Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
srs?
They offer no explanation to the tick and your ok with that? You just take their word for it?
I have a piece of crap Daihatsu car sitting in my garage 10years old with no engine noise whatsoever, yet this brand new 45k stang has an unexplained ticking noise.
The least they can do is offer an explanation to the cause of the tick and why only some cars have it.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
srs?
They offer no explanation to the tick and your ok with that? You just take their word for it?
I have a piece of crap Daihatsu car sitting in my garage 10years old with no engine noise whatsoever, yet this brand new 45k stang has an unexplained ticking noise.
The least they can do is offer an explanation to the cause of the tick and why only some cars have it.
Exactly.
Ford says "Oh that's normal" and they don't tell you what is causing the noise? That's BS. No engine should make that noise. And why does it happen after an oil change mostly?

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Ford may claim sound is "normal" but who would have bought the car if it was making this noise on the dealers lot?

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
I've got audible piston slap at all RPM. Honestly I don't care so much about the stupid ticking noise. I think the problem with alot of this is the subjective analysis of defining a noise using words. If my car was just making a faint tick-tick-tick I wouldn't be so irritated. I wouldn't necessarily be excited that my 35k car was making stupid noises but I could live with it I suppose. In my case I've got this brutal piston slap that you can very clearly hear at nearly any RPM. Due to the frequency of the noise it is harder to hear after 3k rpm (also due to the exhaust), but you can just hear things banging around in there. Metal on metal.

Right now I'm just gonna send it bc it's my only car and this horrible noise is less than 2-3 weeks old for me, but I'm pretty sure when I have ford do an oil analysis they are gonna find metal shavings. I'll try to get a video up if I can, It's literally 10 degrees where I'm at.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The tick/rattle/knock is a deal breaker for me......I will not buy the current Coyote while this is a issue.
To many people have now had their motors sleeved to make the problem go away.
Every aftermarket company is saying the same thing and using the same cure.....
Ford needs to fix this.
The Coyote before this one did not have this problem.
The 5.2 does not have this problem to the best of my knowledge.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
And there's another one to add to the mix, not ticking but Piston slap. Definitely something up with the way this motor was designed.
It's not all the same people, and it's not only on this forum as some would say.
Where you at in Chicago YoloBathsalts, would be interesting to hear it for myself

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
And there's another one to add to the mix, not ticking but Piston slap. Definitely something up with the way this motor was designed.
It's not all the same people, and it's not only on this forum as some would say.
Where you at in Chicago YoloBathsalts, would be interesting to hear it for myself
Sent a PM.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I had a first gen coyote. It had the tick.
I had a 2nd gen Coyote. It had the tick.
I had a GT350, it had the tick.
I have an R, 5.2L Voodoo. It has the "tick"
The tick/rattle/knock is a deal breaker for me......I will not buy the current Coyote while this is a issue.
To many people have now had their motors sleeved to make the problem go away.
Every aftermarket company is saying the same thing and using the same cure.....
Ford needs to fix this.
The Coyote before this one did not have this problem.
The 5.2 does not have this problem to the best of my knowledge.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Piston slap. Got that one too! Lol

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
You are welcome.
81514UycwQL._SY879_.jpg

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
"Ford is replacing engine after engine
Please tell me what percentage of engines out there from 2011-present have been replaced to validate your "engine after engine" assetion.

"It's normal guys!". This sounds suspiciously like an attempt by Ford to avoid making more costly repairs. That's all this is. If you're really being objective you have to say to yourself this is fishy. SO many complaints on this forum alone. A few guys could be neurotic about it, but not this many people. It doesn't make sense.
Please tell me what percentage of people on this forum make up the total number of 2011-present owners. Also, please tell me what percentage of the membership here actually has stated they have a problem.

I'll take the word of Ford's engineers over your conspiracy theory.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Please tell me what percentage of people on this forum make up the total number of 2011-present owners. Also, please tell me what percentage of the membership here actually has stated they have a problem.
The total number of Mustang owner's that are members here is a very very small percentage of all Mustang owners - and they are pretty much just 2015 to 2019 owners, not pre-2015.

Yet ... there is a pretty high percentage of members here that report their engine either has the typewriter tick and/or the 2K RPM rattle. So how many 2011 thru 2019 owners have it that aren't members here? The odds of only guys who belong to M6G got a noisy engine is basically astronomical.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Define "high percentage" as I already asked.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Please tell me what percentage of engines out there from 2011-present have been replaced to validate your "engine after engine" assetion.

I'll take the word of Ford's engineers over your conspiracy theory.
LOL. It's ok. All ya'll know. Deep down.
Why don't you tell me the percentage?

What is more likely? Many owners were getting their engines replaced after bringing it into the dealer for the "tick", but Ford didn't really need to replace those engines, and those owners are just super OCD and the Ford dealers are gullible.
So basically Ford has been needlessly throwing away money.

Or - Ford technicians actually found real problems after tearing into these engines which were brought in for the "tick", and that's why the engines were replaced. And now they have replaced so many and don't want it to get out of hand or allow the bad press on social media to continue, thus hurting their brand. So they issue this statement. The statement from Ford wasn't even proofread for grammar and spelling, but let's unequivocally accept what they say. And oh, btw just saw another one today. BBQ tick, metal shavings found in oil filter, rubbing on the cylinder walls. New thread just this morning. Not to mention that the 2011 engines are not the same as the 2018s.

Ford is a huge company. They have to cover their ass and protect their bottom line. I'm not saying I know any better than the next guy, but I refuse to believe all these 2018 owners who have gone through this are crazy. Some of these people have a legitimate gripe and still haven't been made right. I'm just saying if you reason through it all, the statement that it is perfectly normal doesn't seem to make sense. Believe it if you want to but I personally do not.
Sponsored