Permanent Crank Relearn Code: p0315

David16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I recently got tuned and got a p0315 engine code . I’m using the RTD as my tuning device . I did the crank relearn through HPTuners VCM Scanner . However, the code will not go away . I’ve done the crank relearn several times and they all say “successful” . In the DTC , the code is marked as “Permanent”. Have you all had any issues with this ? Or how did you resolve this?
TIA
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you tried pulling the crank sensor out to see if the sensor head is damaged? Have you checked the wiring harness and connector to it? Some have found that the pins in the connector were loose or wires got chafed.

I’ve seen on here where folks who had trouble with the crank relearn have said the engine had to be yo to at least 180* and to rev the throttle to 4k while doing the relearn.

OP
OP

David16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I really doubt there’s anything mechanically wrong . Everything was fine until I got tuned . I never got the code until I tuned it . I did the crank relearn while my car being at the appropriate temps

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Crank relearn won't complete if you have any stored or pending codes, excluding the P0315 itself.

OP
OP

David16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Crank relearn won't complete if you have any stored or pending codes, excluding the P0315 itself.
I cleared the codes first . Then I performed the crank relearn . I am catless, so I get the codes for that . I’m just trying to get rid of that crank relearn code

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I cleared the codes first . Then I performed the crank relearn . I am catless, so I get the codes for that . I’m just trying to get rid of that crank relearn code
Unfortunately you're probably stuck in purgatory if you're catless, since every time you clear them they'll probably just go back to pending while you try to do the relearn.

Maybe someone on here knows a way around this.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
A new tune file needs "misfire monitor" turned on in the tune to do a crank relearn, at least from my experience. Then you switch back to the old tune or you will get a flashing check engine light at times when revving it out, idk why it is, but this was my experience. I was told this by a shop and a tuner that replaced my shortblock, and had my tuner send the file and and it fixed the problem. Then I went back to the old tune and no flashing check engine lights at high rpm and no crank code.

Miked81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt
I recently got tuned and got a p0315 engine code . I’m using the RTD as my tuning device . I did the crank relearn through HPTuners VCM Scanner . However, the code will not go away . I’ve done the crank relearn several times and they all say “successful” . In the DTC , the code is marked as “Permanent”. Have you all had any issues with this ? Or how did you resolve this?
TIA
MMR has a crank position sensor that's supposed to help with that.

IMG_20240428_105144.jpg
Sponsored