overly sensitive brakes 2021 GT

zrx4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
randy
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Anybody else have this issue? Car has under 4000 miles and brakes have gotten grabby as hell. Wife and I constantly comment "why did you hit the brakes so hard" at each other LOL. Never had this issue on my previous 2018 GT. Been in to dealer twice now and they say its normal for a base GT. I've had 20 mustangs since 2000 and never had this issue. Any ideas why this is happening and what the dealer may be missing? Issue was not there when vehicle was new.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Base GT?

Or the Ecoboost described in your "Vehicles".

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Funny you mention this, my '22 has 1,500 miles, and it's very grabby. I just chalked it up to being accustomed to my other vehicle, which is nothing like a Mustang.

I'm not worried at all, just think it's a function of getting used to these brakes.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
on my 20 pp1 they are not grabby at all. feel very linear.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Anybody else have this issue? Car has under 4000 miles and brakes have gotten grabby as hell. Wife and I constantly comment "why did you hit the brakes so hard" at each other LOL. Never had this issue on my previous 2018 GT. Been in to dealer twice now and they say its normal for a base GT. I've had 20 mustangs since 2000 and never had this issue. Any ideas why this is happening and what the dealer may be missing? Issue was not there when vehicle was new.
Automatic or manual trans?

If it's the 10R80, it's the downshifting of the trans that may be making it feel like it's someone prematurely applying the brakes...

If it's the MT82, ignore the above statement.

OP
OP
zrx4me

zrx4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
randy
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
These are base GT brakes, not PP.

OP
OP
zrx4me

zrx4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
randy
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Automatic or manual trans?

If it's the 10R80, it's the downshifting of the trans that may be making it feel like it's someone prematurely applying the brakes...

If it's the MT82, ignore the above statement.
No, its not the A10. Its as soon as the brake pedal is touched. Not normal, My 2018 GT did not do this.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
On my 2019 GT, I would describe the brakes as more powerful, perhaps overboosted? compared to an average vehicle. The brakes are very linear so it's a matter of getting used to them, in my opinion. However, if the braking effect is not linear, then there could be a problem.

Sponsored

EdwardS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I also noticed this on my '22 and don't remember it on my '18. A10 here tho.

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Do you detect any signs of excess heat near the brake calipers after driving the car? Maybe one of the calipers is sticking. If so, you'll feel the heat from the caliper after you drive the car. If the caliper & rotor get hot enough while driving you'll see the rotor glowing red. That MIGHT result in the brakes grabbing. They'll definitely feel different.

If the calipers aren't sticking or the pads dragging then it can only be caused by excess brake fluid pressure at the calipers. I can't think of anything that would cause excess brake pressure at the calipers. If a hydraulic line is plugged it might prevent the fluid from returning to the master cylinder but you'd have signs of the caliper sticking. At least I think you would.

Not sure what would happen if the proportioning "valve" is sticking. It might force excess pressure to one of the braking circuits causing the grabbing sensation. But I think you'd probably experience very POOR braking performance instead. Really LONG stopping distances. More like you had no brakes than too much. The proportioning valve no longer exists as a separate component but is integrated into the ABS module. If the proportioning valve function is causing the problem I'd expect you to get an ABS warning light on the dash.

Only things I can think of.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
2021 base GT....same "issue" as I've posted about this last year. Again, as others have said, guess it's a good problem to have, but sometimes it's borderline embarrassing, as if I don't know how to drive and braking in panic or something

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It's the pads, get some Z26's. You will love the lack of dust and they only get grabby when cold and wet.

OP
OP
zrx4me

zrx4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
randy
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
It's the pads, get some Z26's. You will love the lack of dust and they only get grabby when cold and wet.
no dust on mine. You should have seen my ecoboost HPP with handling pack. wheels filthy in a week.
Sponsored