Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
First off, I'm not defending Ford or Ford fanboys. Heck I'm a fanboy myself hence the reason I'm on Mustang forums. However, I can stay neutral when talking about real, known issues with a brand or product. I just want to understand how big or small of an issue this really is.

I will use 2018 model year as an example since 2019s are still too new. BTW, I own a new 2019 with the tick.

*2018 Mustang production was around 76k. I am not quite sure how many of those are GTs, but let's assume at least 45% or so about = 34,000. That's a lot of Mustangs and I do think that the GT does outsell the 4cyl but I am trying to be conservative.

*So out of 34,000 GTs, how many have the tick, 2k rattle or both? So let's say 75% of them have the tick or rattle, that's 25,500 cars that have noted noise issues. That's a lot of damn cars!

*Out of 25,500 cars, how many actually had a replacement engine because the car blew up, metal in the oil or had some sort of catastrophic failure? I mean more than just getting it replaced because they didn't like the tick while sitting in the garage or the 2k rattle while lightly feathering the throttle to cause the noise. I also understand; you buy a 45k car, you don't want noises, but in most circumstances, not all, but most of the time with normal driving the majority of Mustang owners can't hear any of these noises or care.

If you really look at it, you definitely see the same few people that are much more vocal than others about this whole thing. The same people I see in every single tick/rattle/lemon law thread; with many of them having videos on Youtube under the same screen name they use here. They definitely get people riled up and worried by dominating and inundating the social media platforms. The worst thing is, most of these people were taken care of. They got a new engine, got their money back or whatever yet they still feel the need to just hammer the forums every day. I know these names on Youtube and G6 because I have done my own tick/rattle research as I want to be prepared just in case this is more than just an annoyance. However, I have almost five years of warranty left and I'm not gonna let it bother me as I'm old and def anyways. :crackup:

Is there a genuine problem with some people's cars? Sure there is, as with almost every new car there are definitely some lemons out there. I have owned 50 plus vehicles in my life and a few of them were complete pieces of shit. Although most of my cars were Fords, I have never had a major problem with one. Bought new 2014 Subaru WRX that burned a qt of oil every 300 - 500miles and six check engine lights on with in weeks, loss of steering twice. Late 2000s Dodge Durango. Dodge knew of the issue and replaced it with a new vehicle that never had one problem. I had a new BMW X5 when they came out in the early 2000s and it burned to the ground on the 405 Freeway in LA. It drove great up until that point. hahaha! Don't get me started on Land Rovers. I had a 2016 Range Rover Sport that was one of the worst cars I have ever owned. The Mustang tick and rattle issues are heaven compared to all the crap we had wrong with that thing. Pick any car and go on forums about it; you won't buy that car either.

To reiterate; cars are expensive. I understand you want what you paid for but some of these lemoned vehicles and engine replacements seem a little premature.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
First off, I'm not defending Ford or Ford fanboys. Heck I'm a fanboy myself hence the reason I'm on Mustang forums. However, I can stay neutral when talking about real, known issues with a brand or product. I just want to understand how big or small of an issue this really is.

I will use 2018 model year as an example since 2019s are still too new. BTW, I own a new 2019 with the tick.

*2018 Mustang production was around 76k. I am not quite sure how many of those are GTs, but let's assume at least 45% or so about = 34,000. That's a lot of Mustangs and I do think that the GT does outsell the 4cyl but I am trying to be conservative.

*So out of 34,000 GTs, how many have the tick, 2k rattle or both? So let's say 75% of them have the tick or rattle, that's 25,500 cars that have noted noise issues. That's a lot of damn cars!

*Out of 25,500 cars, how many actually had a replacement engine because the car blew up, metal in the oil or had some sort of catastrophic failure? I mean more than just getting it replaced because they didn't like the tick while sitting in the garage or the 2k rattle while lightly feathering the throttle to cause the noise. I also understand; you buy a 45k car, you don't want noises, but in most circumstances, not all, but most of the time with normal driving the majority of Mustang owners can't hear any of these noises or care.

