Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ok but new engine isn't going to fix the problem if the oil cooler location is what's causing it to fail. I think ford should come up with a better oil cooler solution than the current one.
I have a Volvo XC60 with a fomoco oil cooler that's mounted at the front right beside the radiator away from heat source.
Another concern is if this happens after warranty ends...
Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Sorry copie, don't agree mate. From a safety stand point alone I'd prefer to have it addressed straight away so that it doesn't seize when I'm overtaking or dump oil under the wheels in the wet. Also I don't want the underside of the car coated with gunk that's impossible to remove entirely, it'll smell and drop all over my garage floor.

Not withstanding that the oil cooler issues shouldn't arise in the first place and a fix should have reasonably been confirmed and retrofitted by the manufacturer by now, it appears that so far they've been properly addressed while under warranty including replacement engines when required. The question of what happens after warranty remains.

Thanks Bushranger for the update. In light of the recent ACCC case it's very clear we're not dealing with the brightest or best dealership network nor manufacturer/dealership arrangement, so the delay may be good if it means they're looking into things further.

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Well the ACCC just directed me to NSW Fair Trading. So I will give them a call during the week. I sometimes wonder if people even read what I send them. I do not want this to be a state by state issue.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Agree Peter, did they say why? Sometimes very junior people do the triaging of correspondence.

Would be interesting to know what convinced ACCC to go after the Focus issue, maybe Fair Trading are the ones to refer matters to the ACCC. I'd have thought there are parallels between the Focus and Mustang issues although the key difference might be that in the case of the Focus blame was being deflected back to the customer whereas in the Mustang's case it's just a defect. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to case law on defects.

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
Agree Peter, did they say why? Sometimes very junior people do the triaging of correspondence.

Would be interesting to know what convinced ACCC to go after the Focus issue, maybe Fair Trading are the ones to refer matters to the ACCC. I'd have thought there are parallels between the Focus and Mustang issues although the key difference might be that in the case of the Focus blame was being deflected back to the customer whereas in the Mustang's case it's just a defect. Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to case law on defects.
The ACCC went Ford on the Focus issue because of a class action by the public and Ford not helping people who had faulty Powershift gearboxes. These were Fords dry clutch DSG box.

I know a couple of people who are in the class action and lost a lot of money selling their cars to get out of them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
ACCC oversees compliance with legislation and will only get involved if there's a legal basis for doing so eg unconscionable conduct, collusion or some other contravention of law. The issue generally needs to affect a significant number of people and the argument generally needs to be quite strong as they're using tax payers money to bring the case. Actually just found the ACCC media release which explains their position:

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/accc-takes-action-against-ford

Couple of things that differ; half of 70k cars is a lot more widespread than the number of affected Mustangs even if the cooler and a/c issues were added together, and Ford isn't telling us it's our fault and offering us a lousy deal to get out of the situation. But that doesn't mean the door is closed...

Last edited:

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
[MENTION=8448]12g[/MENTION] that should be painless to reply to;

Have sent a reply back to Ford New Zealand the next day in the same line as you were indicating.
As yet NO REPLY.
Hi 12g

Did you ever get a response back from Ford? Sorry if you posted and I missed it, I couldn't find anything.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Any idea how many have jumped on the street fighter kit to get some insurance against this?

Sponsored

12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M1454
Hi 12g

Did you ever get a response back from Ford? Sorry if you posted and I missed it, I couldn't find anything.

Hi GT 550
No have not had a reply and will never, Ford don’t want to admit any liability.
But I was talking to one of the NZ engineers at Beach Hop (show casing the new 2018 GT) (was a bit cagey at first) but once he worked out I had a few clues about the oil cooler failure he started to talk.
The outcome of that discussion was they have had some oil cooler failures (wouldn’t admit to numbers) but stated:
Oil cooler failures general happen in the first 4,000km
The cars have general been through a hard time.
I was able to get underneath a 2018 GT, the oil cooler is in the same place and is the same cooler.
We will just have to wait and see what happens after warranty ends.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks 12g,

That's probably the best detail we've seen yet. Interesting they still aren't prepared to say 'yes this is the problem and this is what we did to fix it' and that they're (allegedly?) putting the same config on the '18.

As you say...we will have to see what happens after warranty ends.

Reactions: 12g

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi GT 550
No have not had a reply and will never, Ford don’t want to admit any liability.
But I was talking to one of the NZ engineers at Beach Hop (show casing the new 2018 GT) (was a bit cagey at first) but once he worked out I had a few clues about the oil cooler failure he started to talk.
The outcome of that discussion was they have had some oil cooler failures (wouldn’t admit to numbers) but stated:
Oil cooler failures general happen in the first 4,000km
The cars have general been through a hard time.
I was able to get underneath a 2018 GT, the oil cooler is in the same place and is the same cooler.
We will just have to wait and see what happens after warranty ends.
Did you find out if the 2018 still has the same cramped up restricted drivers side headers ?