On3 single or ess g2

Daniel5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Been going back and forth on which kit to purchase. Car is 2017 gt. Mt82 with 3.31 gears. Corsa extreme. 2018 manifold. n2mb. Lu47s. And bmr diff bushings. Subframe alignment bushings and upr subframe lockout for the dss aluminum drive shaft. Car is my daily. Pros of the on 3 would be able to adjust boost on the fly. And efficient power. Cons are install is more difficult and time consuming. Ess pros simple install and lightweight. Cons have to swap pulley and belts for boost changes. Prices of both kits are practically the same without any added upgrades. Power levels are also similar again with no upgrades added. No real goals. Just wanna make good power and still be reliable. What kit would you choose and why. Only thing I would be doing for both kits is upgrades oil pump gear and crank sprockets. Possibly injectors or pump booster
Sponsored

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1, 401A, 6MT
the ess, quality-wise, is years ahead. on3 has some fitment issues from my understanding and unless youre good with fab/used to working with on3 kits.. itll be a struggle. i too had this same dilemma, decided centri was best bang-for-buck.

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How do you want the powered delivered? The G2 is going to be waaayyy easier to install and there is way less maintenance involved in that system. Buuuutt the G2 is can't make much over 800 wheel and the base On3 kit can make way more then that.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
having seen and still seeing someone struggle with an on3 single kit for the last 10 months or so Id say go ESS if it were me.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You want lag or not?

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Op im biased, but Whipple or pd/tvs for a manual all day. Especially If DD. Abundant part throttle/ low rpm tq makes the $$ you just spent enjoyable and present without having to firewall it. Car moves like its few hundred pounds lighter and effortlessly at all rpm pretty much right off idle.

If you can try getting a ride and maybe a drive in different setups.

I was hell bent on a centri initially for the value aspect. 6sp with 3.73, theoretically great combo for it. Glad it ended up a PD/tvs though. The tipin can be anything from stock to violent(in a good way) depending on what ur right foot is doing.

@Cory S iirc you came from centri. would you swap that tvs for a centri? Any downsides?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
@Cory S iirc you came from centri. would you swap that tvs for a centri? Any downsides?
The answer is 100% NO, I would not.

I’ve run Centris/turbos for 23 years. I’ll never go back.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Setting aside the typical turbo vs centri:

I'd only go big single if it's a mostly drag car.

ESS is light years simpler. The ON3 kits can be made to work if you're handy or you have access to a shop that can help you through it. At least with a big single you won't have to worry about relocating your PCM.

Unless you plan on making ridiculous power (like high 4 digit) the ESS seems like a no brainer given these two choices.

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
I'd go ESS and leave it alone.

Sponsored

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think the biggest selling point to me between those 2 kits is the weight of the ESS kit. The entire kit only adds like what 46lbs to the car. Imagine doing that and installing a Kmember and netting almost 0 weight.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I would love to do an ESS kit on my Mach 1 6-speed. I feel like that's a perfect setup to also keep it's road course manners and won't overheat like a PD would along with the extra weight up front.

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Twin Turbo
I have a '17 On3 TT setup, 3.31 final ratio, and mt82 transmission. Turbos are 62/66 precision w/ ball bearings, which I think is one of the upgrade options (not sure, PO installed the kit), I can't speak to install experiences, but I do know the guy who built my car had everything professionally installed even though he does do work on his cars. That decision could've been made for many reasons, of course.

In regards to driving experience: I don't daily my car, but if I did I don't know if I'd want to go with a single turbo. My car dynos at about 900whp/860wtq on e85, with the big swell in tq coming in between 3600rpms and 4800rpms. When that power ramps up, it is straight-up violent, and I imagine a single turbo would be even more severe. It's a ton of fun, but grip is nearly impossible to find in the the first four gears (I'm on 305/30R20 Conti Extreme Contact tires, will be replacing next Spring with something stickier). I had a procharged C5Z before this Mustang, and the power delivery of the supercharger seems like it would be better for daily driving applications. That said, my car drives like stock under about 3,500rpms, which is nice.

If I had to daily my mustang, I likely would've bought something built a little bit differently. For a fun car/brag about dyno results car/take to cars and coffee car, the twin turbo setup is a ton of fun, and I enjoy trying to wrestle my car into submission whilst spinning all the way to about 120mph.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Been going back and forth on which kit to purchase. Car is 2017 gt. Mt82 with 3.31 gears. Corsa extreme. 2018 manifold. n2mb. Lu47s. And bmr diff bushings. Subframe alignment bushings and upr subframe lockout for the dss aluminum drive shaft. Car is my daily. Pros of the on 3 would be able to adjust boost on the fly. And efficient power. Cons are install is more difficult and time consuming. Ess pros simple install and lightweight. Cons have to swap pulley and belts for boost changes. Prices of both kits are practically the same without any added upgrades. Power levels are also similar again with no upgrades added. No real goals. Just wanna make good power and still be reliable. What kit would you choose and why. Only thing I would be doing for both kits is upgrades oil pump gear and crank sprockets. Possibly injectors or pump booster
coyotes you can't go wrong with any kit

almost every single person, like every one of these threads will recommend whats on their car, people want to feel special and believe their choice is the perfect choic,

really comes down to budget, goals, driving style, and perhaps looks

the on3 are inexpensive for initial kits, if your installing yourself, not a bad deal, if your paying for an install, a more expensive kit, will save you install costs.. something to keep in mind

on the centri side, we love the vortech / paxton kits, best bang for the buck and a great proven setup, and the best deal for a centri, we also have procharger, whipple, roush, hellion, bl fab, etc..

we have experience installing them all and been doing power adders for over 10 years, we do more coyotes than anyone out there.
Sponsored