Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
SO much wrong here. There in not a fluid on earth that gets THICKER as it gets HOTTER.
Thanks to a quick text to my buddy over at Rockwell Collins. This is what he stated.

"There are some chemicals which can form temporary cross-links and other weak bonds at higher temperatures, making them more viscous. Ie. some high temperature plasmas where the viscosity increases as temp increases".

Sorry to drag this thread further off topic.
Sponsored

Semnole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I recorded this video last year prior to dropping off my 17 GT to the local Ford dealership. Ford determined it was not normal and ordered a new short block.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If this tick or rattle is really as bad as some make it seem, Ford will not take a chance of a lawsuit They are not going to just put out a TSB and hope and pray that this really isn't an issue.
I think that's their first move. What's so strange is why did it take Ford so long to add the Mustang and F-150 (Coyotes since 2011) to the SSM when the basic same TSB has been out for the Powerstroke for so long.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to a quick text to my buddy over at Rockwell Collins. This is what he stated.

"There are some chemicals which can form temporary cross-links and other weak bonds at higher temperatures, making them more viscous. Ie. some high temperature plasmas where the viscosity increases as temp increases".

Sorry to drag this thread further off topic.
Maybe Ford should spec out some high temperature plasma to run in these damn Coyotes ... maybe the plasma will weld the loose parts back together - LOL. I think everyone knows what my point was. :)

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I get a tick after an oil change for a few thousand miles.

Don't care.

Sponsored

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
I think that's their first move. What's so strange is why did it take Ford so long to add the Mustang and F-150 (Coyotes since 2011) to the SSM when the basic same TSB has been out for the Powerstroke for so long.
Why did it take so long? Because in general for the last eight years most people have not had a catastrophic engine failure, metal in oil, or give a darn about a noise they can rarely hear? Thanks to social media in good and bad ways; Ford among every other company that produces anything tangible whatsoever has to step up their game in terms of appeasing small percentages of buyers that make a big stink about a not so big issues if they don't.

Once again, I am not saying this may or may not be a big issue. However, from the facts I have seen it's still a very small percentage of people that have actually had a new engine or lemoned vehicle due to a full damaged powerplant due to metal in the oil or catastrophic failure.

25 years ago, Ford wouldn't have issued any sort of TSB for this as each dealer would have dealt with this on a case by case basis. I guarantee the percentage of dealers that would be seeing and diagnosing cars with the "tick" or "2k rattle" would have been 1% of what they are seeing now due to social media. 1% is probably being conservative. I bet 25 years ago, they wouldn't see .5% of the cars they are seeing today for a tick or rattle in a new car. Not only because of social media, but because people are more aware of noises as cars tolerances have become smaller, vehicles are quieter, and people expect more out of their manufactures because they have been conditioned to.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I think the fact that Ford just blanketed this problem by throwing it in with all the other 5.0L Mustangs from back to 2011, that should tell you something. Ford is replacing engine after engine and then all the sudden.. "It's normal guys!". This sounds suspiciously like an attempt by Ford to avoid making more costly repairs. That's all this is. If you're really being objective you have to say to yourself this is fishy. SO many complaints on this forum alone. A few guys could be neurotic about it, but not this many people. It doesn't make sense.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why did it take so long? Because in general for the last eight years most people have not had a catastrophic engine failure, metal in oil, or give a darn about a noise they can rarely hear? Thanks to social media in good and bad ways; Ford among every other company that produces anything tangible whatsoever has to step up their game in terms of appeasing small percentages of buyers that make a big stink about a not so big issues if they don't.
If you go way back, there was talk about the BBQ tick shortly after the Gen1 2011 Coyote hit the streets. Sure the "social media" hype wasn't as large as today, but it was talked about on chat boards. And back then Ford Field Engineers were recommending their XL-17 carbon particle additive to silence the ticking. XL-17 has since been discontinued for some reason.

Anyway, it just seems Ford operates in bizarre manners at times. If it was "normal" why wasn't there a TSB written many years ago like for their Powerstroke diesel which apparently also has the BBQ tick. I know if something like this was going on in my engineering world it would have been addressed way back in 2011-2012 when it first started showing up if it was indeed "normal" instead of 8 years later and who knows how many dollars in warranty claims in replaced short and long blocks. It doesn't take 8 years to figure out if an engine noise is normal or not - lol.

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
I think the fact that Ford just blanketed this problem by throwing it in with all the other 5.0L Mustangs from back to 2011, that should tell you something. Ford is replacing engine after engine and then all the sudden.. "It's normal guys!". This sounds suspiciously like an attempt by Ford to avoid making more costly repairs. That's all this is. If you're really being objective you have to say to yourself this is fishy. SO many complaints on this forum alone. A few guys could be neurotic about it, but not this many people. It doesn't make sense.

But they are not replacing engine after engine. This forum and Youtube would lead you to believe that. Did you not see my production numbers I listed? I doubt 2% of the 2018 GT production has even been in to a dealership and had these ticks and rattles documented. And yes, people had a tick and for some time Ford said "yeah replace it". Ford then spent enough time evaluating the actual problem to confirm that 99% of the cars coming in for either or won't ever have a catastrophic issue down the road.

What I expect will happen; there will be a recall with some sort of fix. Probably something super simple that many of the arm chair quarterbacks on here couldn't figure out. Or, maybe not. Maybe all of our cars will last 10k and blow up. Then we will all be driving around in Camaros, who knows?

foxcoupefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT4
If you go way back, there was talk about the BBQ tick shortly after the Gen1 2011 Coyote hit the streets. Sure the "social media" hype wasn't as large as today, but it was talked about on chat boards. And back then Ford Field Engineers were recommending their XL-17 carbon particle additive to silence the ticking. XL-17 has since been discontinued for some reason.

Anyway, it just seems Ford operates in bizarre manners at times. If it was "normal" why wasn't there a TSB written many years ago like for their Powerstroke diesel which apparently also has the BBQ tick. I know if something like this was going on in my engineering world it would have been addressed way back in 2011-2012 when it first started showing up if it was indeed "normal" instead of 8 years later and who knows how many dollars in warranty claims in replaced short and long blocks. It doesn't take 8 years to figure out if an engine noise is normal or not - lol.

I agree with you. But honestly, isn't this how most companies operate? My wife and I always use these TV shows as a perfect examples. If the all the idiots on these shows would have just fessed up to the mistakes they made, their problems would be so minimal. But hey, they crash Dad's car, break a window, get in F in school, cheat on their spouse and they always hide it. Then it becomes this huge ordeal. But hey if they just fessed up, there wouldn't be any good drama on Tv right? What would these forums do without a bunch of drama about ticks and rattles? We would all just sit around and talk about open track days and performance mods. How boring. :D

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you. But honestly, isn't this how most companies operate? My wife and I always use these TV shows as a perfect examples. If the all the idiots on these shows would have just fessed up to the mistakes they made, their problems would be so minimal. But hey, they crash Dad's car, break a window, get in F in school, cheat on their spouse and they always hide it. Then it becomes this huge ordeal. But hey if they just fessed up, there wouldn't be any good drama on Tv right? What would these forums do without a bunch of drama about ticks and rattles? We would all just sit around and talk about open track days and performance mods. How boring. :D
LOL ... yeah I hear ya. Maybe Jerry Springer or Dr. Phil could get some Ford engineers to come on their shows and talk about engine noises. :bandit:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Or maybe the ones they have replaced didn't need replacing in most cases hence they are drawing a line under it. If there is severe bore scoring or other such significant problems the oil consumption will rise and the engine will go bang. If it doesn't fail then there is no real problem.

This forum represents a very small proportion of Mustang owners. A small proportion of those have had engines replaced, and quite possible only a small proportion of those actually needed to ?

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
There are different kinds of "ticks". So if you are concerned with your engine ticking, bring it in for repairs. It may be a benign issue, or it may be a whole other can of worms. I have dealt with an engine tick since purchasing my '16 brand new. After getting no help from two ford dealerships (see: swindled. one of them blamed it on the intake manifold, which I then replied "you've got to be joking...."), decided to give a third dealership a shot. My car has been sitting there for 5 weeks, but at least they are actually trying to fix it. They took pictures of the inside of my engine, and other parts (service rep wasn't clear), and Ford HQ told them to replace the cylinder heads.
Point is, if your engine is ticking, DON'T take this statement as "it must be normal! Nothing to worry about! No need to bring it in for repairs!" as it could easily be another issue. And it is Ford's responsibility to stand by their product, so this is ESPECIALLY important if you still have the factory warranty like I do.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You may be right. But when guy next to me at a stop light gets me to roll my window down to ask me if I’m ok because he can here it,.. that’s a little embarrassing.
The fix is a resonator delete and pair of Outlaws lol.... Problem solved.... your welcome.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
I recorded this video last year prior to dropping off my 17 GT to the local Ford dealership. Ford determined it was not normal and ordered a new short block.
Ah yes that's the good ole BBQ ignitor tick if I've ever heard one. My old 2012 had that at Idle. never bothered doing a video of it revving. At idle on the passenger side though you could hear it just like that every i don't know 5 seconds or so and it sounded just like you pushing the button on your favorite gas grill to ignite the flame for a couple clicks then it would stop then another 5-10 seconds and it would come back
Sponsored