Ohlins road&track question

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Let's not overreact. When possible, clean them thoroughly and cover with some sort of "Shock-sock" to keep it protected from road debris. Then go drive it and see if the oil is, for certain, from the shocks. Maybe you happened across some oil on the road that you never even noticed and that's what we're seeing. If they still feel good, then I want to reserve judgement.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Let's not overreact.
this is the Internet. By definition we are expected to overreact. But good advice nonetheless. :)
If the seal is leaking you'll see a wet dirt ring on the shaft. If maybe you hit a curb super hard and the internal pressure spiked too high (over-filled?) then you might have gotten a one-time blow-out.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Let's not overreact. When possible, clean them thoroughly and cover with some sort of "Shock-sock" to keep it protected from road debris. Then go drive it and see if the oil is, for certain, from the shocks. Maybe you happened across some oil on the road that you never even noticed and that's what we're seeing. If they still feel good, then I want to reserve judgement.
If it was only one side yes but both sides have some oil on them though to be fair I did have a trans oil leak when put them on and drove them with it for some time so it might be just that but both sides. Is a bit much. Will get them clean and let you guys know.

OP
OP
javierhe

javierhe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 Raptor, 2022 Mach-e GTPE
I run 305/30/19 square with the Ohlins no problem. The Ohlins strut nut sit's lower than the top of the strut opening which give me extra 1 degree of camber for -3.2 so the 305/30's are nicely tucked in under the fenders. I run them on an ET26 Apex SM-10 19x11. Hope this helps.
However after the first track day both my front Ohlins have oil on them on the outside so not sure if this is just my set or just that's the quality you get. They still ride good but it's concerning.
IMG_0449.jpeg
Thanks for the info. I'd consider adding more camber if I go for bigger tires, good to know you were able to fit the 305s.

I just did a track day after I got them installed, but I haven't inspected the car yet since then... Will check for leaks.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I'd consider adding more camber if I go for bigger tires, good to know you were able to fit the 305s.

I just did a track day after I got them installed, but I haven't inspected the car yet since then... Will check for leaks.
mine probably is combination of poor roads and 305s that overheat the brake pads. Yours will probably be better but let us know how the inspection goes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
javierhe

javierhe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
mine probably is combination of poor roads and 305s that overheat the brake pads. Yours will probably be better but let us know how the inspection goes.
@bnightstar finally got a chance to look at the coilovers after my second track day with them.
So far they still look ok:
IMG_2132.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@bnightstar finally got a chance to look at the coilovers after my second track day with them.
So far they still look ok:
They looks much better than mine for sure. What settings you are using for them ?

OP
OP
javierhe

javierhe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
I left them at the default 7 clicks from factory. Tried a few days with 10 but since I don’t have a long commute and was already used to it, went back to 7.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I left them at the default 7 clicks from factory. Tried a few days with 10 but since I don’t have a long commute and was already used to it, went back to 7.
At 7 clicks the car was really hard to stop for me even at stop lights I'm way softer than 10 as well.

OP
OP
javierhe

javierhe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Javier
Vehicle(s)
At 7 clicks the car was really hard to stop for me even at stop lights I'm way softer than 10 as well.
Oh sorry, I think yours might be stiffer because you have the 515lbs/800lbs version, mine are the stock version from Ohlins.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh sorry, I think yours might be stiffer because you have the 515lbs/800lbs version, mine are the stock version from Ohlins.
the 515/800 lbs is the stock version from Ohlins. I'm currently on +10/+8 front/rear from full soft (26 clicks) so this mean -16 and -18 against the from factory -7. I'm asking mostly because I will be searching for some middle ground though at the moment on track the car is mindblowing in terms of performance but still a lot on the soft side of things. I did -7 on a mountain road and was fun but the car was having troubles in braking as it was skipping. Definitely need a test and tune day to find the right settings.
Sponsored

Last edited: