2019EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Hello,

Not sure if this was there before but today I had an aggressive downshift and noticed afterwards that the noise heard here (between 13-15s) happens to me whenever I disengage the clutch going between 1st and 2nd gear. I am also noticing that the fake engine noise is less now since I got the Ford performance tune (Is that maybe related)?

PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'd get it to a shop if it were me. There could any number of things wrong, it's really hard to tell from the sound. Could be a synchro, shift fork, gear tooth broken, etc, etc.
Edit, sorry for the pain, I know a broken car is a nerve wracking endeavor. Fingers crossed it's not a big issue.

OP
OP

2019EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Do you have any engagement issues? Sure sounds like something is loose or broken though, I'd get it looked at.
No engagement problems at all. Literally only happens when I drop the clutch pedal while going from 1st to 2nd.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Shift forks and synchros are known problems on this gearbox. Some have had a rebuild and still have problems particularly 1st - 2nd. Yours does sound likes there’s something lose. Typical symptoms are a grind and a clunk but yours sounds as if something’s broken.

Sponsored

OP
OP

2019EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Shift forks and synchros are known problems on this gearbox. Some have had a rebuild and still have problems particularly 1st - 2nd. Yours does sound likes there’s something lose. Typical symptoms are a grind and a clunk but yours sounds as if something’s broken.
Thank you. Update: took it to a different dealer today since I took it to my original dealer 3 times last year and they said nothing was wrong lol. This new dealer said they think something's wrong and will check with ford to see if it'll be warrantied. Fingers crossed!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s all you need to know about the shifting issues on the MT82 for 2018/19 S550’s:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-regarding-busted-1-2-3-4-shift-forks.113062/

Most likely it’s the shift forks issue. If so, it looks like you have a 2019 S550, so yes, it should certainly be covered under the 3/36 IF you have not surpassed 36k miles already. It the 3/36 is expired, then the transmission would be covered under the Ford 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. Wear items such as the clutch pack (disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing) wouldn’t be covered UNLESS there is evidence it was a failure due to manufacturing defects.

OP
OP

2019EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Here’s all you need to know about the shifting issues on the MT82 for 2018/19 S550’s:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-regarding-busted-1-2-3-4-shift-forks.113062/

Most likely it’s the shift forks issue. If so, it looks like you have a 2019 S550, so yes, it should certainly be covered under the 3/36 IF you have not surpassed 36k miles already. It the 3/36 is expired, then the transmission would be covered under the Ford 5/60 Powertrain Warranty. Wear items such as the clutch pack (disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing) wouldn’t be covered UNLESS there is evidence it was a failure due to manufacturing defects.

Awesome, thank you! Yeah I'm just waiting at the moment to see what they say and then i'll go ahead! I'll have a look at the thread!

OP
OP

2019EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
@2019EcoStang just wondering if you had some resolution here...
Took it to the dealer. Replaced under warranty:

2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears and synchros, and a few of other components. All under warranty and now shifts as smooth as butter

Last edited:

Sponsored

aedfam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aed
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2017 GT
Took it to the dealer. Replaced under warranty:

2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears and synchros, and a few of other components. All under warranty and now shifts as smooth as butter
They repaired it under warranty, my questions is, did you have any mods/tunes? Or was the car a NA? Wondering if they attempted to avoid paying for the repairs by saying some mods had been done... or if you had mods and just went back to stock beforehand and they didn't think twice....

OP
OP

2019EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
They repaired it under warranty, my questions is, did you have any mods/tunes? Or was the car a NA? Wondering if they attempted to avoid paying for the repairs by saying some mods had been done... or if you had mods and just went back to stock beforehand and they didn't think twice....
I have the ecoboost so I had the ford performance tune on it. I disclosed this after they already had approval from ford to work on it, because I didnt want them putting lower grade fuel in my car/ resetting my computer. No other mods were done at the time except a clutch spring assist which I changed back to stock before I brought it in for the repair

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

CJ need to ask the question, has the problem been addressed, do you know ?

If the MT82 is a big failure at what point does it become a finical deserter? Requiring some reengineering of the weak internals ?

For myself if the MT82 would have this kind or a problem slimier.

Will seriously look at the Tremec, for the fix, providing the bell houseing and transmission are compatible.

Not trying to put you on the spot. Tapping into the knowledge gained from extended owner ship.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
CJ need to ask the question, has the problem been addressed, do you know ?

If the MT82 is a big failure at what point does it become a finical deserter? Requiring some reengineering of the weak internals ?

For myself if the MT82 would have this kind or a problem slimier.

Will seriously look at the Tremec, for the fix, providing the bell houseing and transmission are compatible.

Not trying to put you on the spot. Tapping into the knowledge gained from extended owner ship.

Turns out Tremec, is a no go, Plan B start working on the shifter. Get the slop out, just might help the forks hit the home positions...
Tremec would have been the bomb ...

OP
OP

2019EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Turns out Tremec, is a no go, Plan B start working on the shifter. Get the slop out, just might help the forks hit the home positions...
Tremec would have been the bomb ...
Heard a blowfish shifter adaptor was an excellent mod, which I was gonna get. But after the warranty work, I didn't need it
Sponsored