Perceptions of Middle-age Men in Mustangs

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Over the years, my wife has generally hated my Mustangs because they are loud and rough. This one rides a little better, and with the variable volume exhaust (or "wife switch," as I told her it's called) it's not loud, and she enjoys riding in it. Win-win.
Same. My wife hated the first four Mustangs because they were loud. She won't admit it but she doesn't hate the Mach, and I'm sure it's because of the active exhaust and the heated seats. Last time we rode in it together she actually told me to punch it! First time ever. Maybe she finally realizes she can have her way with 99% of my life, but not when it comes to Mustangs.
Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
he didn't use those lovely 6 fifty-cals to adjust the attitude of his adversary?
Funny you mention those. He had bought 6 dummy guns to mount in the wings, and another friend of mine was looking for the ammo chutes to complete the look, but nothing was ever installed.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The old saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover". Applies very well here.

Some folks especially women like to box a guy in by description. Makes them feel better about themselves. It's usually rooted in personal envy and insecurity.

First rule of life? Don't give a damn about what others think about you. Don't even feed into them by answering.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Ordered my first Mustang GT back in 1982. I have had 10 total. The S550s are the best by far. The 10 speed was my converter transmission. Just better in performance than a manual and fun to drive!

Johnny_V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible PP2... 2007 Harley Da
I was 18 when I bought my first mustang 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 .and have had many many many fox bodies (12) ...I just turned 51 and I'm still rolling a 2018 mustang GT convertible...mustangs best bang for the buck ...they always been fast on the streets with minor mods ....if you having a mid life crisis..you be rolling a vette or a SRT lol

Sponsored

JnBama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 61 and bought my first Mustang a 2014 v6 Pony Pkg . Joined a local club were a few of the members my age and older have GT's and Cobras. The V6 though a nice car just didn't get it ,sold it and got a 2017 GT . I'm going to have fun the last few years of life don't care what some dingbat girl says . Just make sure nobody hears me grunt sometimes getting out of the car.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
In my mid 70's & thinking of updating my 2013 GT vert to a 2022 GT vert. Maybe it's my age but I could care less what others think. I drive what I want because I can!
Can identify with that! I am in my '70s and have decided after a lifetime of nice but more pedestrian cars, I must have one last hurrah before I throw in the towel. The new Vette was too impractical and too hard to get into, or out of, so I recently ordered a '22 GT Premium vert. Expect it to arrive about the end of March when the weather gets good enough to get it out on the road.

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Here in this thread, it's an interesting topic of conversation. Something to do when bored and talking cars.

But I just can't find the interest or desire to explain being interested in cars to women that have already made up their minds.
I couldn't agree more. Midlife is one stage, I'm 75 and after 50 years of marriage and countless fun rides and automotive related activities my wife still doesn't get it. She drives a 16 year old 4Runner that looks like it was previously owned by the Taliban. She has never driven either of my GTs, Corvettes, Triumphs, M3 and a few others. Guys with BMWs and Audis seem more inclined to ask questions and "wonder". They typically ask better questions as well.

njlime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT/CS Vert-'18 Volvo XC60-16" MKC
Can identify with that! I am in my '70s and have decided after a lifetime of nice but more pedestrian cars, I must have one last hurrah before I throw in the towel. The new Vette was too impractical and too hard to get into, or out of, so I recently ordered a '22 GT Premium vert. Expect it to arrive about the end of March when the weather gets good enough to get it out on the road.
Ogopogo.. I'm with you. I gave up a Porsche 911 (16) years ago because getting in & out was a problem & so was driving a stick. I've since had both hips replaced, but have stayed with Mustang ever since.

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt convertible
Driving my 21 convertible GT today and a old guy in a beat up Toyota tundra at a red light opens his window and says to me " a bit old to driving a mustang...don't you think? Thats a young kids car." Lot's of thoughts were going through my head...but down here in Florida...a guy could easily be carrying..so I decided to answer by saying " not sure if they can afford it " He gave a half laugh and by that time the light changed. Ok...I am 61...and really like the mustang...so much so I put in a Roush supercharger and waiting for my Cervini ram air hood to arrive. So I say f-them, why does it matter, life is made for living to the fullest.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Driving my 21 convertible GT today and a old guy in a beat up Toyota tundra at a red light opens his window and says to me " a bit old to driving a mustang...don't you think? Thats a young kids car." Lot's of thoughts were going through my head...but down here in Florida...a guy could easily be carrying..so I decided to answer by saying " not sure if they can afford it " He gave a half laugh and by that time the light changed. Ok...I am 61...and really like the mustang...so much so I put in a Roush supercharger and waiting for my Cervini ram air hood to arrive. So I say f-them, why does it matter, life is made for living to the fullest.
Life is terribly short.

60 is the new 30. Enjoy every moment of your life anyway,anyhow you can.

You should have turned off that traction control and filled his cab with smoke!:fistbump:

Last edited:

Brokestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Life is terribly short.

60 is the new 30. Enjoy every moment of your life anyway,anyhow you can.

You should have turned off that traction control and filled his cab with smoke!:fistbump:
I would have revved the engine like maverick on his motorcycle in top gun & made like I couldn't hear him then left him sitting at the light!🤣

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I think you pigeon-hole women by saying women of any age that are worth giving the time of day to, really care what you drive. The good ones do, though, and more importantly, care what they drive... IMHO.
The best/worst type of women are those that like fast/loud cars. Great because they love your fast loud cars. Bad because the budget for said fast car and parts now has to fund yours and hers(married). But I'd not trade it for anything. This years Christmas vehicle /toy budget went to a Roush/Yates Engine for her questionable legal street car.
Ya, I won the(marriage ) lottery there.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I’ve had many muscle and sports cars over the years and, after being married for 51 years the S550 is the first one my wife has admitted she enjoys driving in, even likes the competition orange!
My wife is into racing (circle track,road course type) and always wanted a 66-69 fastback mustang. But never owned an older car that didn't have things we take for granted now. You know like power windows,locks, tilt, seats that are not just something to sit on with no support, And over the decades forgot just how bad a 60's car handled/drove,stopped.
I knew after her driving some of my late 60's early 70's cars that she liked the "idea" of having a 65-69 mustang because of the look, but if we ever got one, she never drive it. And buying a clean one for 30k-45k then dumping an boat load of cash into making it drive,handle,stop like vehicles she is used to just wasn't worth it.
So, I clicked the "easy button" (tm) and got the 2020 mustang, sure it is my toy, but she will drive it, and enjoy it also. Something she never do with the '70 All alum big block 4 speed Vette, or the other 40's to 70's vehicles. Too hard to start, harsh ride, blah, blah, blah. We all forget sometimes just how far vehicles have come. The '70 is a very fun drive, but it is hard on an aging back.
Sponsored