Oil Pressure.

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Posted to my Facebook the other day and everyone is losing their minds. I thought this was normal? It’s at idle, in gear and very warm (thanks to traffic) 205-ish degrees. I’ve seen 12-15 in that situation before. I’m running ford 5w-20 and a Ford filter that’s only a few months old with maybe 500 miles on it, mostly sat over winter.

tell Me this is fine, and the internet is just misinformed. I’ve tried searching, and all that mainly comes up is catch can stuff…

E1C5F9EC-06A7-4E89-ADA9-9D83B0373668.jpeg
Sponsored

Donny53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Posted to my Facebook the other day and everyone is losing their minds. I thought this was normal? It’s at idle, in gear and very warm (thanks to traffic) 205-ish degrees. I’ve seen 12-15 in that situation before. I’m running ford 5w-20 and a Ford filter that’s only a few months old with maybe 500 miles on it, mostly sat over winter.

tell Me this is fine, and the internet is just misinformed. I’ve tried searching, and all that mainly comes up is catch can stuff…

E1C5F9EC-06A7-4E89-ADA9-9D83B0373668.jpeg
I have a 2021 and run 5W30 and my oil pressure is between 15 and 20 psi when it is hot.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There have been numerous threads on this. In 2018 ford installed an oil pressure bypass valve that opens and lowers pressure at low rpm and light load. If you watch it, there is a distinct “toggle” where it jumps up and runs more typical numbers.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I've posted this before in other oil PSI threads.... so here's a repeat.
---

Oil PSI will change based on multiple conditions.

Oil PSI in ANY engine is always dependent upon operating temps, oil viscosity and SPEED/RPM. It's also dependent on extremely high tolerances built into these modern engines. Engines of days past (push rod engines) had "loose" tolerances and less internal parts where oil psi wasn't as high as seen in today's modern engines where build tolerances and specs are very "tight" and "close".

Also to note (for those not understanding oil psi or seeing such readings):
High oil psi upon initial startup is normal in every vehicle. The oil viscosity is thicker due to it sitting and dependent upon exterior seasonal temps (whether in a a garage or not). The colder the engine block, the thicker the oil will be, then as it warms up viscosity changes (thins out). As the oil does thin out and based on idle/speed/rpm/internal temps, yes the PSI will show lower readings. HOWEVER whether hot or cold, as long as those readings are within spec, there is NO concern.

Not every single Coyote is going to read the same oil psi @ X-interval (speed/rpm/idle) or at X-temps with X-viscosity, they just won't. Will they be within +/- 5-10psi of say the Ford spec, YES.

The oil psi specs below is for a bone stock S550 Coyote 5.0 right from Ford:
b-b698-4bc5-8cdc-94d6fe7d9483-jpeg-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

That above charted PSI info is also based upon the standard recommended oil for the 5.0 Coyote.

—-
Here was an older thread regarding oil psi:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-mustang-gt-15-psi-oil-pressure-normal.109015/

For those just using the stock analog factory PP oil psi gauge in center dash pod above the center console stack, IMO, Ford should have designed that oil psi gauge with better increments.

Your oil psi reading is spot on. Tell the FakeBook idiots they need to be schooled. Morons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rabid_josh

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
**treed just above me**
after digging and changing my google wording I found what i was looking for.

OP.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
rabid_josh

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
i was pretty adamant about what you stated, but when its your own vehicle, it sinks into your head and you just cant let it go, until you get the validation that you were in fact correct. So, thank you, makes me feel better to a degree. To be sure, I am still gonna change the oil/filter.

I've posted this before in other oil PSI threads.... so here's a repeat.
---

Oil PSI will change based on multiple conditions.

Oil PSI in ANY engine is always dependent upon operating temps, oil viscosity and SPEED/RPM. It's also dependent on extremely high tolerances built into these modern engines. Engines of days past (push rod engines) had "loose" tolerances and less internal parts where oil psi wasn't as high as seen in today's modern engines where build tolerances and specs are very "tight" and "close".