If you really look at it, you definitely see the same few people that are much more vocal than others about this whole thing. The same people I see in every single tick/rattle/lemon law thread; with many of them having videos on Youtube under the same screen name they use here. They definitely get people riled up and worried by dominating and inundating the social media platforms. The worst thing is, most of these people were taken care of. They got a new engine, got their money back or whatever yet they still feel the need to just hammer the forums every day. I know these names on Youtube and G6 because I have done my own tick/rattle research as I want to be prepared just in case this is more than just an annoyance. However, I have almost five years of warranty left and I'm not gonna let it bother me as I'm old and def anyways. :crackup:

Is there a genuine problem with some people's cars? Sure there is, as with almost every new car there are definitely some lemons out there. I have owned 50 plus vehicles in my life and two of them were complete pieces of shit. Neither were Fords. One vehicle was a new 2014 Subaru WRX that burned a qt of oil every 300 - 500miles and six check engine lights on with in weeks, loss of steering twice. The other was a late 2000s Dodge Durango. Dodge knew of the issue and replaced it with a new vehicle that never had one problem. I had a new BMW X5 when they came out in the early 2000s and it burned to the ground on the 405 Freeway in LA. It drove great up until that point. hahaha! Pick any car and go on forums about it; you won't buy that car either.

To reiterate; cars are expensive. I understand you want what you paid for but some of these lemoned vehicles and engine replacements seem a little premature.

Thoughts?
I completely agree and have said just the same on the GT350 forum. It unfortunately is the nature of forums and social media. Most of the voices are of those affected which happen to be a minority (small) and then there is the silent majority. My aim is not to convince those that minds have been made up. My only aim is to keep neutrality with facts/data and keep future buyers from running off because of a few bad apples.

By the way I am no fanboy. I have owned Audi's, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda, Toyota's/lexus, Chevrolet, Alfa, volkswagon's, dodge etc. You all get the point. I base my thoughts off of research, personal experience and work experience in the aerospace and manufacturing industry

OhNoA5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Orange Fury GT

Is there a genuine problem with some people's cars? Sure there is, as with almost every new car there are definitely some lemons out there. I have owned 50 plus vehicles in my life and two of them were complete pieces of shit. Neither were Fords. One vehicle was a new 2014 Subaru WRX that burned a qt of oil every 300 - 500miles and six check engine lights on with in weeks, loss of steering twice. The other was a late 2000s Dodge Durango. Dodge knew of the issue and replaced it with a new vehicle that never had one problem. I had a new BMW X5 when they came out in the early 2000s and it burned to the ground on the 405 Freeway in LA. It drove great up until that point. hahaha! Pick any car and go on forums about it; you won't buy that car either.

Thoughts?
We really don't know how big of a problem it is, but you are correct about social media. Some of those guys want clicks so they hop on the "whats hot right now" train and just vomit out crap they heard from a friends brothers sister in law that had this experience. As far as the people that have had personal bad experiences, those pissed off people will tell everyone about it and the people that are happy will not tell anyone most of the time. That's just the nature of customer service. From experience with working with several manufactures, they all break.

1380KPOI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Poi Boy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
It would cost them a fortune to replace all of these engines with the typewriter tick. Therefore it’s “normal”

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
We really don't know how big of a problem it is, but you are correct about social media. Some of those guys want clicks so they hop on the "whats hot right now" train and just vomit out crap they heard from a friends brothers sister in law that had this experience. As far as the people that have had personal bad experiences, those pissed off people will tell everyone about it and the people that are happy will not tell anyone most of the time. That's just the nature of customer service. From experience with working with several manufactures, they all break.
Oh, I know. I am in sales of a very high end retail product (150k plus cost). Fortunately most of my customers are more than happy to leave a positive Google review because they have had such good experiences with my product and my service.

However, I know how hard it is for restaurants, most retail stores, etc to get those positives to be heard. It's amazing how easy it is for someone to just badmouth a business on Yelp, Google etc. I always take those bad reviews with a grain of salt especially after looking at those posters reviews. It's funny that when you look at a Yelp reviewers other reviews it usually reflects what kind of person they are. It never fails, when you see a terrible review and look at their other reviews most are negative.

The old saying goes; you can make most of the people happy most of the time, but you can't make all the people happy all the time. That's how it goes right?

