tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
So I posted a while ago that my Mustang has a few battle scars from stone chips and asked for advice on touch up paints. I went with the Dr Colorchip system based on some recommendations and Youtube videos and thought I'd post my experience in using the product

Unfortunately one of the prerequisites is that the car is clean, and being a sunny-ish day, and a very reflective Magnetic coloured car, most of the photos look as if they are of blue sky or the neighbour's driveway :headbonk:

The worst chip was one that had gone right through to the primer on the left hand side of the hood. It's pretty deep and will need a couple of layers to build it up flush with the original finish but first impressions even after one application are excellent

The kit comes with a single glove, presumably for doing Michaels Jackson impressions whilst the paint is drying, a small pot of colour matched paint, the special blending solution, three brushes and a coupe of cloths

The idea is that you put a blob of paint near the stone chip (not on it) and smear it over the chip with your thumb and leave to dry. After 5 to 10 minutes, you use the blending solution on a cloth (provided) to get rid of the excess paint and hey presto, no stone chip.

I have to say that the colour match was excellent - quite difficult to do on a metallic colour. The repair is not invisible (nor does it claim to be) but it's massively better than standard touch up paints I've used before

The photo doesn't really do it justice as it's only had one layer but from a couple of feet away it's really difficult to see.

I'll post another one when I've done a further layer to see what the final results look like
colorcchip1.jpg
Sponsored