Sponsored

Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
I've had a pony car of some sort since I was 15. We took my Cougar out nearly every weekend to cruise main when I was in high school. I had exactly ONE female say "nice car, can I have a ride". She happened to have a '69 Cougar, so I'm still not sure if that counts. Lots of guys my dad's age would (and still do) talk to me about the car. I've always liked Mustangs, so it's definitely not a middle aged thing (can't believe I'm actually there, but 49 would fit the description). My Mustangs have gotten nicer and more expensive through the years, but that's a result of both Mustangs getting more expensive and I've got more income. I've never bought a Mustang to impress anyone. I was, however, able to buy the last one because my wife likes it, too.

I've tried to drive a Miata, and it was a no-go. My knee would not fit between the steering wheel and door. Besides that, The header on the windshield made it so I couldn't look straight ahead comfortably. I'm 6'3"/220 with 36" inseam.
Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a pony car of some sort since I was 15. We took my Cougar out nearly every weekend to cruise main when I was in high school. I had exactly ONE female say "nice car, can I have a ride". She happened to have a '69 Cougar, so I'm still not sure if that counts. Lots of guys my dad's age would (and still do) talk to me about the car. I've always liked Mustangs, so it's definitely not a middle aged thing (can't believe I'm actually there, but 49 would fit the description). My Mustangs have gotten nicer and more expensive through the years, but that's a result of both Mustangs getting more expensive and I've got more income. I've never bought a Mustang to impress anyone. I was, however, able to buy the last one because my wife likes it, too.

I've tried to drive a Miata, and it was a no-go. My knee would not fit between the steering wheel and door. Besides that, The header on the windshield made it so I couldn't look straight ahead comfortably. I'm 6'3"/220 with 36" inseam.
i hear ya! 68 Cougars were nice. I had a 71. I'm 6'4" 210 and fit nicely in the S550. I had same visibility issue with the sn95 new edge mustang in 04. Passed on buying one. Waited until 06 to buy my S197.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"Like we're all lecherous mid-life crisis victims cruising bars for women 1/2 our age, trying to re-live our youth."
You make that sound like it's bad thing. :crackup: Seriously tho, over the decades, I have owned British, German & Japanese sports cars in addition to five (5) Mustangs (+ other miscellaneous sedans, trucks & SUVs). And all of them have been modified in some way, but I have NEVER upgraded any of my vehicles w/the thought of what they look like to someone else. Perhaps my current Mustang best illustrates my personal tastes ... no chrome, no stripes, no painted brake calipers & just slightly lowered (Steeda spring set 555-8243). For me, it's a perfect Grand Touring (GT) automobile (26 states + Canada).

I have always appreciated Shelby's take on the '65 GT350 (except w/out the side stripes). The only 'tell' on the Shelby from the original Mustang was the hood & a very discreet GT350 emblem on the rear panel. Everything else was 'under wraps'. Basically an automotive version of the 'Q' ship.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
Blacked out windows seem to help me.

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic Mustang GT Premium
So what do men think if itā€™s a middle aged woman driving a Mustang? Just for general conversation? I get lots of looks everywhere, especially upon startup. And I know some must be thinking, ā€œI bet thatā€™s her husbands carā€.
I actually had an elderly gentleman at the gas station ask me if it was too much car for me. I shook my head and said ā€œNo, she does 130 very niceā€.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So what do men think if itā€™s a middle aged woman driving a Mustang? Just for general conversation? I get lots of looks everywhere, especially upon startup. And I know some must be thinking, ā€œI bet thatā€™s her husbands carā€.
I actually had an elderly gentleman at the gas station ask me if it was too much car for me. I shook my head and said ā€œNo, she does 130 very niceā€.
you need a convertible, big-sunglasses, and a flashy scarf.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would say I'm definitely way past middle aged. Since life expectancy is less than 80 and I'm 54. Middle aged is more like 35-45. At this point I'm just old.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So what do men think if itā€™s a middle aged woman driving a Mustang?
My wife of 47 years dives our Mustang as much as I do other than any road trips she sits out. I think the same about her driving the GT as I did about her riding her GS-1100E or V-Max or the bikes between. V-Max excellent bike BTW for a smaller person due to low center of gravity from the gas tank being under the seat.

