Sponsored

Oil pump gears and crank sprocket but why?

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I’m still trying to figure out if this is even an issuer on the gen3 since ford apparently addressed the root cause. Does anyone know of any gen3 that’s broken the opg?

I’ve heard the gen2 roush sc kit includes the gen3 damper even though it isn’t needed for the belt routing. Maybe that’s the truck kit.
Hello, Most of the issues we have seen are with supercharged applications that cause distress to the front of the crankshaft snout.

Sponsored

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
How many 2018-9’s have you seen that have broken opg’s?
Hello,

We have never had one of our cars break a stock gear. We had our 2018 GT owned by Mike S. and it made over 1000 rwhp, ran 9's at over 150 mph and has never had a problem with a bone stock engine.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Whippled 2018 with stock OPG/CS checking in here and it's been all over the rev limiter on the stock balancer a lot of times. Not one issue.

I did limit Lund to the factory rev limiter even though it was still making a ton of power right up to it.

When the time comes for a built short block, I'll upgrade the gear/sprocket then.

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Not sure I’d pay someone to do it, but since I ha e the knowhow to do it, I did it myself. Cheap insurance, I sleep better at night knowing it’s done.

One odd thing though is that it’s so controversial, and I’ve noticed far more people that are against it get rude and nasty about it versus people that are for it. It’s everyone’s own choice and up to them and their comfort level, not sure why it’s such a big deal.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Aftermarket balancer with stock OPG is a bad idea, ask me how I know that.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
With the number of times I’ve seen my ballancer bolt come loose I’m surprized we don’t hear about more of them breaking.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
With the number of times I’ve seen my ballancer bolt come loose I’m surprized we don’t hear about more of them breaking.
Whaaaa! WTF is going on there?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
That's what we call an installation error, not because aftermaket dampers and OEM engine parts are not compatible.
And you would know that because
That's what we call an installation error, not because aftermaket dampers and OEM engine parts are not compatible.
This is what happens when you think you know everything. Open your mind, do some research and you will be wiser my friend. It’s a known fact that aftermarket dampers and stock OPG is not a good idea.

Don’t trust me trust this. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/fords-word-on-crank-damper-opg-timing-components.53571/

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I would say this....Ford stated the OPG failures are due to crankshaft harmonics. Ford also said " Just installing an aftermarket race damper is not always a fix. Some aftermarket dampers are not tuned correctly and do not control the torsional vibrations." This aligns perfectly with my training and practice on shaft and rotor dynamics. Changing ("upgrading") a component could make matters better or worse, and without doing a full engineering analysis you really don't know. I can't stress this enough. Changing the damper to a different one has a 50/50 shot of improving the situation if you didn't do the full analysis. That's what got me excited to see the Gen3 comes from the factory with a viscous damper, vs the Gen1 and 2's rubber damper. This is a strong indicator that Ford did said engineering analysis and upgraded the damper themselves to one with improved characteristics that would better protect the parts on the front of the engine. The lack of reported Gen3 OPG failures seems to support this.
Sponsored