Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Here in CA, the law requires a front license plate so my car came with the license plate holder installed and the holes drilled which I'm not too fond of. If I had ordered the car myself, I would have requested they leave the front bumper alone but I got lucky enough to find a local dealer who a black GTPP already on order with the exact options I wanted (fully loaded minus the Recaros and 50th Year Appearance Package). So, I put down a small deposit to hold the car upon it's arrival and it showed up a week or two later.

I'm thinking of replacing the stock license plate holder with a pair of those bumper plugs and a Sto N Sho license plate bracket. However, sometimes I see people who simply put the front license plate on the passenger side of the dash inside the vehicle so it shows through the front windshield. Does anyone know if this is enough to skirt by the law or must I have the license plate mounted to the front somewhere? I already have limo tint all the way around so I'd rather not give the fuzz yet another reason to pester me.
Yeah it has to be mounted at front of vehicle, dash doesnt fly. When I bought mine, there was zero issue about the dealer not installing it, when I told em leave it off. They put it in the trunk and reminded me it was required to have the front plate installed when the plates show up. Id just argue with em that plates are required by law, not the mounts. A new car with no plates equals nothing mounted. Of course if they zipped em on prior to buy, your SOL.
Sponsored

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I owned my 2013 Mustang GT for 2 years in Vegas without a front plate.
When I ordered I requested that there be no drilling for the plate on the front bumper.
I got to know the sales person and they understood I was a car enthusiast and this was very important to me.

I reminded them over and over just to make sure they did not drill as every Stang in their inventory was already drilled.

the dealer was great and made sure to honor this request. No drilling occurred.

A front plate is not required in Nevada if there is no bracket to mount one on the bumper.

never had one issue without the front plate.

elfiero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium, 401A, silver, ebony, A/T
Am I the only one that doesn't like the look of the Sto N Sho? I'm in california so I don't ever plan on removing my plate, and I think the stock position looks more natural. Plan on letting my dealer drill it.
NO! frankie say: relax, don't do it! Do this instead:
http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/
I bought one of these and will install it if the plates EVER show up. When you get tired of it and sell it, the car WILL be worth more.

OP
OP

Degen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Trying to go up the chain of command. There's Magnetic license plate holders for less than $20 and obviously a dealership could mass order for less. My Mustang is a GT Premium with 20s, I just wish this dealership had some common sense to not permanently damage the cars they are selling for $30k+. Sticker on the car was 39k. Everyone is saying the plugs are not a perfect fix. What about the gloss protective coating? They didnt even sand off the shreded part of the bumper so the frayed material is hanging out the holes. This is in addition to my insanely loud squeaky brakes which they don't know how to fix. Trying to find the squeaky brakes thread again.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hey neighbor! What dealer did you use? I'm waiting on mine through Portsmouth Ford. I talked to Auto Fair in Manchester about an LE they were waiting for but other folk were already in line.
I ordered through McFarland in Exeter. They gave me a good price. We think alike - I currently drive a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL.

Sponsored

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
NO! frankie say: relax, don't do it! Do this instead:
http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product/2015-mustang-bracket/
I bought one of these and will install it if the plates EVER show up. When you get tired of it and sell it, the car WILL be worth more.
Hmm, thats interesting. I think I'll still let them drill it. Like I said, I'm in California so I would probably be arrested and deported for not having a front plate, so I have no intention of ever taking it off.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
stow and go if I ever get a ticket, 6 extra bolts not needed.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
What you need to do first is find out for sure what Nevada's plate requirements are. What "nobody else" has may not mean a thing.

Is there any reason you couldn't pull the dealer's plate holder off and put something nicer in its place? I'm assuming that NV requires a front plate and being in NJ I don't have any inclination to look it up.

Another option might be a custom plate that fits you individually, your new car, or something else in your life.

Honestly, I fail to understand those who don't want to run a front plate where it is required. There are advantages in not looking too different to those people who might take official interest in what you've done to your car. Personally, I'd rather have the time to get where I'm going and the $ for things like tires, brake pads, and track day entry fees.

Norm
This. I really can't understand why you people are making such a big deal on not having the dealer put on a license plate holder to have a front license plate, when it is, in fact, required by law where you live. I don't have a problem with having a front plate on and ill let the dealer put on their holder or whatever because its required here. To me its something so unbelievably small i can't imagine why people make such a huge deal on not having a front plate. I have other things for the new car to worry about, like financing and what not, then having the dealer put on a plate holder for the front plate, WHICH IS REQUIRED BY LAW.

DoCtA.FlAkE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB w/ PP and Premier Trim
I'm not having my bumper drilled. I've never gotten a ticket for not having a front license plate.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This is in addition to my insanely loud squeaky brakes which they don't know how to fix. Trying to find the squeaky brakes thread again.
Have you tried any brake bedding procedure yet?

Norm

Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Wow. The USA is such a unique country for laws! It must be well confusing remembering there are different laws in force when you cross from one state to another! Or do you just get used to it?
At least in the UK we know we have to have an UGLY front plate on no matter where we live!

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
I live in California. I have 3 cars and a truck. NONE of them have front plates. I have never, not once, in all my yearrrrrrrs of driving been cited for it. If I were to buy a Mustang off the lot the only way I would make the deal is if the fixed the holes or switched bumpers with an incoming car...

JASON@ANCHOR-ROOM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ANCHOR-ROOM.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
We live in VA (a front plate state). We instructed dealer not to drill (or anything for that matter). We took delivery of the car - they follow our wishes a delivered the car without holes, didn't even wash or remove any plastics. Perfect - just the way we wanted it. Kudos to Cavalier Ford in Chesapeake VA.

Anchor-Room.com

JASON@ANCHOR-ROOM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ANCHOR-ROOM.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
This. I really can't understand why you people are making such a big deal on not having the dealer put on a license plate holder to have a front license plate, when it is, in fact, required by law where you live. I don't have a problem with having a front plate on and ill let the dealer put on their holder or whatever because its required here. To me its something so unbelievably small i can't imagine why people make such a huge deal on not having a front plate. I have other things for the new car to worry about, like financing and what not, then having the dealer put on a plate holder for the front plate, WHICH IS REQUIRED BY LAW.

I think we all agree that the car looks cleaner without a front plate. Many of us should at least have the option to decide if we want a front plate - law or not.

Speeding is also against the law.

Anchor-Room.com

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
This. I really can't understand why you people are making such a big deal
Because it looks like garbage on that beautiful front end.

Even if one was to put a high end frame. I know cars here in California require it by law but nothing gets my goad more then seeing something like a beautiful $40,000 mustang with a .50 cent license plate frame drilled on the front of the car. YIKES!

Magazines, advertisements, youtube car comparisons, car shows you name it the vast majority do not have front plates. But, you will notice, many DO have legal rear plates.
WHICH IS REQUIRED BY LAW.
There are all sorts of STUPID laws, including, but not limited to, cheating on your taxes even thou the career politicians spend the money like a drunken sailor...
Sponsored