Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Except they didn’t. They only referenced the tsb when a customer complained.
"Only referenced the TSB when a customer complained"

So, what you're saying is there was a TSB for it

So, in other words, Ford actually said there was something wrong with the car.

Thank you
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
But can dealerships distinguish the difference? I doubt many can, so people that have any kind of ticking are now just going to be told it's "normal" because that's what the SSM says.
From what I've seen, the actual problematic noises (piston slap) have been at ALL RPMs, not just idle-1700. If the noise exists above 1700RPM, then it does not fall in line with the noise described in the TSB and should be taken care of by a dealership

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford's new SSM is talking about the BBQ tick, which they calk the typewriter tick. They are not addressing the "2000 RPM rattle".

Are you saying the oil pump is the cause of the BBQ tick? I doubt it since the tick is low and at the rear of the engine, just like Ford said in their SSM. The oil pump is at the front of yhe engine.
No. Mine has tolerance issues between the piston and cylinder wall leading to oil consumption and metal in the oil causing the clatter.

Sponsored

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
If it's caused by oil cavitation in the journal bearings, then why don't they all do it? Can't be that much difference in bearings to make some tick while others are quiet, while all use the same 5W-20 Motorcraft oil.

If you research oil cavitation, it says thicker oil is more likely to cavitate. So the ticking should be worse at a cold start, or with thicker oil, but seems the opposite is true. It also says that oil cavitation can do lots of damage (surface errosion of metals).

I still think it's caused by excessive rod side clearance and/or excessive crankshaft end play clearance.

Has anyone tried sitting on a steep hill or run the car with the front end up on ramps to see if the BBQ tick changes when the crankshaft is not horizontal? In other words, when gravity is making the crankshaft ride hard on the thrust bearing? If it's excessive end play that test may cause the tick to change or disappear.[/QUOTE

Typewriter noise

“Oil Cavitation” That is what I was told by Ford 5.0 Powertrain Engineering. They have been testing different types of bearings, I was told. Also Oil Cavitation was the cause in the Diesel engine, that went on for 11 years. They solved that one by redesigning the oil pump and moving it. This is what I was told by Ford. That’s all I got!

OhNoA5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Orange Fury GT
If you research oil cavitation, it says thicker oil is more likely to cavitate. So the ticking should be worse at a cold start, or with thicker oil, but seems the opposite is true
Actually oil like the 5w-20 is thinner when cold and thicker when hot. The 5 is cold viscosity and the 20 is warm viscosity.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I owned 2 Coyote mustangs. Both had the tick. Both cars ran road courses. Both cars had no engine mechanical issues. The 2012 had 75k miles N/A full bolt on's and the 15 had 20k. Now the transmission (MT82) however!!! caca.

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still not upgrading to an engine that has a noticeable “tick”. I’m also not upgrading to an engine that is known for piston slap at 2000rpm. Ford saying after years of this issue that it is normal does not give me any comfort.

The bottom line is that I don’t trust the 3rd Generation Coyote engine and I’m not alone. Ford saying the tick is normal does not change anything in my mind.

You fully realize that the Ford statement states 2011-2019 5.0 V8's meaning your hysterical response is completely unfounded. There's nothing wrong with the 2018+ motor that isn't also wrong with the 2011-2017 versions.

There are far more of these that exhibit zero tick than there are that do exhibit the noise. Social media has brought this to our attention more than before but there's nothing 'wrong' with the 2018+ 5.0. It just won 10 best engines in the world again for 2018 LOL

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You fully realize that the Ford statement states 2011-2019 5.0 V8's meaning your hysterical response is completely unfounded. There's nothing wrong with the 2018+ motor that isn't also wrong with the 2011-2017 versions.

There are far more of these that exhibit zero tick than there are that do exhibit the noise. Social media has brought this to our attention more than before but there's nothing 'wrong' with the 2018+ 5.0. It just won 10 best engines in the world again for 2018 LOL
It might be a little different for some of us when it becomes an actual mechanical problem and throws out misfire codes.
Overall, I believe that these engine are outstanding. However, one still needs to look at it in a mass production point of view. Not all of them would ever be 100%. Not even from an aerospace machinist perspective. Even so, I still have faith. It’s a beast of a motor. I can’t wait to get mine back again. Just in time for spring to hit. It’s an awesome ride.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Actually oil like the 5w-20 is thinner when cold and thicker when hot. The 5 is cold viscosity and the 20 is warm viscosity.
Wut.

Watch that video. Now pour one of those at room temp and tell me that it somehow is "thicker" than the examples in the video.

The oil gets thinner when hot, but due to additives it's viscosity goes up.

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Wut.

Watch that video. Now pour one of those at room temp and tell me that it somehow is "thicker" than the examples in the video.

LMAO common man this video is so off. The oil that people are using is 5W-30 vs 5W-20

OhNoA5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Orange Fury GT
Wut.

Hey please research this more. I wasnt try to come off as your wrong and im right. I just see some stuff posted that can point people in the wrong direction. In 5w (which stands for winter) 20 oil, the 5 is thinner when it is cold than at normal operating temperature which is the 20. The viscosity goes up (thicker) as it heats up. I can link you several pages that further explain this is you like. Actually here is just one link to read up on https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity.htm

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hey please research this more. I wasnt try to come off as your wrong and im right. I just see some stuff posted that can point people in the wrong direction. In 5w (which stands for winter) 20 oil, the 5 is thinner when it is cold than at normal operating temperature which is the 20. The viscosity goes up (thicker) as it heats up. I can link you several pages that further explain this is you like. Actually here is just one link to read up on https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity.htm
But that is not what the person you quoted is talking about. He is talking about the cold oil vs warm oil. I don't care about all the technical terms. What he is clearly saying is that when cold the less viscus oil is what should cause cavitation as it is THICKER/Denser/oozier/what ever you want to call it. Thick, like a milk shake.

This is why I hate oil conversations people get hung up on terms instead of trying to get the meaning of what is said.

Either way I believe his point is when temperatures are too cold (during wintertime, for example), the viscosity may be too high to enable proper oil flow in the suction line and into the pump. Other causes of high oil viscosity can lead to the same problem. Perhaps what should really be run is a 5w30 or 40 as it seems to show up when warm the 5w is likely fine, the other weight should be changed.

I'd like to hear more from the Australian cars that get 5w30 recommended weight. See how many of those have ticks. My old 32v 4.6 would tick like no tomorrow until I put a 30 or 40 in it. If I ever put 20 in it, it was SUPER noisy almost to the point of not being happy.

I'd also like to know what changed to make Ford now say that 50 is no longer needed for track use in the GT. If anything tolerances seem to be looser now.
Sponsored

Last edited: