Entreaken

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 2017 Focus RS
Then your isn t the "Normal" rattle, probably piston slap then I d assume.
I agree. The dealer service tech also stated it was piston slap. So their statement that it was "normal" doesn't seem to be correct.
Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I agree. The dealer service tech also stated it was piston slap. So their statement that it was "normal" doesn't seem to be correct.
well, another rabbit hole that the internet is filled with. Like stated above, ask the GM guys.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Pistón slap in any application is not normal. Again Ford or the dealership is lying the groundwork to try and get out of any warranty work that require a new engine. I would get a second write from an independent mechanic or 2. That way you have your bases covered in case a catastrophic failure occurs.
Normal, maybe not but not detrimental neither

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
What you're describing sounds exactly like the "2K rattle", all Coyotes have it. I always thought it may be timing chain related, but there are a lot of theories. Just learn to ignore the sound and enjoy driving it! Also, look up the "typewriter tick", since you're bound to notice that one eventually, it's also normal!
100% agree with you Connor! BUT I must be "that guy" and state the obvious and say that while it is perfectly normal, poor build quality should not be an excuse Ford! 🤣 I hated that typewriter tick... tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
At this point and involvement...you should upload a video or sound clip on this thread for this issue and for future reference

Sponsored

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Had my last GT for 4500 miles and never heard a peep from that motor...I was a little harsh on break in though (only at operating temp). I've talked to a couple of other techs and its not uncommon for the 5.0's to break pistons and skirts apparently. If it's super loud I'd say look into getting an oil analysis (and maybe cut the filter open), and like said go see another dealer or call Ford corporate.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

Sound anything like this? This is my 16 and it has had the 2k rattle since 500 miles. Its NOT direct injection. Goes away warm. Its been supercharged for 11k miles, and the first 22k NA miles I beet the crap out of it. Ive done compression checks, boroscoped cylinders, and all oil analysis have come back ok. Ive given up trying to solve it.

OP
OP
Entreaken

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Had my last GT for 4500 miles and never heard a peep from that motor...I was a little harsh on break in though (only at operating temp). I've talked to a couple of other techs and its not uncommon for the 5.0's to break pistons and skirts apparently. If it's super loud I'd say look into getting an oil analysis (and maybe cut the filter open), and like said go see another dealer or call Ford corporate.
I'm doing exactly this very thing this weekend. I plan to change the oil and filter and will send a sample to Blackstone. I also spoke with an independent mechanic and he said that the oil analysis may be the first best thing to do right now and see if there is excessive wear. I'm pulling the information together to push back on Ford.

An earlier comment asked about the technician that Ford put on the job to diagnose the issue, he was described as their "go to" guy for performance vehicles.

OP
OP
Entreaken

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)

Sound anything like this? This is my 16 and it has had the 2k rattle since 500 miles. Its NOT direct injection. Goes away warm. Its been supercharged for 11k miles, and the first 22k NA miles I beet the crap out of it. Ive done compression checks, boroscoped cylinders, and all oil analysis have come back ok. Ive given up trying to solve it.
That does sound similar to what I'm hearing (a little difficult to hear in videos, which never quite capture the sound correctly). Yeah, I'll go through the steps to satisfy that it isn't an issue with the oil analysis and borescope. Again, it is the first V8 performance engine that I have ever owned (coming from a Performance Pack MK7 GTI with a tune and I have a Focus RS as well).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Entreaken

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Normal, maybe not but not detrimental neither
I guess that is the question, is it good or bad? Different sources or articles say, "not bad." Others say, "get it fixed" if it's a newer car.

So the plan is to gather objective evidence and if it shows no issues, fine. If it does show an issue it is harder to dispute and I can move the process forward rather than saying to them that I disagree.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm doing exactly this very thing this weekend. I plan to change the oil and filter and will send a sample to Blackstone. I also spoke with an independent mechanic and he said that the oil analysis may be the first best thing to do right now and see if there is excessive wear. I'm pulling the information together to push back on Ford.

An earlier comment asked about the technician that Ford put on the job to diagnose the issue, he was described as their "go to" guy for performance vehicles.
I am waiting for my oil analysis from Blackstone. The car makes noise that sounds concerning. I did an oil change a month ago. Sent off my sample, results should be ready any day now. I didn't see anything in the old oil. It looked very clean and my magnetic oil drain only had a thin layer of metallic paste stuck to it, less than my last oil change. I don't have a way to cut open the oil filter but I have kept it for when I find my tin snips.

Here's a video of how mine sounded last year at idle.

Before Ceratec:

After 1 bottle of Ceratec:

After a long drive:

OP
OP
Entreaken

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
I am waiting for my oil analysis from Blackstone. The car makes noise that sounds concerning. I did an oil change a month ago. Sent off my sample, results should be ready any day now. I didn't see anything in the old oil. It looked very clean and my magnetic oil drain only had a thin layer of metallic paste stuck to it, less than my last oil change. I don't have a way to cut open the oil filter but I have kept it for when I find my tin snips.
I just drained the oil this afternoon, my internet crapped out (I work from home) so it was back to the stone ages and I needed something to do. Overall it looked good (i.e. I couldn't see anything obvious). I put a bottle of ceratec in around 450 miles, so it looked different that I was used to but looked clean. I captured a sample and will send off to Blackstone tomorrow.

My internet came back up after a couple hours so I still have to pull off the filter and I plan to check the filter for debris.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Mine sounds exactly like this...started immediately after the first oil change. ..which I did at 1k miles.

Here's a video of how mine sounded last year at idle.
Sponsored