OMG why did they do this to my GT?

OP
OP

Degen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Have you tried any brake bedding procedure yet?

Norm
No. But people who have the same problem have and it hasn't helped. There's a long thread about it on this forum and other Mustang Forums. Supposedly Ford has known of the problem and will have a resolution in the coming weeks. It's on the 15 GT and Ecoboost PP which both have the same brakes.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Because it looks like garbage on that beautiful front end.
To be perfectly honest, I rarely notice the front plate on any of our cars unless the cars are getting washed. The plate and any bracket do get in the way a little, and out of spite I don't often wash those bits, front or rear. When I'm driving I don't see them anyway, and if I'm close enough to you at the track to be passing you, you won't see it either.

Even if one was to put a high end frame. I know cars here in California require it by law but nothing gets my goad more then seeing something like a beautiful $40,000 mustang with a .50 cent license plate frame drilled on the front of the car. YIKES!
I would think that the best treatment for a plate frame would be to make it as unremarkable and unnoticeable as possible. Hidden completely behind a standard-size U.S. plate sounds like a start.

Magazines, advertisements, youtube car comparisons, car shows you name it the vast majority do not have front plates. But, you will notice, many DO have legal rear plates.
I actually went to the Ford.com site to see if I could find a picture of this bracket that so many people hate, and of course I couldn't find one. Not even one with a plate that only read "2015" or "MUSTANG", and I know I've seen similar treatments before.

Personally, I'd be ashamed of myself if I let the appeal to "conventional" vanity involved here suck me in as a blind follower.

Norm

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1957 Chevy BelAir
Wow. The USA is such a unique country for laws! It must be well confusing remembering there are different laws in force when you cross from one state to another! Or do you just get used to it?
At least in the UK we know we have to have an UGLY front plate on no matter where we live!
For the most part, I don't pay any attention to different state laws. I just drive where ever I have to and as long as I don't speed (which I rarely do) I've never had any problems in different states.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Because it looks like garbage on that beautiful front end.

Even if one was to put a high end frame. I know cars here in California require it by law but nothing gets my goad more then seeing something like a beautiful $40,000 mustang with a .50 cent license plate frame drilled on the front of the car. YIKES!

Magazines, advertisements, youtube car comparisons, car shows you name it the vast majority do not have front plates. But, you will notice, many DO have legal rear plates.

There are all sorts of STUPID laws, including, but not limited to, cheating on your taxes even thou the career politicians spend the money like a drunken sailor...
I think it looks like garbage in the front period. Personally, I don't think it looks any better on the fender or below. And for the argument about law. Consider yourself LUCKY! Sh!t don't fly around here unless you are a related to the man, if you know what I mean. I think the whole front plate argument is petty, but that's just me. I said it once and I'll say it again. If you don't like where my plate is, stay right there and I will brand you with it.

MSamuels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Mustang
My dealer was told not to drill the bumper, reminded him about 5 times during the wait, and he came through. No front bracket, which I think is a frickin travesty where they place it. Drilled right into the fat part of the front bumper.

Sponsored

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This. I really can't understand why you people are making such a big deal on not having the dealer put on a license plate holder to have a front license plate, when it is, in fact, required by law where you live. I don't have a problem with having a front plate on and ill let the dealer put on their holder or whatever because its required here. To me its something so unbelievably small i can't imagine why people make such a huge deal on not having a front plate. I have other things for the new car to worry about, like financing and what not, then having the dealer put on a plate holder for the front plate, WHICH IS REQUIRED BY LAW.
1. It's not required by law in my state.
2. They are literally drilling holes into my 38k car. Since it's not required, I don't even have a plate to put up there. I'd have to plug the holes.
3. Even though there are dissenters, MOST people will agree that it's ugly and makes the front of the car look worse. The "vanity" claim is ridiculous. These ARE beautiful looking cars, and most people want to maintain that.

My car was through a dealer trade with a state that does require them, and having them drilled was a deal breaker. Your miles may vary.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The "vanity" claim is ridiculous.
If you've got a better single word that describes unhappiness over a perceived flaw in appearance, but which is not technically or mechanically wrong, I'd like to hear it.

Until then, discontent with a minor aspect of actual appearance because it doesn't match the advertising image is a matter of vanity. Yeah, that word probably does make people squirm a bit if it hits home.

Norm

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
If you've got a better single word that describes unhappiness over a perceived flaw in appearance, but which is not technically or mechanically wrong, I'd like to hear it.

Until then, discontent with a minor aspect of actual appearance because it doesn't match the advertising image is a matter of vanity. Yeah, that word probably does make people squirm a bit if it hits home.

Norm
Not wanting holes drilled in a car for literally zero purpose just doesn't fit the definition of vanity. I don't get your idea of it must be technically or mechanically wrong to not be "vanity". I could drill holes all over your car and there's still nothing wrong with it. Would you like that? Probably not.

Not wanting unnecessary holes drilled in the body of your car isn't vanity, sorry.

OP
OP

Degen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT

Norm
I want the car as advertised in pictures on their website, in magazines and how it is sent from the factory intact. I will post pictures tonight. It's only the front end of the car, nobody ever sees that side right? How come their ads don't have these cheap license plate holders on them? Or at least a couple holes drilled in?

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
To be perfectly honest, I rarely notice the front plate on any of our cars unless the cars are getting washed.
No harm, no foul, no problem.

I do... no harm, no foul, no problem. Much in the way I notice and admire certain features about a woman that you may not.
I would think that the best treatment for a plate frame would be to make it as unremarkable and unnoticeable as possible.
Agreed.

