's G15 - This would be a more affordable take on the Rupes LHR15.
G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher - Griot's Garage (griotsgarage.com)

Battery -
The class leader here has been the Flex range for a while now, but they are expensive and the forced rotation machines may not be ideal for a beginner. I think for your application, a battery machine will be ideal. Here are a couple options -

1/Milwaukee M18 15mm - These have one of the best battery systems available on a tool that is praised for it's torque. If I was buying right now, this is what I would be buying.
M18™ FUEL 15mm Random Orbital Polisher | Obsessed Garage

2/ShineMate EB351 - I have this and the 3 inch versions as my main polishers. These are probably more accessible in Australia the US, but they have convinced me that battery power is the way to go for those not using a polisher all day, every day.
ShineMate EB351 5" 15mm Throw Cordless Polisher Kit | CARZILLA

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Guys I think I’m gonna look into a polisher. As a frame of reference the last buffer I had was a big ol’ honkin’ Black and Decker variable speed rotary machine that would probably go completely through the metal if you wanted it to. It weighed a natural kiloton. Those days are way past gone. Now I need something pretty lightweight to handle and preferably cordless.

This will only be used to maintain my two newer Mustangs that don’t need correction and get only nice day usage. I won’t use fancy products, mostly Meguiar’s waxes and maybe their Hybrid Liquid Ceramic Wax. I’ll probably apply a base protection/shine product like their A12 Cleaner Wax twice a year and in between use their Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Spray Wax.

I‘m not looking to cheap out but no need in buying a lot more than I can use or need. I’d appreciate your thoughts.

There‘s something about me that wonders if I should just stick to hand application but I’m no spring chicken and if I could lighten the workload it would be good.
Great Question which is a preference question. For Me: I bought an Variable Speed, Orbital, Dual Action Buffer/Polisher. I use once a year for minor paint correction/Polishing on all of my cars. Keeps them Shiny, Void of Spider web marks, Halos ETC caused from Daily driving. (NOTE: On my Mustang, which is kept in Pristine, condition I only have to use a Black or RED Polishing Pad.
** You Will Need To watch videos on how to use them, Which Buffing/Polishing Pad selection to use. How Hard to apply Pressure which generates paint surface heat which works best for the Buffing/Polishing Compound you choose to use.
** Buy a High Quality, Variable Speed, DA Orbital buffer and learn how to use.

1668157109417.png

1668157131392.png

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks much for the advice guys!

Don’t laugh but this one says it’s DA; would that mean it’s orbital by definition? Otherwise does it seem like it would work?

I know it’s close to the same price as the Milwaukee but I’ve got a metric crapton of these batteries and chargers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...ery-and-18V-Charger-PBF100K/319360861#overlay

Edited to add:

If this one would work I can buy the tool with 3 pads for $129.00 delivered.

Last edited:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Thanks much for the advice guys!

Don’t laugh but this one says it’s DA; would that mean it’s orbital by definition? Otherwise does it seem like it would work?

I know it’s close to the same price as the Milwaukee but I’ve got a metric crapton of these batteries and chargers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...ery-and-18V-Charger-PBF100K/319360861#overlay

Edited to add:

If this one would work I can buy the tool with 3 pads for $129.00 delivered.
I Know. Why dont they just come out and Say DA Orbital Buffer? But, in the question and answers it does look like it is a Variable Speed, DA Orbital. The variable speed is used for different applicational uses Like, Paint Correction Compound High Speed, Wax and Polish Low Speed ETC. Good Luck

1668192407874.png

Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I’m deep into the Milwaukee platform and bought their 15mm, very pleased. If you are into Milwaukee’s M18 platform at all it’s a good choice

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m deep into the Milwaukee platform and bought their 15mm, very pleased. If you are into Milwaukee’s M18 platform at all it’s a good choice
Showing my ignorance here but if I’m not correcting so much as just applying wax and maybe light polish, do I need any more than a 5” plate and an 8mm throw?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I Love Milwaukee tools Too. I have Thousands invested in their M18 Fuel Tools. Love them. But for the Orbital Buffer I went with a corded for its well balanced and when I do my cars once a year, it takes all day so that's the main reasons for me that I didn't go M18 for that particular tool.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Showing my ignorance here but if I’m not correcting so much as just applying wax and maybe light polish, do I need any more than a 5” plate and an 8mm throw?
If you just doing a ( Mr. Miyagi’s) Wax On, Wax Off, I would still use it. The Orbital oscillating rotation helps prevent Clear Coat Burn or over heating. But that's just me.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Based on that, a DA Random Orbital Porter Cable with a 5.5" velcro base is all you need, plus a few selections of different pads from Autogeek

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on that, a DA Random Orbital Porter Cable with a 5.5" velcro base is all you need, plus a few selections of different pads from Autogeek
And Biggus, what about throw? Is 8mm enough? It looks like the 5” base plate is what I need but the throw lengths seem to vary from around 8” to 15” or more with the same 5” plate.

I can’t figure out what throw length I’d need for the type work I’d be doing. Stuff like this on Griot’s G15 long throw confuses things more:

”It should be noted that long-throw polishers are not ideally suited for application of waxes and sealants. Their large throw tends to cure the wax unevenly with the exception of our BOSS™ Finishing Sealant whose formula is designed to comply with the heat cycling of long-throw orbits. The G8 or G9 are our most suitable tools for wax application.”

Who knew polisher selection was complicated?

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
And Biggus, what about throw? Is 8mm enough? That’s what it seems the 5” plate jobs come with.
My dad has the Porter Cable DA Polisher. Up until we ceramic coated his truck a month or so ago, he used it to apply wax on his truck and my mom’s Cadillac with no issues. Has used it for a long time and has held up well. If you don’t plan on doing much paint correction it will do just fine.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
And Biggus, what about throw? Is 8mm enough? It looks like the 5” base plate is what I need but the throw lengths seem to vary from around 8” to 15” or more with the same 5” plate.

I can’t figure out what throw length I’d need for the type work I’d be doing. Stuff like this on Griot’s G15 long throw confuses things more:

”It should be noted that long-throw polishers are not ideally suited for application of waxes and sealants. Their large throw tends to cure the wax unevenly with the exception of our BOSS™ Finishing Sealant whose formula is designed to comply with the heat cycling of long-throw orbits. The G8 or G9 are our most suitable tools for wax application.”

Who knew polisher selection was complicated?
I don't know the answers to your questions - I'm not an expert; BUT, if your paint is as you say it is, then this set up (which I've used since 2007) works great and should for you. Even resorting to swirl removing polish with an orange or white pad, I have had great results - even on a 99 black vette that needed a lot of correction.

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

David's visit 04-14-14 083.JPG

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know the answers to your questions - I'm not an expert; BUT, if your paint is as you say it is, then this set up (which I've used since 2007) works great and should for you. Even resorting to swirl removing polish with an orange or white pad, I have had great results - even on a 99 black vette that needed a lot of correction.

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

David's visit 04-14-14 083.JPG
Thanks Biggus.

If I decide to go corded that looks like what I need.
Sponsored