OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION]

Fitted my GT350 snorkel in a quest to reduce IAT.

I say "fitted"...the quality of the PMAS airbox is an absolute fucking joke. :frusty: Whilst function is king over form, this thing looks like it's been finished by a monkey. A blindfolded monkey. With one hand.

The evidence:

This pic is taken from above, standing at the front of the car. As you can see, the leading edge of the airbox has a substantial bow in it.

What this means is that when the snorkel is securely attached to the airbox it no longer wants to line up with the grill intake properly (bit hard to make out here):

But even if it did line up with the grill, the hole in the PMAS airbox is so big there's an inch gap at one side anyway:

To be fair to PMAS, it wasn't designed with this extra mod in mind and it did add 9whp and +20lb-ft. That said, you can see for yourselves the quality of the "finished" edges. Just means sourcing some suitable material to accomodate the bow and huge gap on one side.

STILL haven't managed to sort out the issues with the SCT X4 either, so all in all not a happy bunny today.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics from a morning pootle a little while ago that I never got around to putting up:

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
The one I got from Gibbo had the snorkel cable tied to the box, can take a photo of it if required

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yeah I've seen it.

I went and found the post to doublecheck. If you compare his pics to mine, our airboxes are clearly not identical.

His sits more to the outside of the car and the front edge isn't bowed meaning the snorkel sits straight.

This is Gibbo's and mine is below:

Compare the outer edge of the airbox in comparison to where it sits in the car. You can see mine is already further in from the wing.

If you also compare Gibbo's pics from his own build thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41689&page=64

you can see he actually had to open up the hole in the PMAS airbox. Mine is already sat as far over as it can go and there's still at least an inch gap on one side of it.

As I said, the PMAS isn't designed with this mod in mind but as you can see, there is a HUGE variation between two of what should be an identical product.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Did PMAS make this airbox by getting a block oof plastic and getting their children to cut it with scissors?

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
STILL haven't managed to sort out the issues with the SCT X4 either, so all in all not a happy bunny today.
I managed to get a generic stock file to install via SCT...

I contacted them and they sent a file to try, and it worked:)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I managed to get a generic stock file to install via SCT...

I contacted them and they sent a file to try, and it worked:)
Interesting [MENTION=13920]Enoch[/MENTION].

I've sent them a couple of emails and STILL not heard anything so looks like I'll be making an expensive phone call...:doh:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Centurion

If you intend on sticking with the PMAS then I would cut the opening in the heat shield larger to better line up with the snorkel. I'd then drill some holes and use some cable ties to try a coax the two too line up together.

Yes its not smart or tidy, but no one can see and like you said the whole PMAS unit looks,like kids built it anyway.

But it is the only true intake on the market that makes more power without a tune. CAI's do not make power on these cars, the only way to make power on these cars is to fit a CAI with a larger maf ID tube with a huge filter, but of course that requires a computer tune or known as remap.

PMAS get around this with their "no tune" version as it still has the much larger and frankly huge 120mm maf ID but it comes with its own pre-calibrated maf sensor to trick your computers ECU and it works, fuelling stays within 1-2% and the power gain is very real.

But if you like looks then its one ugly sucker. If you wants looks and added performance you need to get a Roush CAI but of course remove the maf ID reducer so you get the larger 105mm maf ID which of course requires a re-tune. Or get the Shelby GT 350 CAI with 110mm maf ID and retune.

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'll have a proper play with it this weekend probably, in the hope that I can get the whole airbox another 1" or two towards the wing like yours. If I can do that then it will be a whole lot better as the issues are primarily down to that i.e. the snorkel doesn't line up with the hole in the airbox or the grill as it has to sit wonky.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I'll have a proper play with it this weekend probably, in the hope that I can get the whole airbox another 1" or two towards the wing like yours. If I can do that then it will be a whole lot better as the issues are primarily down to that i.e. the snorkel doesn't line up with the hole in the airbox or the grill as it has to sit wonky.
You will get it there, once its lined up better it will help IAT for sure and even improve flow as your force feeding the filter with air.

As said PMAS is function over form, hood down that intake makes these cars faster for sure.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I am joining your club of Oxford White. I look forward to the membership!!
Sponsored