Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Could the oil pressure be too high on cold starts without that valve?
Even though the valve was put there just for fuel economy and nothing else, that doesn't mean that the engine hasn't been adapted to work efficiently with it (i.e. to work best with lower oil pressures) - in which case increasing the pressure might be detrimental. Hot idle would certainly be fine, but what about 3000 rpm with a cold engine at 20 °F?
The separate computer controlled "pressure control" valve used on the 2018+ 3rd Gen Coyote is for "fuel economy" purposes ... ie, it reduces oil pressure and flow at low RPM, and hence makes the pump work a little less which saves a few drops of fuel. It's basically like a secondary relief/bypass valve that must divert some oil flow back to the sump, which will decrease oil flow and hence oil pressure to the engine.

The oil pump still has it's own internal pressure relief valve like it has always had. So on cold starts and high RPM, the pressure is regulated to a maximum. The mechanical valve in the oil pump would still work as designed even if the separate computer controlled "pressure control" fuel saving valve wasn't working.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I believe I have seen a setting in the tune to adjust the oil pressure control valve settings.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe I have seen a setting in the tune to adjust the oil pressure control valve settings.
Wondering if the pressure control valve has proportional control, or is it just an either open or closed valve control. If the latter, then the adjustability in the tune may just be at what RPM the valve opens or closes.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a picture of what can be adjusted in the tune
20210429_170827.jpg
It shows a duty-cycle range, so it could be a proportional type control valve.

Under "Oil Pump Control", what besides "2-State" is shown? "2-State" makes it sound like the valve is either open or closed (2 states).

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
It shows a duty-cycle range, so it could be a proportional type control valve.

Under "Oil Pump Control", what besides "2-State" is shown? "2-State" makes it sound like the valve is either open or closed (2 states).
The options are 2-state or Continuous Ctrl and the information box says it is the Master switch for oil pump controller type.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
So if I switch from 5w20 oil to 5w30 in hopes of upping my idle oil pressure, will the pressure control valve just adjust it down again?

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Interesting that this tick has been in the 5.0 since 2011.
One would think Ford would fix the issue if it was a problem.
One would think Ford would address the problem so owners are not freaking out ,and taking it out on the dealers service dept.
I know I would be salty if I paid 50-85k for a new Truck and after it's first oil service is ticking like a slant six with solid lifters.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I do not know why, but the SSM was re-released again in April 2021 and is SSM 49761 as seen below:

7A8C1F10-BC1F-44FF-A25B-C3BE0DFE234E.jpeg

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not know why, but the SSM was re-released again in April 2021 and is SSM 49761 as seen below:

7A8C1F10-BC1F-44FF-A25B-C3BE0DFE234E.jpeg
Hummm, strange ... maybe Ford assigned a new SSM number if the SSM is revised. The original SSM for the Typewriter Tick was SSM 7718. Looks like they just added the more extensive vehicle list.

SSM 7718 (2).JPG

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hummm, strange ... maybe Ford assigned a new SSM number if the SSM is revised. The original SSM for the Typewriter Tick was SSM 7718. Looks like they just added the more extensive vehicle list.

SSM 7718 (2).JPG
... isolated to the transmission bell housing...
Those of you who have the tick and manual transmission try this while staying an in neutral - press clutch all the way down to the floor, then use gas pedal to introduce the tick in whatever way works for your car. When I had tick I could feel some very special sensation through my left leg that correlated with the tick. Not sure how to describe it though. Some sort of roughness, like when surfaces that are not smooth slide agains each other. When out of tick rpm range it would go away.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Those of you who have the tick and manual transmission try this while staying an in neutral - press clutch all the way down to the floor, then use gas pedal to introduce the tick in whatever way works for your car. When I had tick I could feel some very special sensation through my left leg that correlated with the tick. Not sure how to describe it though. Some sort of roughness, like when surfaces that are not smooth slide agains each other. When out of tick rpm range it would go away.
Totally going to try this at lunch time today.

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I found something interesting while prepping the car to pull the trans for a new clutch.
I'm not saying that this is the problem. The heat shield under the passenger header/ cat was never tightened from the factory and can make a very similar sound to a ticking typewriter.

Last edited: