Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

Couple Quick question. Has anyone taken a Off the shelf generic fit muffler, say for example, a Thrush Welded 2 chamber (center in, exit offset) and put them on your 550? How'd it work out? What hanger did use use? Cut the one off the stock muffler or just bent some rod up? THanks in advance :)
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

Couple Quick question. Has anyone taken a Off the shelf generic fit muffler, say for example, a Thrush Welded 2 chamber (center in, exit offset) and put them on your 550? How'd it work out? What hanger did use use? Cut the one off the stock muffler or just bent some rod up? THanks in advance :)

[MENTION=15992]Jayme[/MENTION] has done this. The most common isn't off the shelf but last gen 11-12 GT500 mufflers. They require modifications to the hangers and custom fit pipes.

I researched the crap out of all sorts of universal stuff like this to try to do something cheap. Don't do it. Get an axleback made for the car. It'll sound better and you won't have to worry about fitment. I have had more exhaust combinations on this car than most, and started with a resonator delete.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=15992]Jayme[/MENTION] has done this. The most common isn't off the shelf but last gen 11-12 GT500 mufflers. They require modifications to the hangers and custom fit pipes.

I researched the crap out of all sorts of universal stuff like this to try to do something cheap. Don't do it. Get an axleback made for the car. It'll sound better and you won't have to worry about fitment. I have had more exhaust combinations on this car than most, and started with a resonator delete.
Was thinking the same thing. There are a few combinations/companies making cat/axle back exhausts for the 550. Was well pleased with Corsa. They fit like a glove.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. Reason being is that I can't justify spending all that cash (axleback) for some sound lol. But I guess the stock exhaust with Heartthrob H-pipe doesn't sound too bad :)
[ame]

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Do yourself a favor, save up for a decent axle-back of your choice. Cheap stuff might be good at first but it won't hold up as long as the branded ones. Plus fitment has also been mentioned and can't be any more true (some exceptions exist, ie. speed daddy long tubes seem to be a unicorn item that is $200 and have no fitment or quality issues for the most part).

Although, you could get some good after market mufflers and have them welded in place of the stock ones. SLP has some, my buddy has had good luck also with Cherry Bomb mufflers on his car (not mustang). Dynomax bullets don't look too bad either.

I'll say this and try not to sound biased...but I really grew to like my axle-back + I have the same H-Pipe as you. Was quiet when newer, but as the miles racked up, it broke in a little bit more and sounds perfect to my ears now.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. Reason being is that I can't justify spending all that cash (axleback) for some sound lol. But I guess the stock exhaust with Heartthrob H-pipe doesn't sound too bad :)
Gotta pay to play, to an extent. An actually engineered axleback for the car is worth every penny. There are a few that fit but clearly were just a universal muffler and some pipes slapped together to get to market. The ones that had some hours of development go into them stand head and shoulders above the rest for tonal quality, daily drivability (overall interior noise and drone...lack thereof).

The stock mufflers with a resonator delete has very little depth of tone because of its chambered design. Admittedly it sounds better with an H pipe but still very tinny. I doubt you'll regret doing one of better axlebacks available.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
You will smile every time you start a car with a good exhaust, or cringe every time with a bad one. I agree that buying something engineered is better. Sometimes one can cobble together a good sound with various components but it’s a crapshoot.

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
I did a generic x pipe and Borla XP generic mufflers that sound great. Cost was around $400.00.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do yourself a favor, save up for a decent axle-back of your choice. Cheap stuff might be good at first but it won't hold up as long as the branded ones. Plus fitment has also been mentioned and can't be any more true (some exceptions exist, ie. speed daddy long tubes seem to be a unicorn item that is $200 and have no fitment or quality issues for the most part
There's nothing wrong with the quality of universal style mufflers. The companies who produce axle-backs designed for our vehicles will claim to have a higher quality product, but this is just marketing hype. Unless its stainless steel, it will rust if you live up north. You will receive superior figment, I'll give you that, but that's a moot point if you plan to have the setup welded at a muffler/exhaust shop.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing wrong with the quality of universal style mufflers. The companies who produce axle-backs designed for our vehicles will claim to have a higher quality product, but this is just marketing hype. Unless its stainless steel, it will rust if you live up north. You will receive superior figment, I'll give you that, but that's a moot point if you plan to have the setup welded at a muffler/exhaust shop.
I think Borla, Corsa, AWE would all be able to refute this claim with data and evidence of development of unique mufflers for the S550 GT. Quality also means tone and any & all vehicle and engine-specific designs for drone elimination. Corsa does not sell universal mufflers for this reason, for instance, outside of some of the diesel truck stuff.
[MENTION=13824]Shawn@Corsa[/MENTION] [MENTION=23056]david borla[/MENTION] [MENTION=28774]Josh/AWE[/MENTION]

For as-manufactured quality? Sure, similar/the same. A Borla Pro XS will be of very similar quality to one of their axleback mufflers.

Sponsored

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think Borla, Corsa, AWE would all be able to refute this claim with data and evidence of development of unique mufflers for the S550 GT. Quality also means tone and any & all vehicle and engine-specific designs for drone elimination.
Obviously they would refute that as they are marketing driven companies selling their direct fit axle-backs at a premium. I was purposely limiting quality to the physical aspect of the products as quality of tone is highly subjective.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Having no drone is well worth the price of admission on a well engineered aftermarket exhaust.

The other added benefit is that fitment is excellent...they are truly bolt-on affairs.

The big downside of going with an aftermarket muffler only is....what happens when you don't like it? You have already spent the money on the muffler and the shop to fabricate/weld it into the correct position. You will have to cut the old (and now worthless mufflers) off, buy new ones and repeat the whole procedure.

Honestly, you are far better off going with a used axleback if you are on a budget.

A full catback however will allow you to revert back to stock if you ever feel the need...or more easily swap to other aftermarket setups as they are all cut-free affairs.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Had mine done locally with magnaflow mufflers. It's not mandrel bent, but it sounds great with catless headers. A lot cheaper than a store bought cat back.
FB_IMG_1511420996444.jpg

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input guys. :)

Jayme

DoggystyleRacing®
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@Jayme has done this. The most common isn't off the shelf but last gen 11-12 GT500 mufflers. They require modifications to the hangers and custom fit pipes.

I've done it with SEVERAL different mufflers. The muffler shop will have to cut and weld and make their own hangars. I'm currently on the GT500 axleback with a 3" Double X Pipe. I'd just buy a catback exhaust and be done with it. Go higher quality (Borla, Corsa, ARH, AWE)

Just a word of caution, stay away from the "Two Chamber" mufflers. I had them on mine and my wifes cars. Drone is absolutely terrible and we tried both the Flowmaster Super 44 and 40 Series Delta. It'll never sound like an old school mid mounted muffler (79-04) mustang. Save yourself the $$$$$$$$$$ and the trouble, buy once. If you must go this route, I've had the most success with Jones MAXFlow mufflers. They are CHEAP, stainless, made in the USA and flow more than a comparable Magnaflow muffler.
Sponsored