Sponsored

Paint Touch Up DIY

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
With more time than I know what to do with atm, I'm conjuring up a long list of tasks for the car. I won't have much money to spend this year but I'm aiming to give the stang some much deserved TLC.

One of those things being touching up the many small stone chips in the paint, and also I'm very keen to have a stab at refurbishing/repairing my wheels.

Curious to know if anyone else has gone the DIY route themselves and what products were used/lessons learned etc? The wheel refurb would include a small amount of filler well, as there are one or 2 stone chips that I'd rather fill than paint over.

A full respray is an option for sure for the wheels, but at this point I'd rather spend little money and spend a lot of time!
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Touch up pens (base and clear) for the paint chips and maybe plasti-dip your wheels (after filling the divots)?

Getting paint to match on a respray can be quite difficult.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I've got a pot of chipex here which is all in one base and clear coat. The colour match is perfect. Its a bit trial and error not removing all the paint though, it says leave it a few mins i prefer days myself.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Its a bit trial and error not removing all the paint though
removing the paint? Is that one of the products with a "leveller" solution that takes off the excess?

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
removing the paint? Is that one of the products with a "leveller" solution that takes off the excess?
Yeah they call it a blending solution, just removes the paint you added. Says to do it after 5 mins but you end up removing all the new paint. I've touched in a chip a week a go, going be a bitch blending that but hopefully get a better result. I've had good results on my car being red but struggled on the golf r which is a pearl blue.

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
i did my wheels myself after a spree of kerbing, i ended up grinding down the jagged rash of the wheel so it was smooth then used a black gloss wheel touch up paint (pot with a brush) to finish it, did two coats over the pure aluminium and you cant tell unless i pointed it out to you, the worst wheel was the front passenger side i practically had to grind down the whole circumference of the wheel to restore it. it's not perfect but looks a lot better than the pure silver sticking out. i'm quite pleased with the results.

i'd like to do the stone chips myself too but i'd like some guidance on that one.

this was the before
IMG_20191215_134430.jpg

after DIY touch up
IMG_20200509_124801.jpg

Reactions: dps
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
vast improvement @Chappers ! How did you find the gloss black matched the oem paint? I've got the perfectionist curse, so I'd want to make sure I got a 100% paint colour match.

Did you do any more sanding after the paint went on to smooth it out?

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
vast improvement @Chappers ! How did you find the gloss black matched the oem paint? I've got the perfectionist curse, so I'd want to make sure I got a 100% paint colour match.

Did you do any more sanding after the paint went on to smooth it out?
Hey it was a perfect match, to be honest the paint was recommended on this forum but cant remember who by now it was a while ago.

no i didnt do any sanding after as knowing me i'd balls it up, so i left it with the brush strokes in, now im making it sound a lot worse than it actually is unless you've got your face in the wheel you dont notice it.

Sponsored

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
Bit late to reply to this one. But I would Go DrColour Chip. It’s expensive but i got a perfect match and you can’t make a mess of it as the solution removes all excess. I did a few bonnet chips on mine about two years ago and it’s lasted fine.

I left the paint on for a few minutes before removing the excess which worked fine. It’s also perfectly safe for surrounding clear coat.

if you can’t get the right colour code on the site phone or email them.

I have used traditional pens before and always ended up with mismatched blobs that almost looked worse then the chips. This stuff is worlds apart.

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
I have 2 stone chips on the roof. Does the kit keep for future chips and any recommendations for the best value kit in the link below? Thanks

Drcolourchip

FMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe
I have 2 stone chips on the roof. Does the kit keep for future chips and any recommendations for the best value kit in the link below? Thanks

Drcolourchip
I just went with the ÂŁ50 basic one and have loads left. I have had my kit for over a year and it still seems fine.

You can make the results better and better by adding more layers I stoped at about four layers as I felt that it was good enough to not be noticed anymore. From memory I think it took 5-10 mins to do each application.
Sponsored