Oil pressure issues..

Bhorton91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Branden
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Got the car out of the garage earlier today for a cruise in. Haven't driven it in two weeks. I hear a little weird noise with it idling while i close the garage up. Almost like a weird sucking sound. I don't know the best way to describe it. I start down the road and low oil pressure light comes on. push the clutch in and goes off. I stop and watch it for a second and its not coming on idling. Start heading home and its fine as long i give it throttle in gear.

Go to parts house and get a new oil pressure sensor and change it out and its still doing it. I tried to find something but didn't see anything in the forum.

So oil pressure is fine when,
car is idling,
in gear with the throttle is applied,
when laying the wood to it.

light comes on when,
off throttle in gear.

Car has a 2.9 whipple
mmr opgs
mmr crank sprocket
whipple tune currently.

I'm lost, I don't wanna to take it to a dealer but i also don't wanna to play a game with the engine... so any info or insight would be great.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Bhorton91

Bhorton91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Branden
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
That's yer problem.. clearances are all over the place.
in the car when i bought it.. as far i as i have heard its one of the only things they have been able to make worth a darn.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
in the car when i bought it.. as far i as i have heard its one of the only things they have been able to make worth a darn.
There are multiple threads on issues with aftermarket OPG's.

Sponsored

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
As far as I know pressure sender in a 2015 is either normal oil pressure or not. this is why I changed it.

I’ve just built a new sleeved forged motor and I’ve put in an after market oil pressure gauge and temp , so I can accurately see what’s happening.

it might be worth getting an brass T extension and doing the same just to see what oil pressure you actually have.

IN gear or out of gear has absolutely no correlation with oil pressure. RPM is the only thing that increases or decreases oil pressure. So sitting in your driveway you should be able to replicate it.

my engine is running a New boundary pump and I can get oil pressure spinning the engine by hand with keyway tool , it was pumping out of the oil filter assembly on the the ground haha I was very happy to see that.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Follow Timbuck's advice first and tee a guage in to verify. I just put a new gen 3 coyote in my car and got low oil warning while breaking it in. The pp1 gauge looked like my pressure was ok though until I hooked up a mechanical gauge and found I'm out of spec.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Follow Timbuck's advice first and tee a guage in to verify. I just put a new gen 3 coyote in my car and got low oil warning while breaking it in. The pp1 gauge looked like my pressure was ok though until I hooked up a mechanical gauge and found I'm out of spec.
Did you ever figure out the cause of your issues?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever figure out the cause of your issues?
Not yet. I confirmed oil pressure is in fact low so it isn't an electrical issue. I pulled the pan and the pick up, seal and oil squirters look good but at that point Benny told me to talk to ford warranty before i tear anything else apart. I had three kids graduating this may so I had to put it on hold while I got through a preschool, High school and college graduation plus all the celebrations. Lol. I spoke to ford this week and basically I'm on my own. This weekend I need to get the ac working in my clapped out civic. It's hot out here and I never thought I'd still be driving that thing! After I get it going I'll get back into the mustang.

Right now I'm getting 8-10 psi at idle (spec is 10-15) and I should get 30-40 at 2k but mine isn't climbing to 30 until 3k rpms. It also only shoots up to 55psi at start up and I know before it would shoot up to 90ish for a second.

I'm thinking it has to be a blockage before the sensor or a bad seal down stream. Correct me if I'm thinking about this wrong but if the blockage was past the sensor then I'd still have good pressure up to the sensor right?

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Also op, I would go wot unless you've confirmed with a mechanical gauge that pressure is good. My pp1 gauge reads 10-15 psi higher than my mechanical one. Plus just because the warning ight isn't on doesn't mean pressure is good at that given time. My oil warning doesn't come on until I've driven 10-20 miles most of the time but pressure is low across the board all the time.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Not yet. I confirmed oil pressure is in fact low so it isn't an electrical issue. I pulled the pan and the pick up, seal and oil squirters look good but at that point Benny told me to talk to ford warranty before i tear anything else apart. I had three kids graduating this may so I had to put it on hold while I got through a preschool, High school and college graduation plus all the celebrations. Lol. I spoke to ford this week and basically I'm on my own. This weekend I need to get the ac working in my clapped out civic. It's hot out here and I never thought I'd still be driving that thing! After I get it going I'll get back into the mustang.

Right now I'm getting 8-10 psi at idle (spec is 10-15) and I should get 30-40 at 2k but mine isn't climbing to 30 until 3k rpms. It also only shoots up to 55psi at start up and I know before it would shoot up to 90ish for a second.

I'm thinking it has to be a blockage before the sensor or a bad seal down stream. Correct me if I'm thinking about this wrong but if the blockage was past the sensor then I'd still have good pressure up to the sensor right?
A restriction should increase pressure, not decrease it. An internal "leak" could be your issue though.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
A restriction should increase pressure, not decrease it. An internal "leak" could be your issue though.
An internal leak could be the issue. But relative to a restriction increasing or decreasing pressure, that is dependent on whether the restriction is before or after the pump...or before or after the point at which you are taking readings.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
An internal leak could be the issue. But relative to a restriction increasing or decreasing pressure, that is dependent on whether the restriction is before or after the pump...or before or after the point at which you are taking readings.
That's a fair point. Where is the stock pressure sensor at?