18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Up to date? Bad rod bearing was the cause. Took a while for them to get the necessary parts to swap short block. Should be done by the end of next week. Keep you all posted.
Sponsored

OP
OP
18P51GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I also had scoring on cylinder #3 on my first motor

My new motor (crate) sounds exactly the same as the first one and the new motor has the typewriter tick as well...
When did it get replaced short or long and what’s your plan?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
When did it get replaced short or long and what’s your plan?
It got it replaced almost 3 weeks ago now. So the whole motor was replaced only the manifold was carried over.

No plan :( at the moment , waiting for the dealer from whom I originally purchased the car from to come back on the options I have.

The car is going in again to the dealer who swapped the motor the coming week I hope. They want to try to swap the injectors but I don't think that will help....

Sponsored

OP
OP
18P51GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update. Junior mechanic was wrong about the rod. Lead shop mechanic talked to me. Said no.3 piston bore was out of tolerance. Everything else was fine. So I finally got the car back last week. Runs pretty good. However, new noise coming from the driver side. Same noise. I’ll get a new video up on YouTube tomorrow.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Update. Junior mechanic was wrong about the rod. Lead shop mechanic talked to me. Said no.3 piston bore was out of tolerance. Everything else was fine. So I finally got the car back last week. Runs pretty good. However, new noise coming from the driver side. Same noise. I’ll get a new video up on YouTube tomorrow.
It's like an 8-shot revolver when playing Russian Roulette.

OP
OP
18P51GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's like an 8-shot revolver when playing Russian Roulette.
Pretty much. I didn’t get a good video before I dropped it off this morning. Oh well. I just want it running right...

OP
OP
18P51GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Just read in the Feb. issue of Car and Driver where they completed a long term 40K Shelby GT350 test. Their car had the tick which Ford said was "piston slap" and claimed that it was not a long term durability issue! The article also said that their engine "used" an additional 21.5 quarts of 5w-50 oil in 40K miles....yikes!! This 21.5 quarts was on top of the dealer scheduled oil changes which is just nuts. What a sad article although they really loved the car.....yes but try owning it!

Sponsored
OP
OP
18P51GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just read in the Feb. issue of Car and Driver where they completed a long term 40K Shelby GT350 test. Their car had the tick which Ford said was "piston slap" and claimed that it was not a long term durability issue! The article also said that their engine "used" an additional 21.5 quarts of 5w-50 oil in 40K miles....yikes!! This 21.5 quarts was on top of the dealer scheduled oil changes which is just nuts. What a sad article although they really loved the car.....yes but try owning it!
Read the article. Had same oil consumption as well.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The article also said that their engine "used" an additional 21.5 quarts of 5w-50 oil in 40K miles....yikes!! This 21.5 quarts was on top of the dealer scheduled oil changes which is just nuts.
That's an average of only getting 1,860 miles per quart of oil. Some guys here with GT350s report not using nearly that much oil, but others do have what I'd consider abnormal oil use.

OP
OP
18P51GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's an average of only getting 1,860 miles per quart of oil. Some guys here with GT350s report not using nearly that much oil, but others do have what I'd consider abnormal oil use.
Well, I noticed my oil usage after my first change and then kept tabs. I told both the service department and Ford Motor Company that it was eating oil. Funny thing was I don’t think it really dawned on them. Either way, the company called me just a bit ago and explained everything to them and what I did and what the service department did, which was start another ticket and got me a hybrid to drive (40mpg!). I don’t mind. But I told them that I love my car. All the amenities except that damn engine. If that got right, I’d be happy. They said they’d give me a call tomorrow (couple days). So hopefully it’ll take less than 3 months this time. But, we’ll see.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
They are well aware of it. They call it "typewriter tick". But its 16,17,18 and now some 19s.
thats not the "typewriter tick"

OP
OP
18P51GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It got it replaced almost 3 weeks ago now. So the whole motor was replaced only the manifold was carried over.

No plan :( at the moment , waiting for the dealer from whom I originally purchased the car from to come back on the options I have.

The car is going in again to the dealer who swapped the motor the coming week I hope. They want to try to swap the injectors but I don't think that will help....[
thats not the "typewriter tick"
its not?
Sponsored