Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT 15 PSI Oil pressure normal?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Hey folks,

So my Mustang GT has an idle oil pressure of 15PSI (operating temp oil). Is this normal? Shouldnt it be 20PSI? I am using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 with a Royal Purple Oil Filter 20-500.

Not freaking out lol just want to make sure nothing is wrong.

Thanks!
image1.jpeg
Sponsored

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
Yours look more like 13.5-14 ......

Pretty normal lol. The spec are 10-15 psi @ idle. I can see has low as 12 psi on my datalog sometime no worries!!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The engine is still getting the proper volume of oil to all the places it's supposed to go. Hot 5W-20 is thin and easy for the positive displacement pump to move, so a lower pressure reflects that. Gauge pressure is an indication of how hard it is to pump a specific volume of oil at a specific viscosity through the oiling system.

What's the oil pressure on a cold start? And what's the pressure hot at say 5000 RPM?

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
10 psi for every 1000 rpm is the rule of thumb. See where it's at at 6000 rpm.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yours look more like 13.5-14 ......

Pretty normal lol. The spec are 10-15 psi @ idle. I can see has low as 12 psi on my datalog sometime no worries!!
Thanks @steph93lx Its my first V8 car and first car that actually shows oil pressure. I wasnt sure whats normal thanks for confirming :) Yes, it shows as 13.5-14 while in D but when I put it in Park or Neutral it comes up to 15psi.

The engine is still getting the proper volume of oil to all the places it's supposed to go. Hot 5W-20 is thin and easy for the positive displacement pump to move, so a lower pressure reflects that. Gauge pressure is an indication of how hard it is to pump a specific volume of oil at a specific viscosity through the oiling system.

What's the oil pressure on a cold start? And what's the pressure hot at say 5000 RPM?
10 psi for every 1000 rpm is the rule of thumb. See where it's at at 6000 rpm.
I will check it at 5000 and 6000 rpm. Thanks!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
2018 has an oil pressure solenoid bypass. It will toggle to a much higher pressure around 3000 rpm. This is a fuel economy “feature”.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
I have seen 80-100psi on my '18 many times. Been wondering if it's a fluke or normal..

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen 80-100psi on my '18 many times. Been wondering if it's a fluke or normal..
Probably saw oil pressure that high when the oil was cold and while revving the engine some. So yeah, it's normal if that's when you saw the high oil pressure.

Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
Probably saw oil pressure that high when the oil was cold and while revving the engine some. So yeah, it's normal if that's when you saw the high oil pressure.
This was operating temp, albeit lower in the normal range, and only when driving. Typically see it under decel conditions around 3-3500 rpm.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Pressure is nothing more than a RESISTANCE to flow. I'd be more worried if the pressure was on the upper end of the gauge. Like was previously mentioned, as long as the volume of oil is moving through all of the required passages and getting where it needs to be, then the pressure is somewhat irrelevant.

No oil pressure is bad. Too much oil pressure (signifying a blockage) is bad, but as long as it is within spec for any given rpm/temp range, then there is no reason to be concerned.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pressure is nothing more than a RESISTANCE to flow. I'd be more worried if the pressure was on the upper end of the gauge. Like was previously mentioned, as long as the volume of oil is moving through all of the required passages and getting where it needs to be, then the pressure is somewhat irrelevant.

No oil pressure is bad. Too much oil pressure (signifying a blockage) is bad, but as long as it is within spec for any given rpm/temp range, then there is no reason to be concerned.
@VooDooDaddy Thanks. I was not knowledgeable about this until after I posted this thread and read up on oil related PSI threads. Appreciate your input!

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I just changed my oil then took car for a short drive. I had taken it for a short drive before I changed it as well. Anyway, after the oil change the pressure would be in the 20 range until I started to move up in revs. Then it would kick all the way to like 90 sometimes and then drop back when backed off the gas. I don't usually watch the gauge the closely so I have no idea if that's normal. I was just getting ready for winter storage. The only other time I plan to have it running this year is maybe tomorrow to wash it. I will take it on another short drive. Weather is supposed to be decent for part of the day.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just changed my oil then took car for a short drive. I had taken it for a short drive before I changed it as well. Anyway, after the oil change the pressure would be in the 20 range until I started to move up in revs. Then it would kick all the way to like 90 sometimes and then drop back when backed off the gas. I don't usually watch the gauge the closely so I have no idea if that's normal. I was just getting ready for winter storage. The only other time I plan to have it running this year is maybe tomorrow to wash it. I will take it on another short drive. Weather is supposed to be decent for part of the day.
Normal ... oil pressure increases with engine RPM.
Sponsored