Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I wish I only added half a bottle and see if that was enough. That being said I am shocked how quiet the motor is now.
Totally fine to add full bottle the first time. Once it works itself into surfaces you can reduce dosage.
Sponsored

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Mine did it after I got an oil change, it went away after putting in a few hundred miles. i picked up mine used, it had 19K on it, it very likely ticked previously. Something about fresh oil makes it tick I guess.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Something about fresh oil makes it tick I guess.
New oil can strip the layer of anti-wear/anti-friction additive layer that was built up from the previous oil. Then it takes awhile for a new layer to build-up.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Just did my oil change. Added around 75ml ceratec this time. Prefilled oil filter as usual and cranked the engine until oil pressure buildup, it actually takes significant time.

75ml of ceratec makes oil look like unfiltered hefeweizen, which is less scary than latte. 150ml I added last time was a latte thing

No tick so far, but a little more mileage will tell. I'm in tick prevention mode. My first short block replacement was quiet, but started the tick right away after the oil change. So with the second short block I added ceratec right away, but reduce dosage with each time.

P.S. I remember a few more forum members that got their short block replaced and tick came back. Some of them got new long block then, and that was a reliable fix. So maybe there's something outside of short block that impacts the tick.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
No tick so far, but a little more mileage will tell. I'm in tick prevention mode. My first short block replacement was quiet, but started the tick right away after the oil change.
Do you know if the short block came with an oil fill from the factory?

P.S. I remember a few more forum members that got their short block replaced and tick came back. Some of them got new long block then, and that was a reliable fix
Was it reported as a reliable fix 'for sure'? If so it definitely suggests something beyond the short block but then Ford would probably have just picked another engine off the shelf. Maybe the folks that got new long blocks put Ceratec in from the get go.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Do you know if the short block came with an oil fill from the factory?

Was it reported as a reliable fix 'for sure'? If so it definitely suggests something beyond the short block but then Ford would probably have just picked another engine off the shelf. Maybe the folks that got new long blocks put Ceratec in from the get go.
I do not know if it came with fil from factory, but invoice on overall work contained a row for the oil if dealership supplied the oil. I checked pert number on oil and it was just regular mc 5w20 but from bulk container.

As far as lomg block replacement- no it was not reported as a 100% fix, but I recollect multiple stories here where long block was replaced after short block bbq tick comeback and no bbq tick afterwards.

I asked for long block on my second visit and dealership agreed, but ford did not approve.

So on the second sb I immediately was ready for another comeback and thus selected ceratec tick prevention mode right away.

My theory is - cerztec or mos2 must be in the oil befeore the oul change.

P.S. on factory fill thing - I've read on factoty engine assembly process overall back when this bbq thing was at its pinnacle. And I remember that they supply the enginw with some sort of powder or something that supports initial engine start and break-in. So this is what potentially might be suspensing particles in initial oil fill, then going away fith first oil change and causing some engines tick.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
My engine makes noise, once I got use to the sound, listen for changes.

Not sure what some are expecting regarding the sound.

Put your ear to a full roller motor and listen to it thrash.

An aluminum block, chain driven OHCs & lifters. Covered buy light weight valve covers. The 2 block & valve covers, do not absorb sound they project it.

Frankly the only real time I hear the mechanicals is in a closed area . Don't do drive thru fast food, pulling the car out to go for a ride.

I am busy listing to the exhaust note and enjoying it. Don't use the radio 95% of time.

Ford swapping the blocks, sounds to me like they are/ were listening to the customer. Have done the research and have concluded

Nothing to worry about

What you may say ? Try this on for size. Who and I would need pictures to accept the claim. Showing chips or failed parts removed.

Can tell me their motor grenaded because of this sound .

Everyone seems so concerned about. Refuses to accept any explanation as to what or why it is heard .

Forget the I paid XYZ and expect , yada yada, that it a red haring.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
My engine makes noise, once I got use to the sound, listen for changes.

Not sure what some are expecting regarding the sound.