Not to get too off topic, but I saw a Yelp review a while back from this turd of a person. He visited a Thai restaurant that my wife and I decided to check out. He wrote " Ordered Pad Thai and the servers or menu didn't tell me it had peanuts in it. I am deathly allergic to peanuts!" . So he proceeded to give them one star. You F-N douche canoe; Thai food uses tons of peanuts. So I went to Mexican food and gave them one star because they didn't tell me their food may have beans in it. :D

Sponsored

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
What gets me and I don't know if it's already been said, because I didn't read the whole thread. But if it's normal all of them should be doing it. That would make it normal. But if only some are doing it then it's not normal.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If you research oil cavitation, it says thicker oil is more likely to cavitate. So the ticking should be worse at a cold start, or with thicker oil, but seems the opposite is true. It also says that oil cavitation can do lots of damage (surface erosion of metals).
Actually oil like the 5w-20 is thinner when cold and thicker when hot. The 5 is cold viscosity and the 20 is warm viscosity.
In 5w (which stands for winter) 20 oil, the 5 is thinner when it is cold than at normal operating temperature which is the 20. The viscosity goes up (thicker) as it heats up. I can link you several pages that further explain this is you like. Actually here is just one link to read up on https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity.htm
SO much wrong here. There in not a fluid on earth that gets THICKER as it gets HOTTER. Motor oil is many times thicker (like 15~20 times thicker) on the viscosity scale at room temperature than it is at 200 degrees F. 5W-20 is thinner COMPARED TO 5W-30 at 212 F (100 C).

More viscosity = thicker
Less viscosity = thinner

Please go read bobistheoilguy for a week and educate yourself on oil viscosity and what xW-Y really means.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What gets me and I don't know if it's already been said, because I didn't read the whole thread. But if it's normal all of them should be doing it. That would make it normal. But if only some are doing it then it's not normal.
Note that Ford never said it's "normal". They just said its an operating characteristic of the engine and doesn't cause any damage

OhNoA5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Orange Fury GT
Well it depends, sometimes when we get a bulletin on a car it will only apply to cars in the north or cars that have a certain mileage and some cars with a certain production date... and so on.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Note that Ford never said it's "normal". They just said its an operating characteristic of the engine and doesn't cause any damage
Well, that to me is the same thing. "Operating characteristics" should be across the board. Not some do it and others not.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that to me is the same thing. "Operating characteristics" should be across the board. Not some do it and others not.
"to me"

as in YOUR interpretation rather than what it actually says

which means absolutely nothing

Operating characteristics don't need to be across the board. Sometimes certain engines are built slightly different than others, but as long as it doesn't cause any harm, then there's nothing to freak out about

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It is across the board ... all the way back to the Gen1 Coyote of 2011. Ford makes zero distinction in the SSM that it only applies to a certain group of Coyote ... it's ALL 3 generations (2011 to 2019 ... and beyond I'd imagine).

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
It would cost them a fortune to replace all of these engines with the typewriter tick. Therefore it’s “normal”
If all the new engines that have the tick, and the majority keep running with no issues; doesn't that make it normal? Who knows right?

The last thing that Ford wants is a class action lawsuit that will cost them more in the long run. Ford ain't no dummies. The bean counters at Ford would not put the corporation in jeopardy of more expenditures. If this tick or rattle is really as bad as some make it seem, Ford will not take a chance of a lawsuit They are not going to just put out a TSB and hope and pray that this really isn't an issue.

I worked for Audi when I was younger. One of the biggest issues the service dept had to deal with day in and day out was people complaining about high amounts of brake dust and squeaky brakes due to the high performance pads. Seriously. So you know what companies like Audi do; they dumb down the cars for the public. They put pads on that don't stop as well, but last longer and produce no noise and less dust.

I'm sure there are people complaining about the heat shields and catalytic converters ticking when they heat up and cool down too. It seriously wouldn't surprise me.

Once again, I am not saying that there are not Mustangs with some issues like all cars. I am sure there are plenty. I just want to be clear I feel for the people that genuinely are having serious issues.

OhNoA5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Orange Fury GT
SO much wrong here. There in not a fluid on earth that gets THICKER as it gets HOTTER. Motor oil is many times thicker (like 15~20 times thicker) on the viscosity scale at room temperature than it is at 200 degrees F. 5W-20 is thinner COMPARED TO 5W-30 at 200 F.

More viscosity = thicker
Less viscosity = thinner

Please go read bobistheoilguy for a week and educate yourself on oil viscosity and what xW-Y really means.
I stand corrected good sir!
Sponsored