Sponsored

Old battery causing voltage issues ?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Built, Odin 979 HP, 2019 GT350 Stock
Im having an issue with the cooling fans not coming on while the vehicle comes up to temp.

I am getting codes for
Fan 1 Control Circuit P0480
Fan 2 Control Circuit P0481

I have replaced both relays. I have tested the fan (it works) I have probed the fusebox and it will kick the fans on when power probed...
I watched a video a while ago stating how a older / bad battery could cause voltage issues that are slight enough that it will cause circuit issues.

I also tried to kick the AC on to fire the fans but they still wont come on.

We swapped the Hellion Sleeper kit out for a VMP Odin setup, those were the only changes that were made. I even stuffed the old TT tune in the car to see if it was in the tune.

Im going to order a new batter for it and see it that may be the issue, I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why the fans wont kick.

Im going to have to fix this before i take the car to get tuned. Until then im just going to keep tracking wires and looking for bent pins.

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yzingerslinger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Also checked all body grounds as well. Tracked all factory grounds, everything was cleaned and prepped and reattached to the ground location.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Is it original battery? You didn't state how old, or what type of battery. And what are your voltage readings when driving? But in these cars, weak/dying batteries cause all sorts of crazy issues.

OP
OP
Yzingerslinger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Is it original battery? You didn't state how old, or what type of battery. And what are your voltage readings when driving? But in these cars, weak/dying batteries cause all sorts of crazy issues.
It it the factory battery from 2017. The resting voltage with the car off is around 12V the voltage while idling is about 12.7.

From what I have read and seen that a bad / weak battery will cause some very odd electronic issues. I am curious if anyone else has ever tracked down these similar issues, I have never seen anything like this.

My background is from the terminator world, most of those issues are from grounds.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
So, the original 3yr, 390 CCA battery, has lasted 5 years, and you're wondering if your battery is old? My battery just died last week. Now, it did sit at the dealer's showroom unsold for 21 months, and the battery was dead when I first looked at it. So I didn't expect it to last past 3 yrs, even though I continuously had it on a battery tender. But just before it died, it was slow to start twice, and the voltage reading while driving was in the 12V range. And then later that day it died. It was just that quick.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yzingerslinger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So, the original 3yr, 390 CCA battery, has lasted 5 years, and you're wondering if your battery is old? My battery just died last week. Now, it did sit at the dealer's showroom unsold for 21 months, and the battery was dead when I first looked at it. So I didn't expect it to last past 3 yrs, even though I continuously had it on a battery tender. But just before it died, it was slow to start twice, and the voltage reading while driving was in the 12V range. And then later that day it died. It was just that quick.
It sounds like I need to replace the battery. I have heard a few stories of voltage issues plaguing these cars, I just didnt know if anyone else had dealt with this same issue.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Btw, if you choose to replace with the OE battery, they are now 470 CCA vs the original 390 CCA. Some people use the larger battery that is in the Mustang GT's, which does fit, and is rated at 590 CCA. But I went with the OE as I didn't feel I needed the higher CCA as the car is only driven in warmer weather. No cold weather starts.

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ā€˜19 GT350
While not a Mustang; when my 6.7 Cummins needed batteries, the first time both worked great one day, next morning not even a click. 2yrs, 360 days later, my next set went bad with entirely different symptoms.

Spent three days chasing DTCā€™s that were telling me I had problems with my injection pump, bad rail pressure, bad fuel pump, ECM/PCM failingā€¦ batteries cranked engine like normal until the third day when they finally ran outta juice.

So, my lessons learned are that A: batteries are fickle friends and B: if my truck even hiccups in June 2024, Iā€™ll be at AutoZone asking for warranty replacements.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
My factory battery lasted just over a year. For all the things Ford did right, they really put garbage batteries in our cars.

After reading all the other failures, I did not warranty it, I just splurged for a good battery. Anyone that has ever had to trouble shoot electrical gremlins knows that you MUST have a good battery.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
My factory battery lasted just over a year. For all the things Ford did right, they really put garbage batteries in our cars.

After reading all the other failures, I did not warranty it, I just splurged for a good battery. Anyone that has ever had to trouble shoot electrical gremlins knows that you MUST have a good battery.
My 2016 GT350 still has the original battery. 6 years old now and still works fine. I keep it on a trickle charger all the time.
My ā€˜09 GT500KR battery lasted 11 years before it was replaced. Keep them charged and they last a long time.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My 2016 GT350 still has the original battery. 6 years old now and still works fine. I keep it on a trickle charger all the time.
My ā€˜09 GT500KR battery lasted 11 years before it was replaced. Keep them charged and they last a long time.
Same. Original battery in my ā€˜17. Should you ā€œhave toā€ care for them that well? Meh, IDK, separate debate. But if you do, theyā€™ll last. But I will admit I know mine wouldnā€™t last without the TLC. Had mine off the trickle for a couple weeks one time for whatever reason, and she was very lazy to start that first time.

Iā€™ve got a ā€˜02 F150 I bought brand new. Itā€™s not a daily driver either, so she sits on a trickle too. Battery in that thing is at least 15 years old. I forgot when I put that thing in there.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I went a week without driving my GT350 once and got the messages of a run down battery. I know, first world problems.
Bought a charger just to give it a boost and have not had a problem since. That said, after almost two years of ownership, my car sat for a while before I bought it as ā€œnew, old stockā€, Iā€™m replacing with an upgrade this summer.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Sounds like you cracked the code! I've never used a trickle charger, I always thought that was more for cold weather, and long term storage situations.

That said... I shouldn't have to put a trickle charger on a brand new car's battery when it is used every day. Perhaps I got a defective unit, who knows.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@datadatum I tend to agree there shouldnā€™t be a ā€œneedā€ ona daily driver for sure. But yeah, maintainers are not solely for cold or long term. My garage toys get plugged in if they sit for a day or a month. (OK, maybe not every day, literaly, but yes plugged in if going to sit for a week or so). They can only help. The technology on these things will never be detrimental to a battery no matter how frequently used. You physically cannot over use one in any scenario.

@460Fred Thereā€™s a part of me that secretly wishes mine would just go ahead and kick the bucket so I can do the AntiGravity, LOL.

65straight6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
09 Ram 6.7l 3500 4x4, 55 Studebaker P/U, ā€˜19 GT350
It it the factory battery from 2017. The resting voltage with the car off is around 12V the voltage while idling is about 12.7.

From what I have read and seen that a bad / weak battery will cause some very odd electronic issues. I am curious if anyone else has ever tracked down these similar issues, I have never seen anything like this.

My background is from the terminator world, most of those issues are from grounds.
Finally got around to looking; my battery is 14.3v at start up but i did not check the year of mfg, (probably 2019 like car).
Sponsored