Put your ear to a full roller motor and listen to it thrash.

An aluminum block, chain driven OHCs & lifters. Covered buy light weight valve covers. The 2 block & valve covers, do not absorb sound they project it.

Frankly the only real time I hear the mechanicals is in a closed area . Don't do drive thru fast food, pulling the car out to go for a ride.

I am busy listing to the exhaust note and enjoying it. Don't use the radio 95% of time.

Ford swapping the blocks, sounds to me like they are/ were listening to the customer. Have done the research and have concluded

Nothing to worry about

What you may say ? Try this on for size. Who and I would need pictures to accept the claim. Showing chips or failed parts removed.

Can tell me their motor grenaded because of this sound .

Everyone seems so concerned about. Refuses to accept any explanation as to what or why it is heard .

Forget the I paid XYZ and expect , yada yada, that it a red haring.
Arguments like yours come pretty often. But for each one like you there's another one that does not enjoy the tick. So these threads are for those concerned.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Late to the party. And might be totally off in left field.
I had a set of rhoads lifters back in the day, that ticked at low rpm, idle.
They were marketed this way to bleed down at low rpm to tame the cam.
Ford wouldn't use the same trickery for epa testing reasons.
I know the OHC doesn't have lifters, but cam followers. but could it just be set up for fast bleed down at low rpm/idle.
Again, maybe way off in left field.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know the OHC doesn't have lifters, but cam followers. but could it just be set up for fast bleed down at low rpm/idle.

I don't think so, these motors have a lot more chains, rollers and so forth internally than an iron block.

99 bought my truck LS motor, was the first full roller production motor for me. And noticed right up front I could hear the lifters.

Having a built block in a coupe with roller internals, dawned on me what I was hearing. 155k later, today the truck still sounds the same, all good.

I also think the chain cam drives and the on the fly timing adds more noise. But it is a happy noise, that put a grin on my face, as I'm pressed into the seat harder.

Love the Mustang, and still have the coupe.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not all Coyotes tick.
Ticking typically starts right after an oil change.
I doubt Ford designed lifters to do that - if so, these engines would all tick, and tick all the time at idle/low RPM, not start tricking right after an oil change.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tick starts to appear like clockwork as the engine warms up and oil pressure drops below ~28psi. That's why it still showed up on occasion with the older models too, but not quite as frequent. When the engine is hot at 12psi idle, the tick will remain as RPM increases, even with oil pressure at 2,000RPM is still below 30psi. However, once RPM is high enough and the bypass shuts, pressure shoots to 80psi, and the tick vanishes instantly. This occurs at the same pressures, whether the oil is still somewhat cold/thicker or fully hot/thinner.
What happens on a 3rd Gen Coyote with the variable flow oil pump when the oil pump control valve is electrically unplugged? Does the pump's pressure control valve close and the oil pump put out more pressure at low RPM? I would think that is how the failure default mode would be designed.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So 5W30 looks like a good deal, maybe tone it down some, about to find very shortly.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
So 5W30 looks like a good deal, maybe tone it down some, about to find very shortly.
I don't have the tick but my next oil change will be 5w30 as well. I don't like seeing such low oil pressure at idle even though it is within Ford's accepted range.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Not all Coyotes tick.
Ticking typically starts right after an oil change.
I doubt Ford designed lifters to do that - if so, these engines would all tick, and tick all the time at idle/low RPM, not start tricking right after an oil change.
Production tolerances stack up. would be why some might and some don't.
A ticking from a hyd follower is from lack of oil pressure if it goes away off idle, and higher.
It is odd that it happens after the 1st oil change. Has anyone had the oil that the vehicles ship with tested by a lab. Maybe ford installs thicker oil on the 1st fill, for break in?
It be nice to have a oil lab look into the oil in a new v8 .
I am going with the oil shipped in the vehicle is thicker weight, than what ford is listing to use.
Can't have a new vehicles engine ticking away when trying to sell it .
Sponsored