Paint Touch Up DIY

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
With more time than I know what to do with atm, I'm conjuring up a long list of tasks for the car. I won't have much money to spend this year but I'm aiming to give the stang some much deserved TLC.

One of those things being touching up the many small stone chips in the paint, and also I'm very keen to have a stab at refurbishing/repairing my wheels.

Curious to know if anyone else has gone the DIY route themselves and what products were used/lessons learned etc? The wheel refurb would include a small amount of filler well, as there are one or 2 stone chips that I'd rather fill than paint over.

A full respray is an option for sure for the wheels, but at this point I'd rather spend little money and spend a lot of time!

Advertisement

CJJon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Touch up pens (base and clear) for the paint chips and maybe plasti-dip your wheels (after filling the divots)?

Getting paint to match on a respray can be quite difficult.

maddog1982

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I've got a pot of chipex here which is all in one base and clear coat. The colour match is perfect. Its a bit trial and error not removing all the paint though, it says leave it a few mins i prefer days myself.

OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Its a bit trial and error not removing all the paint though
removing the paint? Is that one of the products with a "leveller" solution that takes off the excess?

maddog1982

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
removing the paint? Is that one of the products with a "leveller" solution that takes off the excess?
Yeah they call it a blending solution, just removes the paint you added. Says to do it after 5 mins but you end up removing all the new paint. I've touched in a chip a week a go, going be a bitch blending that but hopefully get a better result. I've had good results on my car being red but struggled on the golf r which is a pearl blue.

Chappers

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 - Magnetic
i did my wheels myself after a spree of kerbing, i ended up grinding down the jagged rash of the wheel so it was smooth then used a black gloss wheel touch up paint (pot with a brush) to finish it, did two coats over the pure aluminium and you cant tell unless i pointed it out to you, the worst wheel was the front passenger side i practically had to grind down the whole circumference of the wheel to restore it. it's not perfect but looks a lot better than the pure silver sticking out. i'm quite pleased with the results.

i'd like to do the stone chips myself too but i'd like some guidance on that one.

this was the before
IMG_20191215_134430.jpg

after DIY touch up
IMG_20200509_124801.jpg

Reactions: dps
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
vast improvement @Chappers ! How did you find the gloss black matched the oem paint? I've got the perfectionist curse, so I'd want to make sure I got a 100% paint colour match.

Did you do any more sanding after the paint went on to smooth it out?

Chappers

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 - Magnetic
vast improvement @Chappers ! How did you find the gloss black matched the oem paint? I've got the perfectionist curse, so I'd want to make sure I got a 100% paint colour match.

Did you do any more sanding after the paint went on to smooth it out?
Hey it was a perfect match, to be honest the paint was recommended on this forum but cant remember who by now it was a while ago.

no i didnt do any sanding after as knowing me i'd balls it up, so i left it with the brush strokes in, now im making it sound a lot worse than it actually is unless you've got your face in the wheel you dont notice it.

Advertisement

89 - Solo Performance - 1

Advertisement