Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang(race red) 2019 Honda CR-V VTI AWD.
Finally! My Harrop oil cooler has arrived.Vehicle is booked in on 2/9/20.Plus my Strut Brace arrived.Woo Hoo!
07614495-1814-4D15-A048-7CA2C75393A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Did you ever get a resolution with Ford NZ/AU regarding your oil cooler failure?
On Facebook (yes I weakened), there is a group called Aussie Mustang Owners and Enthusiasts. A member is allegedly getting a replacement engine from Ford for his 2016 GT (30,000 km) as a result of his oil cooler failure. The member states that it may take up to 4 months to get the Engine and it is a Gen 3 motor. He states that he will keep the group updated. FYI.

NZ GT mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt Mustang Fastback MT, Deep Impact Blue
Well, we will be picking our Mustang up this afternoon. We got it towed to North Harbour Ford in Auckland. They made a claim for a 100% warranty repair (full new motor replacment ) and Ford Head office approved it. I could not fault Noth Harbour Ford with their great service and communication. It was fantastic, considering we are back in Covid-19 lockdown again.
A great outcome but one that you'd never want to visit. I have not had a response to my original letter, may be that will follow?? I want hold my breath.
My advice to everyone is to get the oil cooler on their Mustang changed to the -D revision cooler. That is the latest revision. You need to tell Ford that you have had oil on the floor of your garage. It could pay to drive some of your engine oil on the cooler before you take it into Ford, go for a warranty claim to get the oil cooler swapped out.

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Well, we will be picking our Mustang up this afternoon. We got it towed to North Harbour Ford in Auckland. They made a claim for a 100% warranty repair (full new motor replacment ) and Ford Head office approved it. I could not fault Noth Harbour Ford with their great service and communication. It was fantastic, considering we are back in Covid-19 lockdown again.
A great outcome but one that you'd never want to visit. I have not had a response to my original letter, may be that will follow?? I want hold my breath.
My advice to everyone is to get the oil cooler on their Mustang changed to the -D revision cooler. That is the latest revision. You need to tell Ford that you have had oil on the floor of your garage. It could pay to drive some of your engine oil on the cooler before you take it into Ford, go for a warranty claim to get the oil cooler swapped out.
Better still,get a Harrop cooler fitted.Mine gets fitted next week.

Sponsored

NZ GT mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt Mustang Fastback MT, Deep Impact Blue
Yes I
Better still,get a Harrop cooler fitted.Mine gets fitted next week.
Yes I am looking also at the Harrop cooler. Because some of the cooler that have failed are on 2017 built cars an not as Ford have said in there TSB's as per July 2016. Just been and put the first 160 Km on the new motor. Have lost the reverse camera and the tyre sensor, the come and go, it will be something simple.

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Yes I

Yes I am looking also at the Harrop cooler. Because some of the cooler that have failed are on 2017 built cars an not as Ford have said in there TSB's as per July 2016. Just been and put the first 160 Km on the new motor. Have lost the reverse camera and the tyre sensor, the come and go, it will be something simple.
What motor did they put in?

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
Was debating either getting a set of Michelin 4S's or the Harrop oil cooler. Thought I'd do the smart thing and get the oil cooler since my tyre tread is still good. For anyone reading this in the future, called Harrop and they said it was the last one available so make sure you give them a call to check stock before you order.

Sponsored

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Was debating either getting a set of Michelin 4S's or the Harrop oil cooler. Thought I'd do the smart thing and get the oil cooler since my tyre tread is still good. For anyone reading this in the future, called Harrop and they said it was the last one available so make sure you give them a call to check stock before you order.
Good & wise decision.Get mine installed next week. Mine took about 3 & a bit weeks to come in.I had to pay up front.($1,265) Harrop in Melb were waiting for the cooler core to come from Sweden,& is manufactured by “Setrab”.

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
Good & wise decision.Get mine installed next week. Mine took about 3 & a bit weeks to come in.I had to pay up front.($1,265) Harrop in Melb were waiting for the cooler core to come from Sweden,& is manufactured by “Setrab”.
Yep I remember that, I was planning on ordering early last month and they didn't have stock until late Aug/early Sep due to waiting on parts. I ordered a couple of hours ago and they sent me an email saying it's ready to ship today via TNT, should arrive in a week or so.

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
What is the average mileage that the oil coolers are failing @? Is it high?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
What is the average mileage that the oil coolers are failing @? Is it high?
no... sadly not.. normally between 1000-15,000 miles...

hackney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
no... sadly not.. normally between 1000-15,000 miles...
Mine has just turned over 14,000 kms.But is booked in next week to get the Harrop oil cooler kit fitted.Had a look underneath the car,@ the moment looks spotless.I am “paranoid” though!!
Sponsored