Sponsored

UPR vs Ford Performance Catch Cans/Oil Separators

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey guys! The date is drawing closer for me to take delivery of my GT350 and I'm trying to decide which Catch Cans/Oil Separators I should buy. The UPR kit looks very well engineered but I'm still unclear on if the kit comes with install instructions or not and how difficult it is to inspect/drain. The main reason I'm drawn to the Ford Performance kit is that it comes with install instructions and is very straight forward with how you inspect/drain them. Also, I plan to keep the car stock so I do like the fact that FP kit is OEM. All in all, I'm partial to the FP kit, but I don't want to later regret getting the FP kit over the UPR kit. My main question is:

Is the Ford Performance kit inferior to the UPR kit in how well it catches oil?
(keep in mind I don't plan to track the car anytime soon)

Also, where do you guys recommend I purchase the kit that I choose to go with from? I welcome all opinions/suggestions...
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with my JLT catch can and the installation is basically plug and play. I would pick UPR over FP kit for how easy it is to remove oil. It's all preference really. I would believe they all perform exactly the same.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The FRPP one is good among the other basic kits out there. We even make hose upgrades for the FRPP can to make it look nicer.

The UPR Catch can though with the 4 chamber design makes the air flow a certain which catches all of the oil, fuel and moisture build up were the Ford system uses a flat screen like filter which over time will act like a wet towel. That means it will seep through it.

Sponsored

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
The FRPP one is good among the other basic kits out there. We even make hose upgrades for the FRPP can to make it look nicer.

The UPR Catch can though with the 4 chamber design makes the air flow a certain which catches all of the oil, fuel and moisture build up were the Ford system uses a flat screen like filter which over time will act like a wet towel. That means it will seep through it.
Can you provide a link to the upgrades hoses for the FRPP catch cans? Do you offer the upgraded hoses for both sides?

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
I can't judge the FRPP system but can confirm that the UPR system is very easy to install and looks and feels very high quality made. I have just installed it this weekend so I can't give any information yet on draining the system but again, based on the info I got from UPR, this should be straight forward.

Blue Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 1LE, GT350, Ford RS, F350 Dually, Explorer
In every prior catch can install on previous rides, I had no choice but to go to the aftermarket. They worked well and I never had any problems. When I got my GT350 I was pretty impressed that Ford Performance offered their own left/right side catch cans. To be honest, I never even checked out aftermarket versions...why would I?

I could go with a Ford Performance part on my Ford Performance vehicle. A part that has a Billion $ Corp behind it and countless hours of R&D prior to production. It uses all OEM parts/hoses and fits perfectly. Draining is pretty easy and I have no concerns about any Warranty issues.

It was an easy choice.

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
In every prior catch can install on previous rides, I had no choice but to go the the aftermarket. They worked well and I never had any problems. When I got my GT350 I was pretty impressed that Ford Performance offered their own left/right side catch cans. To be honest, I never even checked out aftermarket versions...why would I?

I could go with a Ford Performance part on my Ford Performance vehicle. A part that has a Billion $ Corp behind it and countless hours of R&D prior to production. It uses all OEM parts/hoses and fits perfectly. Draining is pretty easy and I no concerns about any Warranty issues.

It was an easy choice.
^^^My sentiments exactly!

OP
OP
Bcobb85

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Looks like I'll prob go with the FP kit. Just to confirm, the part numbers are M-6766-A50 & M-6766-A50S correct?

Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Looks like I'll prob go with the FP kit. Just to confirm, the part numbers are M-6766-A50 & M-6766-A50S correct?
Correct. I installed mine yesterday. The kit is pretty straightforward, though I had three minor hiccups that are worth sharing:

• I couldn't insert one of the plastic rivets that hold the driver side AOS to the shock tower. I ended up reusing the factory rivet that the kit's rivet is meant to replace.
  • One of the passenger side hoses kinks when installed as per Ford instructions. A 180 degree swap fixes the issue. This is well documented on the forums. I'm interested in learning about the UPR braided hose replacements.
  • The passenger side AOS fits into a hole which holds a wire loom anchor. The Ford instructions tell you to move the anchor to a hole in the AOS. There is no hole in the AOS as apparently Ford changed the design but did not update the instructions.

OP
OP
Bcobb85

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Correct. I installed mine yesterday. The kit is pretty straightforward, though I had three minor hiccups that are worth sharing:

• I couldn't insert one of the plastic rivets that hold the driver side AOS to the shock tower. I ended up reusing the factory rivet that the kit's rivet is meant to replace.
  • One of the passenger side hoses kinks when installed as per Ford instructions. A 180 degree swap fixes the issue. This is well documented on the forums. I'm interested in learning about the UPR braided hose replacements.
  • The passenger side AOS fits into a hole which holds a wire loom anchor. The Ford instructions tell you to move the anchor to a hole in the AOS. There is no hole in the AOS as apparently Ford changed the design but did not update the instructions.
Just ordered them, thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to take these notes into account when I do the install. With the 180 degree swap, do you have a link where this is discussed in detail? (just want to be sure I do it right). Also, with the wire loom anchor issue, do you just let the wire loom hang after install since there is no place to relocate it? Thanks again!

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Agree with the OEM comment, was impressed they made the part and specifically recommended it in the track prep / alignment spec sheet. Plus it's not marked up like crazy and won't void any warranties.

We're talking about a friggin catch can, 4 chambers?? That's all marketing hype imo. You get 99.9% of the functionality from the same basic design. And the .1% is impossible to measure or prove, there's more variation from car to car than what one catch can design does vs another slightly different one. Pick what you like best, I prefer to keep everything OEM / Ford Performance - where available and price competitive.

Will make an install video / description when I put mine in this week.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Where is everyone getting these, best price OTD ?
Agree, go with oem Ford, in case you blow a engine or others issues,
like oil usage, etc. It seems wiser to have the oem there....

Yes, we all know that the law protects us and manufacturer has to
prove what you put on there is the cause of failure, if they deny you,
but do you want to go through that ?