1639791250927.png

And I know some must be thinking, ā€œI bet thatā€™s her husbands carā€.
They would be wrong regarding my wife. Neither of us has owned a car or anything else with a title for over 30 years. That's what trusts are for. :wink:

I actually had an elderly gentleman at the gas station ask me if it was too much car for me.
Is he still in Intensive Care?

Last edited:

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150

I sold my wifeā€™s 2015 EB to buy her a new 2021 GTā€¦She letā€™s me drive it once in awhile if Iā€™m a good boy šŸ˜Ž

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I am 66 so not middle age. I got my Mustang for 2 reasons.
I like the looks and driving it
My dogs rides with me had trouble getting into my truck

I do not care how people look at it. I am slowly going to fix it to show it. I entered 1 show stock and was bitten by the bug

Sponsored

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
When i see a Mustang, Camaro or Challenger i think there "car guys". I think mid life crises when i see guys driving vette's and that they probably have never gone over the speed limit.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My wife of 47 years dives our Mustang as much as I do other than any road trips she sits out. I think the same about her driving the GT as I did about her riding her GS-1100E or V-Max or the bikes between. V-Max excellent bike BTW for a smaller person due to low center of gravity from the gas tank being under the seat.

1639791250927.png

They would be wrong regarding my wife. Neither of us has owned a car or anything else with a title for over 30 years. That's what trusts are for. :wink:

Is he still in Intensive Care?
When the V-Max first came out, they were insanely fast compared to other bikes, especially when the secondary intake kicked in. (I think they tamed that down a bit later). Anyway, there were a lot of V-Max bikes getting wrecked by young riders that didn't know how to handle them. As a result, I found a two year old Venture with a replacement engine from a wrecked V-Max. There were basically the same engine, but the Venture motor was detuned. That base model Venture with the V-Max engine was the best touring bike I ever owned. It was a blast to ride.

Due to severe problems with vertigo, I was forced quit riding bikes about 20 years ago. I can't even ride a 2 wheel bike, I can't turn. So, that resulted in me buying convertibles. My Mustang GT was the last of them, because I wanted something with a decent back seat.

You should see the looks I get... a short, fat, bald guy pushing 80 years old, driving a GT with stripes.

Last edited:

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I am 66 so not middle age. I got my Mustang for 2 reasons.
I like the looks and driving it
My dogs rides with me had trouble getting into my truck

I do not care how people look at it. I am slowly going to fix it to show it. I entered 1 show stock and was bitten by the bug
Damn. Iā€™m 64 and thought I was just hitting middle age šŸ˜

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
When the V-Max first came out, they were insanely fast compared to other bikes, especially when the secondary intake kicked in. (I think they tamed that down a bit later). Anyway, there were a lot of V-Max bikes getting wrecked by young riders that didn't know how to handle them. As a result, I found a two year old Venture with a replacement engine from a wrecked V-Max. There were basically the same engine, but the Venture motor was detuned. That base model Venture with the V-Max engine was the best touring bike I ever owned. It was a blast to ride.

Due to severe problems with vertigo, I was forced quit riding bikes about 20 years ago. I can't even ride a 2 wheel bike, I can't turn. So, that resulted in me buying convertibles. My Mustang GT was the last of them, because I wanted something with a decent back seat.

You should see the looks I get... a short, fat, bald guy pushing 80 years old, driving a GT with stripes.
I am glad you like it. Screw what anyone thinks

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You need to find a place where women hang out :)

Every single person that has come up to me and commented on my S550s falls under one of these two categories:

1. Middle-Aged Man
  2. Teenage/Early 20s Male
Sponsored