Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
The Mishi kit only converts the stock oil/water cooling arrangement to oil/air. The gold block is a thermostat.

SF adds to the Mishi kit by replacing the oem part that fails with their black block, which also has provisions for sensors.

:cheers:
Sponsored

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Can I ask did you have your CAI and other engine mods still installed when Ford took the car in to replace the engine?

Was there any mention by Ford of these modifications? Not that they would have effected the oil cooler one jot, I'm just curious

Cheers,
Phil
CAI and Exhaust / Headers were done when the engine was replaced. So no - not there at all at the time of failure.

And the Ford service bulletin is quite clear. No engine mods are the cause of the failure, therefore when the oil cooler fails, Ford will replace the engine block FOC. And this is whether the car is in or out of warranty.

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Would be interesting to hear what is considered a hard time for a 5.0 litre engine that revs to 7000 rpm. It’s a bloody performance car and the issue happens on right hand drive cars. Do they think all the right hand drive cars are flogged harder than the US cars you see doing track days on you tube. That’s a lame excuse if ever there was one.
It's not lame. Its simply made up. Fictitious.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
CAI and Exhaust / Headers were done when the engine was replaced. So no - not there at all at the time of failure.

And the Ford service bulletin is quite clear. No engine mods are the cause of the failure, therefore when the oil cooler fails, Ford will replace the engine block FOC. And this is whether the car is in or out of warranty.
Thanks, that is good to know.

If mine ever goes I'll be hoping that they have run out of 2015 to 2017 V8's and I'll get the 2018 model V8. Which is exactly what happened when I had a significant and early engine issue with a new Porsche. They even express airfreighted the new and upgraded engine from Stuttgart. And yes I had to go through a ton of paperwork with the RTA (of what ever they call it these days) as I assume you did.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
TeamDenno can you please quote or link the relevant parts of the TSB? The one I've read isn't explicit on these things but if you have one that says in particular that we're covered in or out of warranty it's a game changer as the 'out of warranty' question issue appears to be crux of many an owner's concerns.

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
TeamDenno can you please quote or link the relevant parts of the TSB? The one I've read isn't explicit on these things but if you have one that says in particular that we're covered in or out of warranty it's a game changer as the 'out of warranty' question issue appears to be crux of many an owner's concerns.
I tend to agree with the idea of replacing the oil cooler myself when I am out of warranty. I don’t want to hassle of trying to get a new engine even though we have a very supportive dealer. Maybe in some eyes it is wasted money but I don’t want a failure as I may be without the car when I have something planned or or on a drive weekend.

Craig I can’t recall if you had to pay towing costs on yours when it popped but I wouldn’t want the hassle of arranging to get it from Tassie or somewhere like that back to Sydney.

I understand your idea of getting a new engine every now and then though. I like mine it’s part of the car.

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to agree with the idea of replacing the oil cooler myself when I am out of warranty. I don’t want to hassle of trying to get a new engine even though we have a very supportive dealer. Maybe in some eyes it is wasted money but I don’t want a failure as I may be without the car when I have something planned or or on a drive weekend.

Craig I can’t recall if you had to pay towing costs on yours when it popped but I wouldn’t want the hassle of arranging to get it from Tassie or somewhere like that back to Sydney.

I understand your idea of getting a new engine every now and then though. I like mine it’s part of the car.
I had extended NRMA cover, so that was the only "expense".

The Ford cover allows for towing to the "nearest Ford dealer". My NRMA cover allows me to have the car towed to my nominated Ford dealer.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
I'm gonna assume this issue will be fixed by the time the 2018 (and 2019) cars arrive....

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm gonna assume this issue will be fixed by the time the 2018 (and 2019) cars arrive....
Not according to 12g on page 21. He says the oil cooler is the same and in the same location. So I would imagine 2018 model could be affected as well. Only time will tell.

Reactions: 12g

Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Bummer what causes them to fail and is it a new engine then?

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Bummer what causes them to fail and is it a new engine then?
I'm guessing its just bad oil cooler. Some say it's the close proximity to the cat that causes it to go bad.

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Not according to 12g on page 21. He says the oil cooler is the same and in the same location. So I would imagine 2018 model could be affected as well. Only time will tell.
My mechanic who fitted the new oil cooler with the new engine remarked that whilst the dimensions of the unit were near identical, he said there are signs that the unit is different... Had slightly differences in design. Suggested it was clear that it was not an identical replacement unit.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Question is: How do we know if we go to the dealership and ask for it to be replaced (even if out of pocket to be safe) that we get the 'new' one?

I'm picking up a 2016 in a couple weeks so keen to know lol

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Here are the photos, hope they are some help?

attachment.jpg

My mechanic who fitted the new oil cooler with the new engine remarked that whilst the dimensions of the unit were near identical, he said there are signs that the unit is different... Had slightly differences in design. Suggested it was clear that it was not an identical replacement unit.
[MENTION=25292]TeamDenno[/MENTION]........if you get an opportunity, please post a pic of the new unit so we can compare it to 12g's pic.
Sponsored

Reactions: 12g