Sponsored

Oil cooler kit

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
It would appear that instances of failures on the newer ones are less frequent if that's any consolation. We (as a community of owners) went through a bad phase where there was a report of failure every week on the 2015-2016 cars. The failure rate has defiantly gone down on the later cars. But not to zero. There appear to be no reports of failure when the same part is being used as an auto transmission cooler on the 10 speed gearbox in any of its applications (Mustang/Ranger/F150/Expedition/Lincoln Navigator etc/GM equivalents). Its my guess that Ford have build many more 10 speed auto F150's than they have build RHD mustangs. I suspect they use the same part elsewhere on other cars in the ford line up too for general cooling duties. They realised the LHD oil cooler wouldn't work on RHD mustangs due to the packaging requirements of the steering rack, so they sourced a cooler already used in Ford to do the job and designed the bespoke oil manifold to mount It out of the way. The cooler is perfectly up to the job when used on a Focus or Ranger or god knows what else. But in the mustang implementation its operating right at the limits of its specification. Flow rates, temperatures, pressure, ambient heat, vibration etc all play a part in the specification of this part. Look at the diagram below. Ford made up a bracket 7B142 in order to mount this existing cooler part onto the 10 speed gearbox just as they did with making a mounting solution for the RHD mustang. This part was not designed SPECIFICALLY for either job. It's a general part that meets a spec. It's probably been around for years and was originally designed for a car long since departed.

screenshot_20200630-103913-png.png
I'm amazed!! I bought a new Ranger Raptor in June last year and it has had 4 recalls already, nothing to do with the oil cooler though? Still, I haven't had a recall for a couple of weeks.......
Sponsored

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Will do.. I just want to return my engine to the way it would be if it were LH drive, but with a remote filter so I can fit a thermostatic control and a cooler. I really don't like those sandwich plates, especially in the tight situation that already exists on our cars.
They are definitely more of a pain to work on being RHD. Just. done my clutch and had to take the steering arm apart to get to the exhaust bolts on that side. No such problem with LHD haha.

OP
OP
Jon17Gt

Jon17Gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0 gt
Ok, so I have now ordered parts to do this myself. I live in West Wales and will have no time when I get back to work to travel to have it done nor do I have the tools to make up the hose ends with the Nemesis kit (sorry Guy). I have therefore ordered pre made hoses, mocal oil cooler, and mocal thermostatic cooler take off plate. Parts I need to get are a silicone u bend hose and rubber mounted brackets for cooler, or make them. My mustang is a weekend car so having it off the road is not an issue so I can take my time doing the work. While front, wheels etc are off I will also be fitting an uprated ARB, uprated discs, camber bolts. I'm in no way at all a professional mechanic but do know my way around cars. I recently spent 3 years restoring a 66 Karmann ghia ground up including building a 2054cc stroked engine. I'll post up pictures when I get started but prob won't be for a few weeks yet.

Last edited:

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jon, Where abouts are you based? This is the Oil Cooler Kit we developed. We unfortunately don't have it as a direct fit kit as involved assembly is required currently. With the cutting of hose and attaching AN Fittings as well as mounting of the cooler core brackets themselves. So, recommend professional installation. We supply quite a few Mustang Garages across the country where this kit can be fitted. Or if you are understanding of this please feel free to give us a call.

Price of the kit it's self with our plate, Setrab Cooler Core & Fittings with Aeroquip Startlite Hose = £630 Inc VAT & UK Delivery.
Do you have any documentation for the install, I'd like to see what it includes and how it works ?

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
Do you have any documentation for the install, I'd like to see what it includes and how it works ?
Hi @GR11M ,

With our kit the Oil Filter stays in place where it is. Nemesis Kit deletes the rear oil to water cooler replacing it with a thermostatic take off plate (Where other kits supply a blanking flow though plate) This allows you to have the ports for the oil lines run off this to the front mounted oil cooler core.

The plate has a channel between the two ports to allow flow of oil though and is regulated by the thermostat. Once up to temp the thermostat will block this channel allowing flow more oil to flow though the oil cooler to keep a regulated oil temp so the oil doesn't become too cool.

The factory radiator hose is kept in place and a 180deg U-Bend hose is fitted so there is no need for install of a complete hose. We will look to offer a silicone hose should owners want a cleaner look.

Installation would require building the lines to the correct length required and mounting of the oil cooler core in the desired position. Most common with our kits is behind and below the crash bar for the air to feed through the lower grill. This will also add protection to the AC Rad as a lot of them are starting to deteriorate in this area with the open EU Spec lower grille.

For what it is worth I would highly recommend installation at either Modurstang or GT101 that are nearest to your location I believe?

Here are a few install pictures below. We have now changed the fittings to Setrab Male End Fittings for a more compact and cleaner fit.

Hope this helps.

57226514_826697644344539_5156157283079553024_n.jpg

59440865_433443030776272_7959934521141362688_n.jpg
59519922_671782583266357_3502544150555787264_n.jpg
59610079_379525422774122_2619401069502922752_n.jpg

22-M22RU10-90 copy.jpg

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Guy@NemesisUK

GT101 and Modurstang are about the same distance from me.

