Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Mikeo97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MB
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible
I have a 2021 tick-rattle stang with 5K miles. Tick begin after first oil change (3.5K miles) Motorcraft 5W 30. I added a whole bottle of Ceratek after an oil change and I still have intermittent ticking. Usually at start up and quiets down after it warms up.

I also have rattles coming from under the center console arm rest. See video. It appears to be the Driveshaft or Carrier bearing. I removed every sticker I came across and I tightened my e-brake, rattle still there.
Taking it to the Circus (Ford dealership) on Wednesday.

Sponsored

Last edited:

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
My 2021 GT developed the typewriter/ BBQ tick after the first oil change at 6435 miles (used Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend). Waited about 2500 miles and it wasn’t going away.

So, I added 150ml Cera Tec (1/2 bottle) yesterday and drove it for a few miles. Last evening and this morning, the tick is gone at startup and while idling once warmed up.
Did a change yesterday, stuck with 5W-20 and a 1 bottle of ceratec (treats 5 Qts.). Tick is gone again. I don't think I'll ever up it to 5W-30 as long as ceratec keeps working. Glad it worked for you!!

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I have a 2021 tick-rattle stang with 5K miles. Tick begin after first oil change (3.5K miles) Motorcraft 5W 30. I added a whole bottle of Ceratek after an oil change and I still have intermittent ticking. Usually at start up and quiets down after it warms up.

I also have rattles coming from under the center console arm rest. See video. It appears to be the Driveshaft or Carrier bearing. I removed every sticker I came across and I tightened my e-brake, rattle still there.
Taking it to the Circus (Ford dealership) on Wednesday.

I have the exact sound coming from the transmission area. It just started after 10,000 miles, it seems to be only or worse in 4th at lower speeds and goes away when warmed up. I will wait to take it in until it’s really loud so Ford can’t say that’s normal.

grudd61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt premium manual
Interesting. If nothing else, it’s a statement vs silence.

However, it states a ticking noise “after an engine oil change”. Mine started at 1,300 miles, way before an oil change.

If they would only explain why it’s normal after an oil change, or why it’s normal regardless.

grudd61

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt premium manual
My 12 gt gen1 starts ticking about 4 to 5 months AFTER oil change as if filter is becoming restricted. So I change filter every 3 mo without oil change and it remains quiet
Interesting. If nothing else, it’s a statement vs silence.

However, it states a ticking noise “after an engine oil change”. Mine started at 1,300 miles, way before an oil change.

If they would only explain why it’s normal after an oil change, or why it’s normal regardless.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hey guys, I only use 1/3 of the bottle of Ceratec to get rid of my tick. You may not need the whole bottle.

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
Hey guys, I only use 1/3 of the bottle of Ceratec to get rid of my tick. You may not need the whole bottle.
Yep, this time I used just one bottle. Tick gone. Its good stuff. Again, do not waste your money on M0S2

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yep, this time I used just one bottle. Tick gone. Its good stuff. Again, do not waste your money on M0S2
And maybe not even need Ceretec since some cured the tick by switching to PUP.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hate to post what could be interpreted as anecdotal. But forced to cause I was not there.

My sister-in-law's husband works on high-dollar cars. From Mclaren and everything between all the way down to BMW.

They provide the customer & employees (and me) with a track day as a benny once a year.

Waiting my turn, talking to him about owners and the fact that most don't understand what they bought into.

Asked what the owners whine about. Starts, down a list of common things shortly into it ............up come to the words typewriter tick.

LMAO I told him about the Mustang gripe sheet, same same. Long story short agree/disagree engines make sounds. A DOHC motor 4 valves per cylinder and chain-driven cams will sound off.

Is also amplified by an aluminum block, whereas the cast iron block absorbs a good bit of the noise.

Just the way it is, learn and know the sounds of the car. After that is known then listen for instances that could be a potential problem.

my $.02

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
LMAO I told him about the Mustang gripe sheet, same same. Long story short agree/disagree engines make sounds. A DOHC motor 4 valves per cylinder and chain-driven cams will sound off.

Is also amplified by an aluminum block, whereas the cast iron block absorbs a good bit of the noise.
Thing is, not all Coyotes exhibit the BBQ tick ... so it's more about manufacturing tolerances and assembly quality than it is about the engine design.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thing is, not all Coyotes exhibit the BBQ tick ... so it's more about manufacturing tolerances and assembly quality than it is about the engine design.
Yep. Even Ford didn't say it was normal but just that it's not harmful.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Yep. Even Ford didn't say it was normal but just that it's not harmful.
Ford said, as the name of this thread implies, is that it's a normal characteristic.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford said, as the name of this thread implies, is that it's a normal characteristic.
Yes, the thread implies. No, Ford didn't actually say that. But not a problem for people who don't make a distinction between normal and harmless.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ford uses the term "operating characteristic" and say "no repairs should be attempted". That may imply that it's considered "normal". If it wasn't considered "normal" then there would be a reason to attempt repairs.

1670120630412.png
Sponsored