Which is why I don't want it there in the first place. Even if it's 24k solid gold. Much less, a .50 cent piece of plastic that they drill two holes in your $40,000 automobile.

In the same way I wouldn't take a .50 cent ford sticker and thumb tack it into my dash.
I actually went to the Ford.com site to see if I could find a picture of this bracket that so many people hate, and of course I couldn't find one. Not even one with a plate that only read "2015" or "MUSTANG", and I know I've seen similar treatments before.
Oh course not. Because they are hideous and it detracts from the car. In... MHO opinion, of course. And, obviously, the opinion of every single car manufacture out there.

Look at the new GT350R. Don't see ANY plate frame on the front with a faux "Ford" license plate. And you would NEVER see them with the incredibly cheap .50 piece of puke that dealers drill into the beautiful just painted bumpers of said cars/GT350R.
Personally, I'd be ashamed of myself if I let the appeal to "conventional" vanity involved here suck me in as a blind follower.
LOL!

I bow down to you being such a perfect human being...

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not wanting holes drilled in a car for literally zero purpose just doesn't fit the definition of vanity. I don't get your idea of it must be technically or mechanically wrong to not be "vanity". I could drill holes all over your car and there's still nothing wrong with it. Would you like that? Probably not.

Not wanting unnecessary holes drilled in the body of your car isn't vanity, sorry.
For those who live in a state that does not require a front plate - for whatever reason/exception - I certainly agree that having plate frame holes drilled would serve no purpose whatsoever. Under those circumstances, I wouldn't have holes drilled either (though I'm sure I'd leave the little dimples as is).

Vanity is when you choose to cater to your appearance sensibilities in spite of contradictory legal or technical reasons, and this does fit the situation where no front plate is present on a car registered in a state where it is required. I can think of several other examples of this sort of vanity as well, but they'd be too far off topic here.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Which is why I don't want it there in the first place. Even if it's 24k solid gold. Much less, a .50 cent piece of plastic that they drill two holes in your $40,000 automobile.
Like I said above, no frame or holes to mount it is fine if your state does not require it.

Oh course not. Because they are hideous and it detracts from the car. In... MHO opinion, of course. And, obviously, the opinion of every single car manufacture out there.

Look at the new GT350R. Don't see ANY plate frame on the front with a faux "Ford" license plate. And you would NEVER see them with the incredibly cheap .50 piece of puke that dealers drill into the beautiful just painted bumpers of said cars/GT350R.
I guess that makes Ford and all the rest co-conspirators or at least complicit in the decisions of several people here (and many more elsewhere).

A smart dealer might do well to consider offering something a little nicer, or at least less noticeable, as a perk or maybe an at-cost dealer option.

LOL!

I bow down to you being such a perfect human being...
Perfect? Not hardly. But I am willing to think things through and come to my own conclusions independent of such outside influences as peer pressure and advertising. Been something of a nonconformist all my life. Marketing gurus probably hate people like me.

If it matters any, I have relocated the required front plates on at least two of the cars I've owned in order to encourage a little more airflow to go through the radiator.

Norm

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
This thread is too funny.

Don't like the front plate drilled?
What about the back plate?
What about the 5.0 badge?
How about the pony(ies)?
If we had our wish we'd get the car shipped in a box and put it together ourselves - Ikea style.

What really gives me a chuckle are the people who tell the dealer they will "refuse delivery" if the plate is screwed in, or even if a dealer sticker is put on. On average, these cars are selling off the lot in about 1 week. The dealer will sell your car sooner than you'd get one from somewhere else.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
This thread is too funny.

If we had our wish we'd get the car shipped in a box and put it together ourselves - Ikea style.
MagneticA,
You say that like it is a bad thing! ;)
With my admitted OCD tendencies, I own my penchant for making details fit my likes where possible. :)
My 2¢ on these things that do not seriously impact my or other's lives...

Front Plate: Prefer not to have one for aesthetics and sans plate might save me from 1-2 accidental trippings of red light cameras in the 10+ years I drive the car. Laws can range from rediculous to sacrosanct (like stay on your side of the road :)). Some like myself feel the front plate law is closer to the former than the latter, being more for ease of enforcement than directly related to safety.

Pony on trunk: I admit I'd prefer the EB Pony to the V6's '2 bars' Pony.

These days we are accustomed to having lots of choices. Gone are the days of Henry Ford saying "You can have the Model T in any color you want, as long as it is black!"

My inner Buddha does smile at my attachment to such silly things, but I accept these small misdemeanors in my character ;) as I seek growth in 'mo' important areas.

May we all be willing to lighten up (especially us w/ detailitis) and enjoy our beautiful, fun new Mustangs! :cheers:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
1. It's not required by law in my state.
2. They are literally drilling holes into my 38k car. Since it's not required, I don't even have a plate to put up there. I'd have to plug the holes.
3. Even though there are dissenters, MOST people will agree that it's ugly and makes the front of the car look worse. The "vanity" claim is ridiculous. These ARE beautiful looking cars, and most people want to maintain that.

My car was through a dealer trade with a state that does require them, and having them drilled was a deal breaker. Your miles may vary.
I can see your point #1 but I have been driving for 25yrs and every single car that I have driven, either owned borrowed or rented, has had the plastic license plate holder on the front of it. I do not even notice it anymore. This is a mountain out of a molehill, first world problem. But again, your mileage may vary.

Chris.
Sponsored