I already have a Mishimoto radiator and hosing. The lower radiator kit won't install due to the differences on the rhd hoses but it looks like I'll be able to install the Mishimoto aluminium diverter once the oil cooler is replaced. Does the Nemesis kit Include the plate and the fittings and hoses to and from the diverter ?

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
@Guy@NemesisUK

GT101 and Modurstang are about the same distance from me.

I already have a Mishimoto radiator and hosing. The lower radiator kit won't install due to the differences on the rhd hoses but it looks like I'll be able to install the Mishimoto aluminium diverter once the oil cooler is replaced. Does the Nemesis kit Include the plate and the fittings and hoses to and from the diverter ?
So, with the Mishimoto Radiator Hose Kit and the Larger lower hose. Is it just that it is not compatible because of the oil cooler hose lines not reaching the Factory RHD Oil Cooler Location? So, if the diverter is connected in place between the two lower hoses this will then connect from Radiator to Engine. Correct? If you were to go with the Nemesis Oil Cooler Kit, you should be able to fit and clamp the 180 Deg Silicone Hose supplied to cap off the ends or could just delete it completely with an Straight Aluminium Hose Joiner and clamp both ends?

You should be then all set to have everything installed at the same time and work as it should looing a lot cleaner and nicer in the engine bay!

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Guy@NemesisUK

Yes the Mishimoto hoses from the diverter to the oil cooler weren't long enough and the OE hoses had different fittings.

It would work with the hose joiner, do you sell the oil cooler as a kit only or as individual parts too ?

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
@Guy@NemesisUK

Yes the Mishimoto hoses from the diverter to the oil cooler weren't long enough and the OE hoses had different fittings.

It would work with the hose joiner, do you sell the oil cooler as a kit only or as individual parts too ?
Okay, That's all good then!

We could possibly supply it without the Silicone U-Bend Connection removing this cost. But we are not able to supply individual components of the kit on their own.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Guy@NemesisUK

Is the "kit" the Nemesis added parts or the Nemesis added parts + the Mishimoto ?
How much longer are the Nemesis hoses over the Mishimoto ?

Sponsored

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
@Guy@NemesisUK

Is the "kit" the Nemesis added parts or the Nemesis added parts + the Mishimoto ?
How much longer are the Nemesis hoses over the Mishimoto ?
I'm sorry I don't quite understand?

The Oil Cooler Kit is just our complete kit with no Mishimoto parts supplied. We were talking about the Mishimoto Rad and Hoses and you would need to source a joiner if wanting to completely delete the Mishimoto diverter joint.

We supply a 3m Hose with the kit that is cut to length with one being slightly longer than the other so roughly they are 1.5m in length. I'm afraid I don't know the Mishimoto hose lengths.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Guy@NemesisUK

Sorry I thought the kit referred to the Mishimoto cooler kit with your parts added and you sold this as one complete kit. I was trying to work out what I had and what I needed and is why I asked whether the parts in the kit could be purchased separately.

How much is the Nemesis kit and what are the ETA times with Brexit and COVID ?

Probably irrellevent now but the Mishimoto hoses are:

2'4" /0.73m
4'11" / 1.49m

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
@Guy@NemesisUK

Sorry I thought the kit referred to the Mishimoto cooler kit with your parts added and you sold this as one complete kit. I was trying to work out what I had and what I needed and is why I asked whether the parts in the kit could be purchased separately.

How much is the Nemesis kit and what are the ETA times with Brexit and COVID ?

Probably irrellevent now but the Mishimoto hoses are:

2'4" /0.73m
4'11" / 1.49m
Hi @GR11M

No problem and sorry if I confused things too.

Our kit = £630 Inc VAT and Delivery. We currently have x1 kit avaiable in stock that we can dispatch Mon-Fri on a next working day service. We are just waiting on delivery more Setrab Oil Cooler Cores before more kits will become avaiable.

With fitting at Modurstang or GT101 you would be looking just under £1K all in I believe. You can book in with either of them and they can charge for the oil cooler and labour all together.

Both of them are still operating / open during this time I believe. It would be worth a call to see what dates are free to book in when it best suits you.

Cheers

OP
OP
Jon17Gt

Jon17Gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0 gt
Hi all, so i have started on the oil cooler upgrade. Bumper etc off and drained coolant. I removed lower coolant hose and fitted a samco u bend hose to block off original route to OEM cooler.I found it a lot easier to remove hose than fitting it underneath. I'm going to take my time so will put updates as i go along for anyone interested.

20210429_100558.jpg

20210429_103951.jpg

20210501_183907.jpg

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Hi all, so i have started on the oil cooler upgrade. Bumper etc off and drained coolant. I removed lower coolant hose and fitted a samco u bend hose to block off original route to OEM cooler.I found it a lot easier to remove hose than fitting it underneath. I'm going to take my time so will put updates as i go along for anyone interested.
Looking good buddy!! Can you please tell me the part number for the U bend? Could you also please show us the parts you've accrued for the oily bits?
Sponsored