Oil Separator / Catch Cans

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Don't most oval tracks turn in the counter clockwise? Maybe pushes the oil to the pass side?
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
CARB, government retards at their finest.

If a catch can doesn't comply with CARB it's truly consistent with letting the gubment run anything. It's better for emissions to capture the oil than burn it through the intake. I guess they figure people will dump it out improperly.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
You can put one on your GT350 - parts from FP run about $700 and install will take a while, but it's doable.
Interesting. Do you know what about the design that makes it non-serviceable? Like where does the oil go?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R

If a catch can doesn't comply with CARB it's truly consistent with letting the gubment run anything. It's better for emissions to capture the oil than burn it through the intake. I guess they figure people will dump it out improperly.
To be fair if cars did have catch cans there would be alot of oil pollution, like people can't even take out the trash or recycle properly. Add oil into the mix and its not a good look.

Too many idiots out there so the government has to baby people, its why there are so many warnings labels on stuff.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

If it wasn’t for the California Air Resource Board, the air in most of California would be so polluted that it would be deadly
I remember living in LA back in the early eighties when the pollution was so bad that you couldn’t even see the nearby mountains
Do you really think that the progress that have been made would have been possible without Carb ?

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Intended for off road use just means it’s not compatible with certain air resources boards like CARB, California Air Resources Board regulations. It’s an emissions thing.
Living in California, I had to have my passenger side catch can shipped to a relative in Wyoming who in return shipped it to me.
Funny thing is the GT500 comes standard with the passenger side catch can, even in California.
Stupid politicians.
So when I have to get smog, I have to remove mine? My dealership ordered the catch can for me no issues!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Interesting. Do you know what about the design that makes it non-serviceable? Like where does the oil go?
The GT500 separator has a drain that dumps the oil it collects collects back into the engine. Catch cans collect oil droplets from air that's moving around the engine, so it's just oil, not some special kind of toxic blend that has to be drained separately.

The oil separators are part of the crankcase ventilation system.

On the driver's side, air goes through the air filter and the MAF sensor, and is ducted into the driver's side cam cover through the driver's side oil separator. Since most of the air is going into the engine, very little oil ever comes out unless something big happens, like a high-G right hand corner that pools oil up into the cylinder head, or high blowby that pushes air backwards through the intake side vent system. The driver's side catch can has nothing to do until things get violent, and in most cars, even then, it's got nothing to do. My car is like that - I can pull all the revs I want and all the G's I want and the can stays dry.

The passenger side connection is different. Air (that was measured by the MAF and cleaned by the air filter on the way in) with oil droplets in it is pulled out of the cam cover through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold ALL THE TIME. What the pax side catch-can does is separate the entrained oil droplets from the air headed into the manifold.

That's why everyone who installs two catch-cans wonders why they bothered with the driver's side one and talks at length about draining the pax side unit. Two different jobs, two different experiences.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The GT500 separator has a drain that dumps the oil it collects collects back into the engine. Catch cans collect oil droplets from air that's moving around the engine, so it's just oil, not some special kind of toxic blend that has to be drained separately.

On the driver's side, air goes through the air filter and the MAF sensor, and is ducted into the driver's side cam cover through the driver's side oil separator. Since most of the air is going into the engine, very little oil ever comes out unless something big happens, like a high-G right hand corner that pools oil up into the cylinder head, or high blowby that pushes air backwards through the intake side vent system. The driver's side catch can has nothing to do until things get violent, and in most cars, even then, it's got nothing to do. My car is like that - I can pull all the revs I want and all the G's I want and the can stays dry.

The passenger side connection is different. Air (that was measured by the MAF and cleaned by the air filter on the way in) with oil droplets in it is pulled out of the cam cover through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold ALL THE TIME. What the pax side catch-can does is separate the entrained oil droplets from the air headed into the manifold.

That's why everyone who installs two catch-cans wonders why they bothered with the driver's side one and talks at length about draining the pax side unit. Two different jobs, two different experiences.
I don’t think that some cars puke from the driver side and some don’t..
It’s all based on sustained high rpms combined with high lateral loading.
Either you reach those critical parameters or you don’t

OP
OP
HEP#15

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Thanks for all the great information........all makes sense.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350

You got most things right. But I'll just elaborate.

The PCV valve on the passenger side is not allowing air into the manifold all the time. If you see the inside of a PCV valve, it will shut with high vacuum, and shut with no vacuum. In all other conditions it will be open but varying with manifold vacuum. When it is open all the crank case air will come out of this side, as it has a vacuum pulling on it.

When it is shut in no vacuum ie WOT, or high vacuum, the drivers side reverses and becomes a vent, as their is no vacuum pulling into the crankcase anymore from the passenger side. If you have a good amount of blowby, this is where the oil will collect at WOT.

Blowby is the most under high load, so it actually makes sense to one of the replies who said he noticed it with slicks. In my head, slicks will put increase cylinder pressure and therefore create more blowby. But it could be related to the rings allowing more blowby due to engine age etc also.
Sponsored