P06E9 DTC No Start

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey guys not sure if I’m in the right section of the thread or not but I’m new and still working my way around here.

I have a 2017 Ford Mustang GT PP about 2 weekends ago I blew the stock clutch so I replaced it with a Mantic twin last week and during the process of install I also found that the stock flywheel also let go. But the point is I’ve replaced the clutch and flywheel and car won’t start. It cranks for a good 2 seconds then just stops. I’ve replaced battery, starter motor, crank sensor, and spark plugs and still no luck. The only code I get is the P06E9 on my ngauge. I am out of ideas and looking for some input. Like I said it cranks for a second or two then just completely stops.
Sponsored

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
Check the ground cable for the starter. Basically a code when the PCM doesn’t detect engine rotation

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First, welcome to the site - you’ll like it, tons of great folks and lots of tech to learn On these S550’s.

Check the pdf in this linked thread; any time there is major engine work or trans work performed on the S550 5.0, the Dealer Service Tech (or DIYer) is supposed to do a crank relearn procedure.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...s-weird-hesitation.125119/page-2#post-2679084

Also check this link if you have a n-gauge for crank relearn:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/new-clutch-dtc-and-shudders.148583/#post-3035678

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
DennisY

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Check the ground cable for the starter. Basically a code when the PCM doesn’t detect engine rotation
Theres not a ground cable for the starter. I thought the ground was the starter being mounted to the block

Sponsored

OP
OP
DennisY

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
First, welcome to the site - you’ll like it, tons of great folks and lots of tech to learn On these S550’s.

Check the pdf in this linked thread; any time there is major engine work or trans work performed on the S550 5.0, the Dealer Service Tech (or DIYer) is supposed to do a crank relearn procedure.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...s-weird-hesitation.125119/page-2#post-2679084

Also check this link if you have an gauge for crank relearn:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/new-clutch-dtc-and-shudders.148583/#post-3035678
Appreciate it! I can’t do a crank relearn through my ngauge since it requires the engine to be started and that’s currently my issue

OP
OP
DennisY

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
This may also help, it’s a pinpoint test, but was posted on the F150 Forum for folks who were having similar problems with that exact error DTC:
https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...230-starter-pcm-fault-p06e9-starter-error.pdf

end result for above F150 link = problem ended up being a bad starter...
Yea I’ve done so much research about the code and could only find a few of the F-150 threads. I’ve seen that post and that’s actually what made me go buy a brand new (not remanufactured) OEM starter directly from Ford and unfortunately my code is still there and engine won’t start only cranks for about 2 seconds.

OP
OP
DennisY

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Thank you, but I have seen the thread and already replaced the sensor and problem still exists unfortunately

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Disconnect the battery for 1/2 an hour, then see what happens.

As a start.

OP
OP
DennisY

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Disconnect the battery for 1/2 an hour, then see what happens.

As a start.
I’ll try that when I get home from work thanks! I’ll also post a video of what it does

Sponsored
OP
OP
DennisY

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
So would I have to take the trans and clutch again to make sure that flywheel is positioned correctly from the sensor?

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Are you sure that the crank sensor tone ring didn't get left out? It is a stamped metal circular plate that goes between the flywheel and the crankshaft. It has the notches that provide a signal to the crank position sensor. If it stuck to the old flywheel, or fell off of the crank, that would be the problem. Unfortunately, the flywheel would have to come back off.........

OP
OP
DennisY

DennisY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP
Are you sure that the crank sensor tone ring didn't get left out? It is a stamped metal circular plate that goes between the flywheel and the crankshaft. It has the notches that provide a signal to the crank position sensor. If it stuck to the old flywheel, or fell off of the crank, that would be the problem. Unfortunately, the flywheel would have to come back off.........
Wow that’s a very good point, I will have to check that as well when I get home.. good thing I haven’t ditched the old flywheel/clutch I’ll have a look and let you know ASAP!
Sponsored