Sponsored

Oil Catch Cans

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hi all.
Have been reading a bit about how direct injection engines like our 5L Coyote should have an oil catch can.
So... my questions are these,
1. why would Ford not have one if it is needed to protect the engines as surely they would know,
2. as I would think most Mustangs out there don't have one, how many mustangs have had oil issues from NOT having a
catch can, and
3. as I would think most people on this site are enthusiasts, how many of you have installed a catch can?

Thanks
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ford offers 2 versions thru their 'performance' catalog. The better one doesn't fit my 2019 Bullitt. Not sure when the valve covers change. For my car, the other version attaches to an awkward long bracket, and looks like crap IMO. Plus it's very small, so I immediately removed it from consideration. The most popular one is a Jxx, the 2 'xx's being 2 other initials I don't remember. But it just hangs, with no bracket, so it also looks like an afterthought IMO, so no dice for me either. The best performing and best looking one is the UPR, which is a bit more expensive than the others, but you get a lot more for your money. That one has 8-oz, vs the Jxx 3, and the FP with 2 at the most.

Now, if you don't plan to continually work your engine hard, it shouldn't be needed. I'm going to monitor oil consumption on my new Bullitt. And if it consumes oil, will buy the UPR one and install it, to see if it was the rings, or the PCV valve. If oil consumption is minor, might leave things alone, to avoid extra expense, and clutter. By the way, if the PCV valve makes noise at idle, it's bad. Mine was bad with only 66 miles. When it makes noise at idle, it's not seating properly, and obviously allowing more oil into the intake than it should. After replacing it (it looked different inside), no noise, so hope I don't need a catch can. We'll see.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I use UPR 4 stage "passenger" side on all my 4 mustangs. It's good insurance & work as I do my own oil changes. I got an ecoboost truck I will do next.

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Grabber Blue A10
I have the JLT on the passenger side and the FP on the driver side(I just cut the plastic hoses and used the fittings w/my own tubing).

I don’t drive terribly hard & the passenger side always has 3-4 ounces every oil change. I would recommend one for that side. Otherwise, it’s going straight into the intake.

SVTchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1993 SVT Mustang Cobra, 2004 SVT F-150 Lightning, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
I used the M-6766-A50A from Ford Performance. It is emptied as recommended every oil change and is about 1/4 or less full each time (about 5K miles). I've stopped trying to figure out why Ford does or doesn't do something a long time ago but the fact of the matter is it stops oil from going where it it really shouldn't be going. IMO it looks good, easy to empty and, as with any separator, when properly maintained, there is no downside to having one.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Got to ask what's the big whoop about some oil mist going into the intake. Carbed cars with the PVC, off the valve cover. Allowing the oil mist into the intake system. Have been running that way for years. Once upon a time the same oil mist was dumped via a breather tube.

Seems to me, a catch can just complicates the oil change with no real benefit.

All eyes educate me ..cannot wait to read the answers.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Got to ask what's the big whoop about some oil mist going into the intake. Carbed cars with the PVC, off the valve cover. Allowing the oil mist into the intake system. Have been running that way for years. Once upon a time the same oil mist was dumped via a breather tube.

Seems to me, a catch can just complicates the oil change with no real benefit.

All eyes educate me ..cannot wait to read the answers.
here is my understanding on how this works, i'll be vague and brief, since im not an engineer or mechanic :crackup:

pi-vs-gdi-700x338.jpg

the image above shows a very basic illustration of the difference between port injected engines and direct injected engines. keep in mine though, our coyote3 is a bit different in that it actually has both port and direct injection components. its my understanding though, that the port injection doesnt pump fuel as much or as often as the direct injectors do though.

so, now looking at the image above, the blue area is intake air. this is also where all the oil and crap that didnt get burned off and didnt make it to the exhaust, gets recirculated to. it gets pumped back through the clean air intake to go through the combustion process again, in an attempt to get it to burn cleaner..

this sprays dirty oil and other crud all over the top side of the valves, as you can see from the picture for port injection, the injector is located above the valves. so it sprays gas over the valves, helping to clean them as they get coated in dirty oil and other deposits that never got burned up in the combustion phase.

