Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford uses the term "operating characteristic" and say "no repairs should be attempted". That may imply that it's considered "normal". If it wasn't considered "normal" then there would be a reason to attempt repairs.

1670120630412.png
Then we agree that some infer its normal.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Posting there are inherent flaws in the design, tolerances, and assembly of this engine. Is being somewhat disingenuous.

In realville where I live, every machine has some, it is not a perfect world. That said with CNC, newer casting procedures, and the updated build processes.

There is a lot to be said about how good the assembly line engines really are. Hell, the hand-built flat plane does much worse pound-for-pound when compared to the coyote.

Two schools of thought are the theory of a product and the reality of the same. Theory and reality, the two don’t always sync, and never completely will.

It ain’t burger king out here, and you can’t have it your way, some just need to deal with what is.

What is a loud tick, pretty damn subjective at best, my car cold, has higher levels of sound, and the gearbox is not as smooth. Once the car gets up to operating temp………….. everything changes. that is normal.

Enjoy the thrill of owning and driving a factory car. @ 600+ hp powered with a DOHC, 32-value, engine up front. That once upon a time was only seen/run in formula F1 cars.

Really is cool as hell, and why someone would trade that for a power plant that’s DNA is a toaster is beyond me.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Just traded mine in. After 20k miles the 2k rpm tick evolved into a rattle present at all rpms. Since there's a tsb out for 2k rattle all dealerships in the area used it as ammo to call all rod knock like noises "normal operation". This was the first ford I've bought new and it is the last.

By far the worst aspect of the experience isn't that there was an issue, but that Ford is actively obscuring addressing it or stating what it is. The TSB amounts to an order from corporate to do nothing. That's just not practically trustworthy.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just traded mine in. After 20k miles the 2k rpm tick evolved into a rattle present at all rpms. Since there's a tsb out for 2k rattle all dealerships in the area used it as ammo to call all rod knock like noises "normal operation". This was the first ford I've bought new and it is the last.
Unfortunate, but I understand. The only way to get the dealers to do anything at this point is to put a rod through the block.

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Are you guys still worried about this?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Unfortunate, but I understand. The only way to get the dealers to do anything at this point is to put a rod through the block.
Of course after 100k miles and it is still ticking......

For all the ticks and knocks how many actually fail? Why would Ford fix an engine that hasn't broken?

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
It's obvious that the tick is not detrimental to the engine. This has been going on for years and not one has had a catastrophic failure due to the tick that I know of.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just had the oil changed again...tick came back. Added 100ml of Ceratec (1/3 bottle) and its gone again. Car now at 24K miles.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I'm on my 2nd short block and 3rd oil change on the new engine at 20k miles and the tick is there. It's been there on the 1st engine that got replaced and on the new engine as well.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on my 2nd short block and 3rd oil change on the new engine at 20k miles and the tick is there. It's been there on the 1st engine that got replaced and on the new engine as well.
Did your first one blow up or just have the tick?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Did your first one blow up or just have the tick?
1st one had the tick which didn't concern me that much, but it was consuming oil beyond a normal amount. I had the oil consumption tested and the cylinders were found to be scored and filled with burned oil residue. Once the findings were sent to Ford the short block was approved right away and I had the car back with the new engine after a week. I started the 2nd engine with 5w30 Full Synthetic instead of whatever break in oil the dealership would have put and it also has the tick but runs stronger.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Of course after 100k miles and it is still ticking......

For all the ticks and knocks how many actually fail? Why would Ford fix an engine that hasn't broken?
I was more talking about his issue which seemed different to me than the tick and 2k rattle were all used to. But because of ford's stance on those issues, getting an actual problem addressed before it goes boom is unnecessarily difficult.
Sponsored