OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Had the driver's puddle light replaced for the SECOND time today.

Forgot to tell them that it had stopped working entirely in the past week and it would appear they didn't check if the replacement was installed ok since it looks like they're still not working. :frusty:

Also asked them to listen out for a noisy thrust bearing and their opinion on it. Service guy comes back and says the tech thinks it's an input shaft on the way out. :( Says they'll need it for 3 or 4 days. Until I point out the short-shifter and remap...

Guy looks at me and says "ah". Luckily he's a car guy and agrees with me that a short-shifter and a remap installed less than 3 weeks ago will not have caused the noise, however, he's not sure what Ford Warranty will have to say about it so he's going to make some enquiries and get back to me.

Worst case scenario I try and source a new part/box from a crashed one (plenty about!).

He made no mention of the fact it's now on 14,300 miles and hasn't been serviced by them, but I don't see that helping my cause even though it's had 2 oil changes. :lol:

So not a good day for me and the car today. :tsk:
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Forgot to tell them that it had stopped working entirely in the past week and it would appear they didn't check if the replacement was installed ok since it looks like they're still not working. :frusty:

Also asked them to listen out for a noisy thrust bearing and their opinion on it. Service guy comes back and says the tech thinks it's an input shaft on the way out. :( Says they'll need it for 3 or 4 days. Until I point out the short-shifter and remap...

Guy looks at me and says "ah". Luckily he's a car guy and agrees with me that a short-shifter and a remap installed less than 3 weeks ago will not have caused the noise, however, he's not sure what Ford Warranty will have to say about it so he's going to make some enquiries and get back to me.

Worst case scenario I try and source a new part/box from a crashed one (plenty about!).

He made no mention of the fact it's now on 14,300 miles and hasn't been serviced by them, but I don't see that helping my cause even though it's had 2 oil changes. :lol:

Ah fook, that's not good, the puddle lamps, rumour was they'd recently been completely redesigned and there was a new 'Wing mirror' that'd be installed (I see that as BS personally), my passanger one has started to go weird but I have a replacement back up it's not weird enough yet to warrant changing.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55

Bummer mate. Mods on a warranteed car are always a risk, the logic of a denial can get pretty twisted - but unilateral.

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yeah, figured I might as well mention it before they got halfway through and say it's not covered.

What's worse is it's not the supplying dealer as they went bust 4 months ago, so it's not like I have any kind of relationship with these guys, although the service guy I've been dealing with is a car guy which will go a little way to helping. Plus he loves the Martini stripes! :D

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Sorry if a daft question, but can you remove the short-shifter and return to stock? Or is it more permanent?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Sorry if a daft question, but can you remove the short-shifter and return to stock? Or is it more permanent?
Totally removable but it's not a 5-minute job by any means. :doh:

As an aside, anyone know how the tech could differentiate between thrust bearing noise and input shaft noise? :shrug:

I ask because I mentioned it to someone else and he said possibly the tech was going on a TSB , which obviously I won't get to see, but if it IS on a TSB then that strengthens my case regarding mods.

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
:lol:

Had a nose round an Edge while I was in the dealers. Very nice but damn those seats feel like the most unsupportive things ever! Might be different when moving but felt like a park bench.

Sponsored

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
:lol:

Had a nose round an Edge while I was in the dealers. Very nice but damn those seats feel like the most unsupportive things ever! Might be different when moving but felt like a park bench.
It sure not a Mustang mate, is quite boring,

But have to be good for a couple years,

The way the mustang keeps getting price rises, I don't think I'll get one in a couple of years.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Totally removable but it's not a 5-minute job by any means. :doh:

As an aside, anyone know how the tech could differentiate between thrust bearing noise and input shaft noise? :shrug:
I would guess at thrust bearing noise changing when you apply pressure to the clutch pedal..... whereas input shaft stays the same...:)

Just a guess

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I would guess at thrust bearing noise changing when you apply pressure to the clutch pedal..... whereas input shaft stays the same...:)

Just a guess
This is correct.

Also thrust bearing, if you clutch in and slowly engage gear or hold it on engagement whilst keeping clutch depressed does the car creep forward or gently move forward for a moment?

Was a test done on my old Mustang which would of required thrust bearing or throw out bearing, cannot remember, not sure if they are both the same anyway, maybe Enoch can confirm. I just got used to it, car never put foot wrong 50,000 miles later with 600BHP. :D

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Just a guess
Noise disappears when clutch pedal is pressed. Which is why I thought thrust bearing.

As expected, hit the first hurdle today. Service guy enquired with warranty to be told 99% certain they'd refuse the claim due to mods.

As it's likely to be a box out job just to diagnose, it means I'd be 3 or 4 hundred quid deep before we even find out what the problem is. His advice was ro wait until the noise gets worse to make sure a diagnosis is possible then submit to warranty and go from there.

Methinks I could be in for a fight. :frusty:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
If you've not used a main dealer for servicing I assume you have kept records that show the independent dealer follows the manufacturer's service schedule and original parts?

Even if you think Ford do a rubbish job and are expensive (although what's a few hundred pounds when talking about a 40k car), for the sake of avoiding a warranty argument, not sure why people don't just take it to Ford? Also affects depreciation as when selling a performance car one of the first things people ask is has it got full dealer servicing, well on BMW M3s they do!

Anyway your money, your choice. Good luck.
Sponsored