OMG why did they do this to my GT?

AG1031

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB PP
VA requires it, i just told them not to do it. Still dont have one. Im not putting one on till i get a "fix it" ticket, even then Ill use my Stow N Show
Sponsored

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
With all the excitement of the new car it hadn't occured to me yet. I bought the car in Texas while I was back home for Christmas. I live in Vegas and still have the dealer plates on and we don't have to our front plates on from what I understand. Nobody has em, and then it occurred to me, did they drill my bumper so they could put on this 5$ piece of crap license plate holder that is just holding a plastic advertising of the dealership? Not even a plate. It looks awful with the two holds and it's got frayed metal hanging out. They couldn't just wait, maybe the buyer wants to get a plate holder like the show n go?
What are my options? Will be calling the dealership in the morning.
I live in the Republic of California, the home of the first SMOG regs, and the demise of leaded high octane fuels. A dubious distinction at best. I also think we invented the mandotory front license plate.

First I asked my dealer if they "JackAssed" the front of their prized performance cars by drilling holes in the front bumper just so they could claim that they were following the law and at the same time putting on their cheesy $2.00 plate holder and not even giving me the chance for a reach around and discount for the free advertizing. I told them that as far as following the law, it was my problem...not theirs, after all they weren't going to put a top speed of 65 governor on the car to prevent me from speeding.They said they wouldn't! Once we got that out of the way, I ordered the car through them.

I did however remind the sales guy at least once a week during the 10 week waiting period for delivery, that if they did drill, that I'd never take possession of the car. In the end, they never drilled. :)

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yea you really got screwed because they dont come drilled in VA, the dealer drilled yours. All the stangs at Sheehy, my VA lot, have dimples. They drill the holes when they have a buyer.
This is how I understand it as well.

When I picked up my car, they dealer traded for one from a state that requires front license plates. Fortunately the dealer said the same thing--they don't drill them until they have an actual buyer.

I'm with OP, I think it looks terrible and I'd be pissed if they drilled my front bumper and it wasn't required.

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
Here in CA, the law requires a front license plate so my car came with the license plate holder installed and the holes drilled which I'm not too fond of. If I had ordered the car myself, I would have requested they leave the front bumper alone but I got lucky enough to find a local dealer who a black GTPP already on order with the exact options I wanted (fully loaded minus the Recaros and 50th Year Appearance Package). So, I put down a small deposit to hold the car upon it's arrival and it showed up a week or two later.

I'm thinking of replacing the stock license plate holder with a pair of those bumper plugs and a Sto N Sho license plate bracket. However, sometimes I see people who simply put the front license plate on the passenger side of the dash inside the vehicle so it shows through the front windshield. Does anyone know if this is enough to skirt by the law or must I have the license plate mounted to the front somewhere? I already have limo tint all the way around so I'd rather not give the fuzz yet another reason to pester me.

Sponsored

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
Here in CA, the law requires a front license plate so my car came with the license plate holder installed and the holes drilled which I'm not too fond of. If I had ordered the car myself, I would have requested they leave the front bumper alone but I got lucky enough to find a local dealer who a black GTPP already on order with the exact options I wanted (fully loaded minus the Recaros and 50th Year Appearance Package). So, I put down a small deposit to hold the car upon it's arrival and it showed up a week or two later.

I'm thinking of replacing the stock license plate holder with a pair of those bumper plugs and a Sto N Sho license plate bracket. However, sometimes I see people who simply put the front license plate on the passenger side of the dash inside the vehicle so it shows through the front windshield. Does anyone know if this is enough to skirt by the law or must I have the license plate mounted to the front somewhere? I already have limo tint all the way around so I'd rather not give the fuzz yet another reason to pester me.
Front plate on the dash is a sure way to get hassled, classic ricer/street racer move. I did it when I was more of a rebel, and the car also had an engine twice the size of the original, no catalytic converter, modified suspension, various saftey hazards in general, no interior, etc. These days when I see some youngin with a front plate on the dash, its fairly obvious that the rest of his car is less than legal as well, right on par with my scenario as a youngin.

I'm sad to read that it seems like it's nearly impossible to get a new car in ca without having the front bumper drilled unless you know a friend who works at the dealer. I was going to mount the front plate lower using a show and sto or whatever.

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1957 Chevy BelAir
VA requires it, i just told them not to do it. Still dont have one. Im not putting one on till i get a "fix it" ticket, even then Ill use my Stow N Show
I'm also in VA and will make/demand the same request for the dealer 'NOT' to drill the holes. I'll already have the Stow & Show holder before the car arrives.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With all the excitement of the new car it hadn't occured to me yet. I bought the car in Texas while I was back home for Christmas. I live in Vegas and still have the dealer plates on and we don't have to our front plates on from what I understand. Nobody has em,
What you need to do first is find out for sure what Nevada's plate requirements are. What "nobody else" has may not mean a thing.

and then it occurred to me, did they drill my bumper so they could put on this 5$ piece of crap license plate holder that is just holding a plastic advertising of the dealership? Not even a plate. It looks awful with the two holds and it's got frayed metal hanging out. They couldn't just wait, maybe the buyer wants to get a plate holder like the show n go?
What are my options? Will be calling the dealership in the morning.
Is there any reason you couldn't pull the dealer's plate holder off and put something nicer in its place? I'm assuming that NV requires a front plate and being in NJ I don't have any inclination to look it up.

Another option might be a custom plate that fits you individually, your new car, or something else in your life.

Honestly, I fail to understand those who don't want to run a front plate where it is required. There are advantages in not looking too different to those people who might take official interest in what you've done to your car. Personally, I'd rather have the time to get where I'm going and the $ for things like tires, brake pads, and track day entry fees.

Norm

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
When I ordered, I told the dealer no drilling. A plate holder is required in NH and I will install the STO N SHO. They said that would be fine and would put the inspection sticker on after I install it. I will remind them again when the times comes near.

Jules

Proud Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jules
Vehicle(s)
1970 240Z, 2015 Mustang GT prem., auto., Race Red
Sales guy was very cooperative and made sure the only drilling done was on the underside to install the Sto N Sho - which the dealership did as part of the prep.

Sponsored

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Am I the only one that doesn't like the look of the Sto N Sho? I'm in california so I don't ever plan on removing my plate, and I think the stock position looks more natural. Plan on letting my dealer drill it.

K-Loader

Dan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT/PP/10A Crimson
I was a drill victim. After repeatedly reminding my dealership to not drill my bumper when the car arrived. The irony was I was sitting at the dealership with my Sto-N-Show in my hands asking if they wouldn't mind putting it on the car for me during the PDI. The salesman walked into the garage where the PDI was ongoing to ask the question and came back with his head down.

They did compensate me $$$, and I plan to buy plugs when they are available in my color.

I did hear that they just received an LE Auto in WW, and because of their experience with me they didn't drill the bumper:clap2:

Markbnh1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape & 2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
When I ordered, I told the dealer no drilling. A plate holder is required in NH and I will install the STO N SHO. They said that would be fine and would put the inspection sticker on after I install it. I will remind them again when the times comes near.
Hey neighbor! What dealer did you use? I'm waiting on mine through Portsmouth Ford. I talked to Auto Fair in Manchester about an LE they were waiting for but other folk were already in line.

OP
OP

Degen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
the Law says if the dealer did not provide a front holder, you Don't have to have a front plate. Pretty laxed law here on Vegas, would say 80% don't.

Last edited:

15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I took my dealer installed holder off and bought color matched plugs for the holes. Then I bought Craig's no drill bracket and it looks a lot better and is easily removeable.
Sponsored