Sponsored

Outside odors inside the cabin

FastTR03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Hey guys,

Posting this to try and find a solution. I have a 2016 GT and a while back I took my car for AC repair and the dealer ended up changing the evaporator because it was leaking. A few days after getting the car back I noticed that when I would drive by and are with distinct odors(dump, area with sprinklers that smell like crap when they turn on, behind a diesel truck), I could smell it inside the cabin. At first I though that it was normal since its not a high end car but after talking to other owners, I realized it should not be as strong as I get them if any at all. I took the car back and they cleaned the air-box and changed the cabin air filter but that didn't fix the issue. The last time I took it in, the technician couldn't find anything so nothing got fixed. Every time I get an odor, I check the recirculate button to make sure its on.

At this point I know it has to be either a bad seal somewhere or faulty or broken recirculate door/blend door that was probably missed during the evap replacement since that's when it all started.

Any ideas as to where/what to look for? Haven't gotten a chance to look under the dash but want to see if anyone has dealt with this and if there is anything specific I should look for.
Sponsored

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
Just off the top of my head maybe a cabin air filter.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
At some point when I had my AC serviced (6 times!), the dealer "forgot" to put back in a cabin air filter. I recently discovered this as I went to "replace" mine. Needless to say, that pissed me off, and explained why I had problems with my allergies in the car.

OP
OP

FastTR03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Just off the top of my head maybe a cabin air filter.
At some point when I had my AC serviced (6 times!), the dealer "forgot" to put back in a cabin air filter. I recently discovered this as I went to "replace" mine. Needless to say, that pissed me off, and explained why I had problems with my allergies in the car.
Cabin air filter was replaced and I confirmed since I bought a carbon activated one to try and solve the problem

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Have you tried using the "recirc" setting which uses only inside air before you reach any obvious smelly areas?

Sponsored

OP
OP

FastTR03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Have you tried using the "recirc" setting which uses only inside air before you reach any obvious smelly areas?
Yes, Ive its on when I go through these areas. My drive to work takes me by the dump so I have tried everything.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Yes, Ive its on when I go through these areas. My drive to work takes me by the dump so I have tried everything.
I'm trying to figure out a similar issue. I get exhaust fumes inside the cabin at idle if my windows are down or the recirc button isn't pressed. Exhaust leak maybe?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Have you tried somehow verifying that the system is actually changing to recirc? Maybe the tech didn't get it back together correctly and the air inlet door isn't actually moving into the recirc position. The actuator appears to be behind the glove box and probably near the cabin air filter.

FYI Ford doesn't claim that the cabin air filter reduces odors.

Your vehicle is equipped with a cabin air
filter, which gives you and your passengers
the following benefits:
• It improves your driving comfort by
reducing particle concentration.
• It improves the interior compartment
cleanliness.
• It protects the climate control
components from particle deposits.​

OP
OP

FastTR03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
I'm trying to figure out a similar issue. I get exhaust fumes inside the cabin at idle if my windows are down or the recirc button isn't pressed. Exhaust leak maybe?
Wait... if your windows are down
Have you tried somehow verifying that the system is actually changing to recirc? Maybe the tech didn't get it back together correctly and the air inlet door isn't actually moving into the recirc position. The actuator appears to be behind the glove box and probably near the cabin air filter.

FYI Ford doesn't claim that the cabin air filter reduces odors.

Your vehicle is equipped with a cabin air
filter, which gives you and your passengers
the following benefits:
• It improves your driving comfort by
reducing particle concentration.
• It improves the interior compartment
cleanliness.
• It protects the climate control
components from particle deposits.​
I agree that it doesnt remove odors but the strength at which Im getting them inside the car is not normal. Ill have to take the glovebox out and see if I can find the actuator

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT