Jon17Gt

Jon17Gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0 gt
I didn't realise it left the dodgy oil cooler in place, I might not even have room for the plate as I use the bigger FL820 oil filters
It doesn't, if you ordered the RHD kit it should come with a cover to replace where cooler was.
Sponsored

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I am currently looking at getting a pick up flange from the US and removing the whole RHD casting, making a spacer or two to support the engine mount, (where it bolts through the cooler casting) and then run a remote filter and cooler. This will get rid of the whole RHD cooler and filter.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I am currently looking at getting a pick up flange from the US and removing the whole RHD casting, making a spacer or two to support the engine mount, (where it bolts through the cooler casting) and then run a remote filter and cooler. This will get rid of the whole RHD cooler and filter.
I planned that originally too. I even bought a left side engine mount casting block for a LHD car from ford to replace the oil manifold our cars have.
If you are interested I can do you a good deal on it so you don’t have to fabricate something yourself.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't, if you ordered the RHD kit it should come with a cover to replace where cooler was.
Good to know they now offer a proper RHD solution.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess it all depends how much it is? I'm guessing it isn't cheap, knowing the cost of Ford parts from the US.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it all depends how much it is? I'm guessing it isn't cheap, knowing the cost of Ford parts from the US.
It came from ford Germany and it wasnt that expensive. About £50 if memory serves. Or about £100 post Brexit with taxes etc. If you want it I will do it for £40 including post. It’s going to go unused and stay in the loft forever now if it’s not used by someone with your plan.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK thanks. I'll take it.

If you PM me your paypal address I'll pay you right away.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Apologies for straying slightly off topic here, but on this subject - I've personally not been too concerned on this so far as there was the adage that "if it's not failed by 10k miles in, you're ok" (if I remember correctly). However, I'm really looking to keep mine forever so if I can spend money now to save failures/trouble in future I will.

A quick google search suggests this was only an issue for the earlier 2015-2016 models "The bulletin states that cars built on or before July 26, 2016 are most likely to be affected." from a Aus whichcar article. Mine was built May 2017. That gives me some peace of mind at least, but that suggests Ford "fixed" it? Can anyone shed any light on that?

EDIT: found the TSB; https://ford.oemdtc.com/2604/oil-leak-from-engine-oil-cooler-right-hand-drive-2016-2017-ford-mustang

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies for straying slightly off topic here, but on this subject - I've personally not been too concerned on this so far as there was the adage that "if it's not failed by 10k miles in, you're ok" (if I remember correctly). However, I'm really looking to keep mine forever so if I can spend money now to save failures/trouble in future I will.

A quick google search suggests this was only an issue for the earlier 2015-2016 models "The bulletin states that cars built on or before July 26, 2016 are most likely to be affected." from a Aus whichcar article. Mine was built May 2017. That gives me some peace of mind at least, but that suggests Ford "fixed" it? Can anyone shed any light on that?

EDIT: found the TSB; https://ford.oemdtc.com/2604/oil-leak-from-engine-oil-cooler-right-hand-drive-2016-2017-ford-mustang
Read this https://www.motorsportandperformance.com/blogs/s550-faq/mustang-gt-oil-cooler-failure

Oil cooler failure has been spotted on a Gen3 2019 GT by MAP in the UK. Its also been seen on at least one Gen3 2018 GT in Australia.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Well now I feel silly for not doing enough googling lol

That's very helpful, ta
It would appear that instances of failures on the newer ones are less frequent if that's any consolation. We (as a community of owners) went through a bad phase where there was a report of failure every week on the 2015-2016 cars. The failure rate has defiantly gone down on the later cars. But not to zero. There appear to be no reports of failure when the same part is being used as an auto transmission cooler on the 10 speed gearbox in any of its applications (Mustang/Ranger/F150/Expedition/Lincoln Navigator etc/GM equivalents). Its my guess that Ford have build many more 10 speed auto F150's than they have build RHD mustangs. I suspect they use the same part elsewhere on other cars in the ford line up too for general cooling duties. They realised the LHD oil cooler wouldn't work on RHD mustangs due to the packaging requirements of the steering rack, so they sourced a cooler already used in Ford to do the job and designed the bespoke oil manifold to mount It out of the way. The cooler is perfectly up to the job when used on a Focus or Ranger or god knows what else. But in the mustang implementation its operating right at the limits of its specification. Flow rates, temperatures, pressure, ambient heat, vibration etc all play a part in the specification of this part. Look at the diagram below. Ford made up a bracket 7B142 in order to mount this existing cooler part onto the 10 speed gearbox just as they did with making a mounting solution for the RHD mustang. This part was not designed SPECIFICALLY for either job. It's a general part that meets a spec. It's probably been around for years and was originally designed for a car long since departed.

screenshot_20200630-103913-png.png

Last edited:

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

I have a 67 plate mustang pal and mine failed at 2000miles. Since they fitted the new one i have had no mores issues. I will still probably get rid of soon though to be on the safe side. I was lucky as mine went just as pulled on my drive.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. You have just cemented into my mind "I AM GOING TO DO THIS".

I will be using a Ford Motorsport adaptor. Ford LH Engine mount and Mocal cooler and thermostatic filter mounting.

I may make a copy of the adaptor and spacers to go behind the stock RHD engine mount. I want to totally get rid of the aluminium casting the filter and cooler is on.

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thank you. You have just cemented into my mind "I AM GOING TO DO THIS".

I will be using a Ford Motorsport adaptor. Ford LH Engine mount and Mocal cooler and thermostatic filter mounting.

I may make a copy of the adaptor and spacers to go behind the stock RHD engine mount. I want to totally get rid of the aluminium casting the filter and cooler is on.
Keep me posted on how this turns out please pal. There is limited room where the oil filter is, changed my oil the other day and what a pain it is to get too. So I'm intrigued how much worse putting a sandwich plate there makes it. The solution Nemesis sounds good also.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep me posted on how this turns out please pal. There is limited room where the oil filter is, changed my oil the other day and what a pain it is to get too. So I'm intrigued how much worse putting a sandwich plate there makes it. The solution Nemesis sounds good also.
Will do.. I just want to return my engine to the way it would be if it were LH drive, but with a remote filter so I can fit a thermostatic control and a cooler. I really don't like those sandwich plates, especially in the tight situation that already exists on our cars.
Sponsored