OPG

HadoDemi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Has anyone actually seen a stock one go out? I see a lot of people doing this but I’m wondering If it’s actually needed. Or is it just an abundance of caution from a single reported incident?
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The early Gen3 got the fluid balancer which should be a big improvement for the opg life. Early on in 2018 there were 2 reports of broken Gen3 opg with basically no supporting data or background info, so the circumstance and contributing factors could not be determined. I do know that certain aftermarket calibrations raised the soft rev limiter so it would hit the hard one first, which didn’t help things. My disclaimer is that I don’t Facebook so I’m not privy to that data pool.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
It was def more common on gen 1 coyotes. For the gen 2 and up, more people do install them. But there's also a lot of guys that don't. I think the danger is there, but there are also lots of other things to consider. I think I've seen more guys break pistons than anything. I didn't do OPG on neither my 2014 nor my 2020.

Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Same here, I didn't run them on my boosted 13, 14 and now my 19. I bought them and planned to install them until I rad some were having issues with tolerances with the gears and pump housing so I sold my gears after I installed my whipple.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I've always felt like OPG's are more of a solution looking for a problem than they are an actual concern (and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff so I did them). I also feel like I have seen more people have issues with aftermarket OPG's than I have failures of OEM.

OP
OP
HadoDemi

HadoDemi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
I've always felt like OPG's are more of a solution looking for a problem than they are an actual concern (and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff so I did them). I also feel like I have seen more people have issues with aftermarket OPG's than I have failures of OEM.
That’s what I’m starting to feel as well.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I did it for the same reason that everyone else does. Went with the hype & put them on my 14. A few other guys on the other forum at the time boosted around the same time. One of them did get the opg issue & had to rebuild so it gave me a small piece of mind. Also, for a car with only 22k mi at the time, my stock sproket was a little worn imo. Might be normal, idk. Either way the more I read on these cars the more Im leaning towards not doing them.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I personally haven't seen any Gen 3 failures however we installed the Boundary combo on our car as a precautionary measure. With how inexpensive they are now and the type of HP goals we had for our car it was a pretty easy decision for us to do them.

Feel free to reach out if there's anything we can help you with.
Sponsored