Also to note (for those not understanding oil psi or seeing such readings):
High oil psi upon initial startup is normal in every vehicle. The oil viscosity is thicker due to it sitting and dependent upon exterior seasonal temps (whether in a a garage or not). The colder the engine block, the thicker the oil will be, then as it warms up viscosity changes (thins out). As the oil does thin out and based on idle/speed/rpm/internal temps, yes the PSI will show lower readings. HOWEVER whether hit or cold, as long as those readings are within spec, there is NO concern.

Not every single Coyote is going to read the same oil psi @ X-interval (speed:rpm/idle) or at X-temps with X-viscosity, they just won't. Will they be within +/- of say 5-10psi the Ford spec, YES.

The oil psi specs below is for a bone stock S550 Coyote 5.0 right from Ford:
b-b698-4bc5-8cdc-94d6fe7d9483-jpeg-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

That PSI info is also based upon the standard recommended oil for the 5.0 Coyote.

—-
Here was an older thread regarding oil psi:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-mustang-gt-15-psi-oil-pressure-normal.109015/

IMO, Ford should have designed the oil psi gauge with better increments.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
i was pretty adamant about what you stated, but when its your own vehicle, it sinks into your head and you just cant let it go, until you get the validation that you were in fact correct. So, thank you, makes me feel better to a degree. To be sure, I am still gonna change the oil/filter.
Yea, understood. You just gotta steer clear of the FakeBookers... lots of misinformation on some of those cluster groups. If you want real tech stick to the forums where there is a LOT of great and factual info. Unfortunately, some of those Groups don't know a thing about mechanics - they're too busy thumbing each other or just posting a lot of BS and will post pure crap that makes you think 2x or even 3x doubting your own sanity so to speak...

We'll always steer you right on this site and with facts.

The other thing with automotive forums - posted info, data and the tech is always searchable and can be referenced back upon, even years later.... on FakeBook and Instacrap, it's not.

Take care

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There have been numerous threads on this. In 2018 ford installed an oil pressure bypass valve that opens and lowers pressure at low rpm and light load. If you watch it, there is a distinct “toggle” where it jumps up and runs more typical numbers.
The only thing I don't like on gen 3 motors. I literally can't envision where something like that would be a good idea or have any real use besides adding something extra to fail.

OP
OP
rabid_josh

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Irony. Changed oil today because I couldn’t get the gremlins out of my head. Old oil looked brand new, and smelled fine. Put Mobil 1 5w-40 in it to see if pressure changed.. this is after a 25 mile drive in and out of traffic. 😂

A1BDF2F4-97E8-4C35-B682-7E6DDFB4EAF8.png

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I don't like that with the A10 automatic driving in normal mode the engine never gets to 2000 rpm, it's always just above idle. So it's always in that low oil pressure range. So I drive around in track mode so the tranny doesn't shift until the rpm gets higher.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There are engine speed and load triggers that cause the oil pressure bypass valve to open. I can assure you that ford chose these settings such that it won’t cause damage or premature wear. The main concern, imo, is if the valve fails to close, but I haven’t heard of this happening.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
I've always had the question as to whether the vakve is a normally closed or normally open valve. Or in other words, if you unplug the solenoid valve, will the engine be left in the lower oil pressure state or the high pressure state. Common sense would say high pressure mode, but there is a lack of common sense in the world today so anything is possible. Could definitely see that solenoid being unplugged having the pcm go into limp mode.

OP
OP
rabid_josh

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Awe shoot! Another oil pressure thread! 🍾🍺🍻
Most of them don’t have worthwhile information in them, let alone come up properly when using the search function. I had to use google to lead me back to a thread here. Pardon me for being concerned like others when something isn’t like what you’re exactly used to.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Most of them don’t have worthwhile information in them, let alone come up properly when using the search function. I had to use google to lead me back to a thread here. Pardon me for being concerned like others when something isn’t like what you’re exactly used to.
Calm down buddy, dont get your panties in a bunch! It's just a joke relating to an old thread from weeks ago. If you hadn't already received the info you needed I would have helped out before busting your balls.
Sponsored