now take a look at the direct injection illustration. notice the injector is below the valves, so dirty air comes in, coats the valves, and since gas isnt washed over the top of the valves. its injected directly into the cylinder and the valves stay dirty, get crud build up, have the possibility of not sealing as well (due to carbon build up), etc...

the catch can, catches (minimizes) the amount of this dirty substance, before it has a chance to coat the topside of your valves.

nms_1122

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicole
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1166
FWIW I have the FP passenger side separator. I empty it every few thousand miles and there's usually about an ounce of oil. Does it help overall in engine longevity or cleanliness? Not sure honestly, but it looks stock, was easy to install, and is easy to clean. Don't have the driver side because it makes it hard to access the oil dipstick and I haven't decided whether I want to go that route.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
FWIW I have the FP passenger side separator.
Hey, could you please post a picture (or 2) of your separator? I assume you have the xxxA version, with the long bracket, since the other one doesn't bolt to our valve covers. I've seen a couple of those installed, and they looked bad. Since you're saying it fits stock, maybe there was an installation issue or something. I'd like to see if it really looks stock to my more discerning eyes. Ha ha. Thanks brother.

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
I went with UPR great product! Dirty and clean side! It collects almost next to nothing and do I think they are worth it? Sure if you have the extra money laying around otherwise you will be fine without one.

Sponsored

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Hi all.
Have been reading a bit about how direct injection engines like our 5L Coyote should have an oil catch can.
So... my questions are these,
1. why would Ford not have one if it is needed to protect the engines as surely they would know,
2. as I would think most Mustangs out there don't have one, how many mustangs have had oil issues from NOT having a
catch can, and
3. as I would think most people on this site are enthusiasts, how many of you have installed a catch can?

Thanks
1. As previously stated our engines are both port and direct. Ford does not install them from the factory because it is a maintenance item with various intervals of maintenance.
If you don't maintain it correctly it will hurt your engine big time. For reference the separator available on the new GT500 is maintenance free.
2. Never heard of any cars having "issues" due to not having a catch can. It's there to keep oil mist out of your intake and not mandatory. Totally personal preference.
3. I've run them on my forced induction engines, but I'm not going to run one on the Bullitt. If Ford comes up with a maintenance free one I'll look at it.

Catch cans do work. Do they keep all oil out of the intake? Probably not. Like I said it's all personal preference. I'm sure you will ever notice a difference in how the car runs if you run one or don't. Since we have port injection I'm not too concerned about it.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW I have the FP passenger side separator. I empty it every few thousand miles and there's usually about an ounce of oil. Does it help overall in engine longevity or cleanliness? Not sure honestly, but it looks stock, was easy to install, and is easy to clean. Don't have the driver side because it makes it hard to access the oil dipstick and I haven't decided whether I want to go that route.

That's an honest answer right there....... and agree .

OP
OP
Bulutt

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
1. As previously stated our engines are both port and direct. Ford does not install them from the factory because it is a maintenance item with various intervals of maintenance.
If you don't maintain it correctly it will hurt your engine big time. For reference the separator available on the new GT500 is maintenance free.
2. Never heard of any cars having "issues" due to not having a catch can. It's there to keep oil mist out of your intake and not mandatory. Totally personal preference.
3. I've run them on my forced induction engines, but I'm not going to run one on the Bullitt. If Ford comes up with a maintenance free one I'll look at it.

Catch cans do work. Do they keep all oil out of the intake? Probably not. Like I said it's all personal preference. I'm sure you will ever notice a difference in how the car runs if you run one or don't. Since we have port injection I'm not too concerned about it.
Thanks for your detailed response to each of my questions. I am now comfortable that if I don't install a catch can I am not doing any long term harm to my engine but then as they are so relatively cheap maybe I will install one anyway as it can't hurt.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and advice..

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Heck you can make any of em
maintenance free. Cut a hole in the catch can bottom, run a tube that hangs below the block. Dumps oil over board, bingo maintenance free. The oil breather comes full circle, back to the 50's. LAMO

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I went with UPR great product! Dirty and clean side! It collects almost next to nothing and do I think they are worth it? Sure if you have the extra money laying around otherwise you will be fine without one.
Thanks for the video, that's really helpful. Which product is it exactly? I see a bunch on UPR's site and I can't figure out exactly which one to go with.

Thanks!
Sponsored